Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Did anyone listen to Trumps Foreign Policy speech today?

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 16,925 Senior Member
Nothing in it I could find fault with....No more nation building? No more trying to cram western demcracy down the throats of people that don't know want anything to do with western democracy? Putting Americas interests first? Surrounding himself with people who know what they're doing?....all in all, he sounded pretty "presidential" today....
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    You got more out of it than I did.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,925 Senior Member
    Perhaps becasue I'm not listening with a jaundiced ear....you see..at this point, I still don't care....
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,921 Senior Member
    I saw a portion of it at work today and thought he sounded very professional, along with putting his thoughts about foreign affairs out there.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    He's hired some pretty sharp folks of late...maybe he's finally listening to them? If so, good for him. Better late than never, I suppose.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    He's pretty good at foreign affairs- - - - - -he even married one!
    Jerry
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 479 Member
    Overall, good speech. Some areas need to be fleshed out,but he has time to do that.
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    The so-called foreign policy "experts" found some fault with it, but in general I thought it was a pretty good speech. Now, if he could remain that way until the convention I think he would maybe get some more converts. His ideas almost sound libertarian in nature.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    Listened to an interview with Trump's foreign policy adviser on NPR. The interviewer tried to point out some "contradictions" in the policy, but the explanations were logical and consistent. I've got no real problems with what I heard, per se.

About the worst thing is the use of "America First." Which was the policy espoused before we got into WWII. That has some historical negative connotations, but really only matters to those who pay attention to history.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    Listened to an interview with Trump's foreign policy adviser on NPR. The interviewer tried to point out some "contradictions" in the policy, but the explanations were logical and consistent. I've got no real problems with what I heard, per se.

About the worst thing is the use of "America First." Which was the policy espoused before we got into WWII. That has some historical negative connotations, but really only matters to those who pay attention to history.
    Before WWII the Republicans were more "non-interventionist" and did not want to get into the war until it was impossible to ignore, but I don't think that the America First policy had anything to do with the war. I believe Reagan had a similar slogan as as Trump.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    I think the Reagan/Trump comparison is regarding "Make America Great" vs. "Make America Great Again." But I could be wrong.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Trump will defend America from globalism.

T R U M P
    Everybody else is owned.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    For some reason, and mostly because we are full of ourselves, the USA has thought that our democracy system will work in other nations, and we have sought to impose our will for democracy on others.

We have toppled governments we thought were not friendly to us and left nothing to replace it, assuming the people would resort to forming democracies. This was hopeful, but misinformed.

Leaderless people turn to their remaining community leaders to establish order. All throughout the middle east, those remaining leaders are Mullahs and they form Sharia law type based governments to replace the dictators. So while we sought to establish democracy, it was replaced with theocracy.

While I am not an isolationist, I feel strongly we need to be more forward looking and let regional players stick their noses in those situations, not us.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    I think one of the best descriptions of some of the Middle Eastern countries is "Tribes with Flags." I think one of the key things we've ignored, policy-wise, is that many countries don't really have a nationalist idea, but more "my group's in charge, so now we can settle some scores." So they go against "their own countrymen" and you get problems.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,925 Senior Member
    You cannot have a democratic form of government in any country that is a theocracy or rife with tribalism. Iraq is plauged with both. When Rhodesia became Zimbabwe, one of the first things that happened was tribal genocide... The point being...we should have learned a long time ago to quit trying to jam our morals and standards down other peoples throats...
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Perhaps becasue I'm not listening with a jaundiced ear....you see..at this point, I still don't care....

My 'jaundiced ear' heard a guy identify a few problems that were not news to anyone who keeps up with this stuff. He criticized recent military interventions, and then described his own plan for one that could have been conceived by Sarah Palin. Everybody seems to think it's wonderful because he didn't viciously attack other Republicans for a full 30 minutes - very presidential. :roll:
  • forty5forty5 New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    Trump,doesn't have a clue about foreign policy,and people had the nerve to criticize Obama pollicis.
    :yesno:
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    forty5 wrote: »
    Trump,doesn't have a clue about foreign policy,and people had the nerve to criticize Obama pollicis.

Bush and the neo-cons so screwed up the Middle East we're trillions in the hole and caring for thousands of horribly wounded vets. Obama and his progressives have been no better - almost snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in Iraq and Afghanistan - and we may still lose them both before this mess is solved. China is rising, the NorKs are getting away with everything, Iran is on track to get the Islamic Bomb, Europe is unraveling and you think Trump is clueless? - reality check - we've been clueless for two administrations and counting.

T R U M P
    He'll do just fine with foreign policy. At least we'll get our wall. No matter who pays for it.
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    I think one of the best descriptions of some of the Middle Eastern countries is "Tribes with Flags." I think one of the key things we've ignored, policy-wise, is that many countries don't really have a nationalist idea, but more "my group's in charge, so now we can settle some scores." So they go against "their own countrymen" and you get problems.
    You and Jayhawker have an excellent grasp of these inherent problems. I observed the aftermath of this in the Balkans. I determined the tribal philosophy is: "Never forget. Always get even". Although it could take centuries to acquire the "Big Stick" revenge is at the top of the "To Do" list. There is an accurate account of this in a book titled "Blood and Vengeance" by Chuck Sudetic.
    Old Arab proverb: If you wait 20 years to get even, you're impatient.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    He's pretty good at foreign affairs- - - - - -he even married one!
    Jerry

HEY! I resemble that Remark!.....:jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

This and the group is defined by their particular translation of the Koran, and that depends on how their particular Imam reads it. Been there Done that! or Seen that!

This can have a big bearing on how radical they are.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Dealing with any sort of group that relies on force and/or terror to achieve their goals is simple- - - -make them more terrified of the consequences of their actions than acting on their ideology or religion demands. Nobody with any sense of self-preservation willingly sticks his fingers into a light socket or a spinning fan blade. If he's crazy enough to do things regardless of the personal consequences, we should kill him before he gets a chance to do his thing, and have no regrets about it! It's pointless to negotiate with a black widow spider or a rattlesnake.
    Jerry
    horselips wrote: »
    Bush and the neo-cons so screwed up the Middle East we're trillions in the hole and caring for thousands of horribly wounded vets. Obama and his progressives have been no better - almost snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in Iraq and Afghanistan - and we may still lose them both before this mess is solved. China is rising, the NorKs are getting away with everything, Iran is on track to get the Islamic Bomb, Europe is unraveling and you think Trump is clueless? - reality check - we've been clueless for two administrations and counting.

T R U M P
    He'll do just fine with foreign policy. At least we'll get our wall. No matter who pays for it.

Hey, Bush did good with Iraq except for two things: First, he stuck with Rummy too long and Second, he should have hand picked Saddam's successor. He should have gotten one just as bad, except it should have been somebody like the Shau or Ferdinand Marcos, both of which were our allies. The only problem with Saddam was he wasn't our ally and he violated the people's human rights right out in front of the world. At least the Shau did it behind closed doors. But most Muslim countries need a bully to keep them straight.

A Muslim country is pretty much going to be ruled right out of the Koran and that book is about 1400 years old, before the advent of the concept of Human Rights.