Home Main Category General Firearms

AR triggers

Wheelsman56Wheelsman56 MemberPosts: 225 Member
I am looking for a trigger to put into the 20inch 5.56 rifle I am building. Mostly will be used for bench work, maybe the occasional hog or so. Rifle will be wearing a 4.5x18 scope to play at longer ranges.

I am torn between going with a single stage trigger or a 2 stage trigger. I know a lot of people recommend the stage for precision rifle since you can pull through the first stage, make and adjustments to your sight picture or breathing, and then pull through the second stage. At the same time, a crisp single stage seems appealing as well.

For single stage Ive been looking at CMC 3.5lb, and Timney. Geisseles have excellent reviews for 2 stage triggers but are a bit more pricey. For those I have been considering the G2S and the SSA. From what I have read, when you are actually shooting the rifle the difference between the G2S and the SSA is indistinguishable.

Any thoughts and or recommendations would be appreciated.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Rock River National Match...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,040 Senior Member
    I have the CMC and Geissele SSA.

For hunying, I prefer the CMC. For bench, the SSA.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Two weekends back got to try a Geissele SDE flat bow trigger and I think I could love it! I don't have enough time on it but even with he limited few rounds I fired it was easy to move through the first stage and the second was ... HOLY S___! For me it would only be a bench setup with a possible varmint if setup was stationary. The one problem I have is the damn thing north of $225 about everywhere and I don't punch clover leaf holes that well anymore (not that it was ever easy).
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    A friend of mine has about 5 or 6 high end brand name triggers. He prefers his Jard slightly over his Hiperfire. I have a Hiperfire 24C and love it, looking at buying another soon. At the lightest pull weight, about 2 lbs, you get 30% more hammer force then mil-spec. No pretravel, very short and fast reset. It's a straight blade that comes with an optional shoe which I really like.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    I have a RRA NM and a Geissele SSA. There is no discernible difference. Certainly not $100 worth. If I ever do another build it will be with a RRA trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    I have a RRA NM and a Geissele SSA. There is no discernible difference. Certainly not $100 worth. If I ever do another build it will be with a RRA trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've heard that the Giessele is the best 3-gun trigger, and all the range operators say that you can't shoot well unless you're using a Giessele.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Wheelsman56Wheelsman56 Member Posts: 225 Member
    Big Chief wrote: »

I actually have one of those laying around, but I figured something nicer was in order for a longer range rig shooting for tiny groups.

The other option I have is to drop the PSA into my defensive carbine and install the single stage CMC 4.5lb that I already have into the 20 inch gun. Once again I figured that a lighter trigger would aid in the bench work.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I have several Geissele SSAE. I like them a lot. I have never used the RRA NM.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    I've heard that the Giessele is the best 3-gun trigger, and all the range operators say that you can't shoot well unless you're using a Giessele.

My Geissele is disappointing enough that I contacted the company about it. Their only answer was that it is supposed to be a "forgiving" trigger and the creep and 1/4-1/2" reset were inherit in the design, and that I should have bought a SSA-E for a crisp break and better reset.

Like I said, RRA NM for me from here on, unless I decide to try a LaRue (because they will at least have good customer service).
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Like I said, RRA NM for me from here on, unless I decide to try a LaRue (because they will at least have good customer service).

SS3, if you order their MBT on the 'patiences is a virtue' price $125 you save $75 over the rush price. RUMOR (and I mean rumor was a 2 to 3 week back log). It is a sweet 2 stage ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    My Geissele is disappointing enough that I contacted the company about it. Their only answer was that it is supposed to be a "forgiving" trigger and the creep and 1/4-1/2" reset were inherit in the design, and that I should have bought a SSA-E for a crisp break and better reset.

But it's a Gissele. It's the best. Only the super-super-secret squirrels with the most operational beards use them.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member

And they send neat stuff along with your order....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I have the CMC and Geissele SSA.

For hunying, I prefer the CMC. For bench, the SSA.

Can't add much more than that.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,248 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »

I tried one of those when I was ordering the lower parts group for a recent build. It's now in a zip loc somewhere with all of the rest of the milspec triggers I've replaced. Not a heck of a lot of improvement but it doesn't cost $100+.

