Home Main Category General Firearms

I'm Tacticool now, got a Black rifle

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
It came in today and I picked it up. Plenty of better pics out there, but anyway...here it is. I like the FA/DC/BD (even though I'm RH) feature. I kinda wanted a carry handle, but don't really need it. I like the flip up rear sight.

Trigger is heavy, they say they get better with use, but I already ordered a Ruger Elite 2 stage trigger they sell. Found a good price on them at Grab a Gun. It came with one 30 rd Magpul, but I had/bought some more.

Bbl is medium heavy.

Got a Midway AR soft case and a slip on pad for the butt stock, not really for the recoil reduction, but for the comfort of shooting and fit to my shoulder, makes the stock an inch or so longer when extended.


So I hope to hit the range tomorrow with a variety of ammo...52/53/55/62/64 and 75 grain to see how it does with its 1 in 8 twist.


I burnt off some Army grid/little silhouette in middle zero targets for the M-4 and will see what I can do @ 25 yards to start and get it zeroed . Way I see anymore Imay end up putting some optics on it later on, I dunno. Just for keepin them outta the backyard and informal shootin on the range.........

[IMG][/img]IMG_0381_zps0elflsqi.jpg

[IMG][/img]IMG_0382_zpsexbv0qug.jpg

[IMG][/img]IMG_0379_zpsabgdk9w2.jpg

[IMG][/img]IMG_0378_zpspqnj1ok4.jpg
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
«1

Replies

  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Leave the sticker on the barrel and let it melt off.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,891 Senior Member
    Should serve you well Chief. Congrats.

    Sako
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Leave the sticker on the barrel and let it melt off.

    Funny you mentioned that, I don't have a case yet (on order) so I put a rifle sock on it after a little trouble, then just went back a few minutes ago and had to pull it off just to remove that split slide on Ruger sticker.

    I imagine it would have stank a little when it melted. :rotflmao::rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    "Hey congrats! You are now officially a danger to society." Quote Truetone911



    I am a danger to my credit card lately...........will pay it off AGAIN next month when the bill comes and hopefully I'm done with the bigger purchases fer awhile.

    That's what I said last month too when I paid it off :tooth: :guns: :guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    So when are you getting your next one?
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Congratulations! Welcome to the world of "Evil Black Rifles"....and you suck!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Awesome! You are now one of the cool kids :cool2:

    Something different fer me to mess with. I want to keep it simple, maybe a couple aftermarket items and that's it.................for now anyway.

    OK trigger/butt-stock pad-extender on order and maybe a sling later it has a QD for the front and a buckle on the rear.

    Some of my memory is coming back, been since 96 (when I retired from the Army and they were M16A2s by then not M-4s in my unit) since I had fooled with one much besides shootin a couple and handling some friends ARs and some in Iraq and AFG the soldiers had because I was curious about all them gizmos they had hanging on them.

    Another avenue in gun collecting/shootin I haven't explored much or had any desire to, but I gave in finally. I can't see myself getting any more of them...can I?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    So when are you getting your next one?

    Don't quote me on this, but probably never..................well unless a great deal comes my way or ...............naw one is enough..............
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,740 Senior Member
    I have heard good news about the Ruger ARs. Looks good. I'll bet it's a shooter, as well.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    pjames777 wrote: »
    Congratulations! Welcome to the world of "Evil Black Rifles"....and you suck!

    We used to call them Pea Shooters or Varmint Rifles in the Army.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I never owned or even shot one.
    It does however have all the appearance of being tacticool. :cool:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    I have heard good news about the Ruger ARs. Looks good. I'll bet it's a shooter, as well.

    I hope so. Everything I have seen says folks liked them, especially at their price point (around $600 street store price give or take a few bucks) for a decent "Entry Level" AR.


    It was a toss up between the Ruger and a S&W Sport and I just happened to see this available for the price I was willing to pay. I see S&W has added the extra features like a Forward Assist and Dust Cover on their latest ones. Ruger put a lot into these and did some good market research on these, even being a Johnny Come Lately with a Gas Impingement AR I think they hit it right.

    The others are Piston ones by Ruger and really expensive.

    Other alternative was a M15 Patrol model with a carrying handle by Bushmaster, I think.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    I never owned or even shot one.
    It does however have all the appearance of being tacticool. :cool:

    Come to the SE Shoot and I'll bet several will have some flavor of an AR 15 you could shoot.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Now you need body armor ... and 2 extra trauma plates and duct tape. Also dont forget those special wall walking boots!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Now you need body armor ... and 2 extra trauma plates and duct tape. Also dont forget those special wall walking boots!

    No thanks, I wore that heavy stuff (minus the tape) a few times in Iraq and it is heavy. I'm doing good these days to lug what I bring along to the range from my car to my firing point, takes a few trips.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    :yousuck:
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    :yousuck:

    Hey Ned, I want a pic of you shootin it at the SE Shoot.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    You know I've only shot one 3 times [M-16]

    Fam fired on Okinawa on the way to Vietnam
    Fam fired at the DaNang dump and got a secondary explosion
    and went to the range with it at MCAS Cherry Point and had to shoot with a gas mask on.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    You know I've only shot one 3 times [M-16]

    Fam fired on Okinawa on the way to Vietnam
    Fam fired at the DaNang dump and got a secondary explosion
    and went to the range with it at MCAS Cherry Point and had to shoot with a gas mask on.

    What did you use in basic, a musket?


    Congrats BC, looks just like mine used to. I never had to adjust the iron sights, 1st shot out of the box I hit steel at 50 yds, next 4 or 5 shots at 100 yds. Finally missed at 150. Now it sports a diamondhead forend and a Vortex red dot. Hope to have a new trigger before the SE shoot. Probably about 1000 rounds or more, mostly 55 gr reloads and not one failure.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,989 Senior Member
    Good for you!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,915 Senior Member
    Looks good BC
    Hope you enjoy it
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    You will get another. One never stays that way for long.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    You will get another. One never stays that way for long.

    I see a money pit with no bottom with these things and all the stuff available for them and different ones to buy...........I just want one.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    What did you use in basic, a musket?


    He ain't quite that old, maybe a Sharps :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Good for you!!

    Thanks, having one in my collection can't hurt nothing, but my wallet :guns: :guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Looks good BC
    Hope you enjoy it

    Me too!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I just want one.
    That is how it always starts. Then you will start accumulating magazines. Then spare parts here and there. After that, you say to yourself, "Self-- you already have ammo, and magazines. Now you got these here spare parts. If you picked up a few more parts, you could have you a whole nuther' AR!"

    ...and on and on it goes.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Nice grab! You suck even more because you bought one before me. :guns:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Now you gone and done it. You done left me behind. There's just a few of us that don't have one yet. I thought you and me would be the last hold outs. Now I guess it's me an Early.

    Oh, and you do suck so BAD!!! But that's OK! You can suck all the hurricanes to Florida and keep em from coming to Texas this season.

    :yousuck::drool::roll2:

    Seriously, Congrats! You've made it to where I wanna be,:win:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    Very cool Big Chief now you just need this on top with next months clear Credit Card.
    http://nightforceoptics.com/nxs/2-5-10x42
    They work very well, I have one on a CZ bolt gun, ,it or one of the smaller objective variants if you prefer.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement