Home Main Category General Firearms

Mother of God, why now?

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,557 Senior Member
Found a Ruger M77 Hawkeye "African" in 9.3x62mm online. $800. One round shot through it, NIB condition....

That'd bankrupt a good part of one build budget....
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    This is precisely why I don't look around either online or in gunshops when I already have purchases in mind. :tooth:

Sage advice for sure.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 838 Senior Member
    I know the feeling, at least it's impinging on another projects budget though, you'd be really PO'ed if you had the money then had to drop the cash on something annoyingly necessary like a washing machine :jester:

Have you looked at Husqvarna's?, the 9.3x62 chambered ones here linger on the auction sites and then go for well less then $600 NZD, I don't think people recognise the quality of them either here or abroad.
    waipapa13 wrote: »
    I know the feeling, at least it's impinging on another projects budget though, you'd be really PO'ed if you had the money then had to drop the cash on something annoyingly necessary like a washing machine :jester:

Have you looked at Husqvarna's?, the 9.3x62 chambered ones here linger on the auction sites and then go for well less then $600 NZD, I don't think people recognise the quality of them either here or abroad.

I don't think their too common in the states. I've seen them from time to time, just not in the 9.3mm caliber.
    waipapa13 wrote: »

Here's typical pricing. The Ruger will at least have warranty/repair service available.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/husqvarna-rifles/husqvarna-bolt-gun-9-3x62.cfm?gun_id=100663469
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 838 Senior Member
    True enough, plus better aftermarket I would imagine,
    Here's an old grey husky with a split stock, which I imagine you'd replace in short order anyway, and an average bore
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hunting-shooting/rifles/centrefire/auction-1057519071.htm
    Your auction is way nicer, but $400 more nicer? The auction I linked had a $259 US reserve btw.
    Good luck in your quest anyway, it's been a couple of years now since you started looking hasn't it.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,738 Senior Member
    I had a Husqvarna in 8x57. It was a fine rifle, beechwood stock. Great bore, lousy finish on the stock someone had brushed on there. I got it here in the states; they had plenty of rifles, maybe a 9.6, I don't know, doesn't appeal to me a bit.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    There might be an interesting, if not disconcerting reason why no second round was ever shot through it. I'd ask quite a few questions.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member

It will wait.......... opportunity knocks but once.

another....wont turn up

at least somebody knows how to enable here :jester:
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    So. . .when does it arrive at your FFL?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Don't listen to him. Dud you buy it yet? :devil:
    Bigslug wrote: »
    So. . .when does it arrive at your FFL?

I haven't bought it. It would exhaust my gun fund too much right now....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Found a Ruger M77 Hawkeye "African" in 9.3x62mm online. $800. One round shot through it, NIB condition....

Let's see, I paid right at $375 for the Ruger 77 donor gun, then my gun smith charged me $450 for the rebarrel and trigger job. That included bluing too because it wasn't a stainless barrel I bought.

So that's what? $825 total? M gun smith has done a good bit of work for me and he didn't gig me on this at all, he never does. I think most gun smiths would have charged me up to $200-$300 more for that job, so this will be a heck of a deal. Knowing what I do about the 9.3x62, I'd buy that baby in a heart beat!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Let's see, I paid right at $375 for the Ruger 77 donor gun, then my gun smith charged me $450 for the rebarrel and trigger job. That included bluing too because it wasn't a stainless barrel I bought.

So that's what? $825 total? M gun smith has done a good bit of work for me and he didn't gig me on this at all, he never does. I think most gun smiths would have charged me up to $200-$300 more for that job, so this will be a heck of a deal. Knowing what I do about the 9.3x62, I'd buy that baby in a heart beat!

Evil.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    We all know that 'gun funds' can be manipulated wildly, by promises to ones self that don't have to be kept. It's like sneaking an extra piece of bacon at the breakfast buffet. :devil:
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Projects can always wait for great deals you stumble upon. Your project isn't going anywhere. This Ruger will evaporate soon.

Perhaps. I'm a little hung up on it as the blued version. I'd prefer the stainless.
    horselips wrote: »
    There might be an interesting, if not disconcerting reason why no second round was ever shot through it. I'd ask quite a few questions.

A 9.3 will let you know you just pulled the trigger if you don't have a brake and/or a good pad or iffin it's a light rifle. I know lots of guys who one shot would cure em.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Evil.

Thinking about this, I didn't think that when you have a good gun smith do a rebarrel you're really upgrading it over a factory rifle. If your gun smith is worth his salt he's going to true up the action with the barrel. Everything will be straight in line. AND mine will order you a better than factory barrel. This one was another Shilen Match barrel. So even though it costs $800+ I got a first class rig. But still a kickin'..... , well, let's just say it will hurt you after a few rounds on the bench.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    I haven't bought it. It would exhaust my gun fund too much right now....

Targets of opportunity being what they are, unless you're holding out for the CZ version.

While stainless has become my hunting rifle material of choice, a stainless 9.3x62 just seems a bit wrong.

It's a SWEET round. I ordered in a CZ 550 for a buddy of mine back when I was slinging 4473's for a living, and it became his numero uno cast bullet rifle. Enough thud for anything that walks, without the pesky uber-magnum shoulder dislocation and retina detachment. WWI drove the Germans out of equatorial Africa, but the 9.3x62 is still there.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Wheelsman56Wheelsman56 Member Posts: 225 Member

I've shot Snakes 9.3 and that was one sweet rifle. Love the round too, definitely lets you know it is there, but recoil really isn't terrible. I'd love to take one back over to Africa to hunt again.
    I've shot Snakes 9.3 and that was one sweet rifle. Love the round too, definitely lets you know it is there, but recoil really isn't terrible. I'd love to take one back over to Africa to hunt again.[/QUOT

You're right, it's not terrible, I've shot "Terrible" and it weren't fun. But you're not one of those I meant when I said Some Guys, hehehehe! But even guys like you and me would think the 9.3 was a little much after a few rounds at the bench. However a shot or two at game and you barelyn know you pulled a trigger. That is a sweet rifle. My smith really outdid his self. Actually, all it really needs is a decent recoil pad. That Ruger Hockey Puck doesn't do much to tame it.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    A 9.3 will let you know you just pulled the trigger if you don't have a brake and/or a good pad or iffin it's a light rifle. I know lots of guys who one shot would cure em.

I bought my Winchester model 70 in .375 H&H years ago from a LGS. It was like new, it also came with a box of ammo with 2 cartridges missing. The guy traded it in on a Model 70 in .270, if I remember correctly. The LGS owner said he had it for one week. His loss, my gain.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    My 7mm STW came with a box of ammo with 3 spent cartridges.:tooth:
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    I bought my Winchester model 70 in .375 H&H years ago from a LGS. It was like new, it also came with a box of ammo with 2 cartridges missing. The guy traded it in on a Model 70 in .270, if I remember correctly. The LGS owner said he had it for one week. His loss, my gain.
    Jermanator wrote: »

Girly men return a gun because of recoil. I guess they forget these things aren't bench queens. They're stalk and shoot guns. Standing, off hand, recoil--even stout recoil--is more than manageable and bearable.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »

As I remember, that STW wasn't all that bad, and I shot it off the bench!
    Jerry
    That was the one with a brake on it that was in the fire. Her replacement doesn't have a brake (yet). It kicks, but is manageable. That is the one with the partial box of ammo.
    -Thomas Paine

That's an interesting swap. I love my .270 and it's a decent cartridge that has always served me well, but no way, I ain't hunting Rhino's with it. Different class of firearm altogether. I guess he found that Elephant guns weren't his forte.

Yeah, and I know there's some wise butt here that will add something like, "Yeah Coyotes ain't Rhinos!"

:tooth:
    That's an interesting swap. I love my .270 and it's a decent cartridge that has always served me well, but no way, I ain't hunting Rhino's with it. Different class of firearm altogether. I guess he found that Elephant guns weren't his forte.

Yeah, and I know there's some wise butt here that will add something like, "Yeah Coyotes ain't Rhinos!"

:tooth:

Hey y'all, it's all in fun.
    horselips wrote: »
    To address your concerns Horselips, it is very common to find heavy kicking guns that are lightly used-- many times traded in by people that bought them for the impressive ballistics, unaware that there is a price to pay for those ballistics. Even when the buyer knows what he is getting himself into, most aren't shot very much due to the limited availability of dangerous game in North America and their lack of practicality as a range plinker.
    -Thomas Paine
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    One opening day of deer season a few years ago my LGS had a brand new Remington 700 7 Mag. on the used rack- - - -one round fired, with blood and eyebrow hair still in the scope eye bell. The guy had traded it even for a used iron-sight .30-30!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    One opening day of deer season a few years ago my LGS had a brand new Remington 700 7 Mag. on the used rack- - - -one round fired, with blood and eyebrow hair still in the scope eye bell. The guy had traded it even for a used iron-sight .30-30!
    Jerry

What a quitter.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I would go as far as to say that most .30-06s don't get shot much, either, except maybe the M-1. Locally, I can find great deals on rifles chambered in .30-06 or 7mm Magnum, but a used .308 is rare. The perception is that the .30-06 is rougher because of the longer cartridge, when there is actually very little difference, with the same bullet. Mine likes max loaded 165 gr. Noslers that don't kick any worse than the .308 I had, years ago, shooting 150 gr. Sierras.