The best I've found under $100 is Trident.

http://www.primaryarms.com/3-lb/p/3-lb/
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,575 Senior Member
    I have a CMC, a Jard, and a RRA NM.

For a pure bench gun, the Jard is awesome. Otherwise, too light.
    Outside that, the RRA can't be beat, for the money.
    I like the CMC just fine, but, for 2x the price, it's not 2x better than the RRA.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I have two CMC units, a 3.5 pound for my SPR and a 4.0 for my carbine. They feel great, they're consistent, and I'd buy them again. My armorer buddy uses Geissele triggers almost exclusively, and his 3-gun rifle has a pull at exactly 3 pounds, but it's so crisp it feels like 3 ounces! Scary, but so is he when the buzzer goes off, so...

My newer BCM lower came with their stock trigger, and while the pull is around 4-5 pounds, it's got minimal creep and a very definite feel to the break.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I don't think the average rifleman needs anything better than the NM trigger, for a rifle that may be used for hunting or self defense. Sure, a guy that shoots long range or does everything from the bench can benefit from the very best, but a smooth 4lb. trigger is so much better than an assembly-line factory trigger that it will definitely improve groups for most non-professional shooters. I never had a good trigger on anything for forty years, and really had no idea how much difference it could make, until I got the RRA lower with the NM trigger already installed. It was an amazing difference to me, and I've installed it on three other AR's since. Yes, there are better ones, I have no doubt. But, I would be a little nervous with a super-light trigger on my rifles.
    What about the reliability concerns regarding the RRA triggers that float around the "always" truthful internet? I have no experience with the trigger first hand.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    What about the reliability concerns regarding the RRA triggers that float around the "always" truthful internet? I have no experience with the trigger first hand.

I'm a newfer on ARs just got my first a Ruger 556 and that is why I ordered Rugers Elite 2 stage aftermarket trigger. $102 from Grab a Gun is the best price I saw on it. Not just a trigger I know will work, but also a hand grip and some kinda selector is rod/pin is included.

Dang, went down 5 bucks since I ordered mine last week..........https://grabagun.com/ruger-32.html

As others said there may be ones just as good for less, but I'm playing it safe and know they will back up their product 100%.

If there is ever another AR in my future, I'll consider others like one from Bravo Company or something.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

I'm telling you, buy once cry once. Hiperfire 24C, 30% more hammer energy, 2 lb pull, no creep, no pretravel and fastest reset in the business. If you want it for bench shooting, you can tailor the weight by moving the shoe up or down or for a whole nother pull weight range, change to one of 3 sets of hammer springs. I've shot a couple RRs, one in a Stag and one in a custom build and there is no comparison. RR is great for the money but if you have the money, there are better triggers.

And once again just to clarify, I am not looking for a 3 gun trigger. Many comments have focused on that aspect of shooting, both facetiously and and with good intent. This will mostly be a bench/long range target gun with the potential to very occasionally, if ever, taken into the field for hogs/deer.
    While many 3gun shooters use it, unless you are after a 2 stage trigger it will suit bench rest needs perfectly. I was shooting mine saturday off a bench and loving it. The fact that it resets very fast makes it great for 3 gun or other speed type matches but a fast reset does not preclude it from precision work. It's light but not so light you can't carry it around in the woods.

Also the trigger shoe gives much better tactile input because it's wider than just the blade.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member

I don't do rapid fire, so I can't really say. They always work for me, and I haven't seen any knocks against them, other than to say there are more expensive ones with a better feel to some people.
    I've had a RRA NM on my AR since I've put it together. Never had a trigger-related issue with the rifle. Actually the only issue with that rifle was induced by a combination of filthy rifle and sub-standard ammo.

Can't comment on the other triggers, just saying I've never had an issue with the RRA.
    Overkill is underrated.

That Larue does look really nice and has excellent reviews.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I've been a LaRue customer for years, and have always been more than happy with their gear and their customer service. Not cheap, but built to last and then some.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I have had a RRA NM trigger since late 2010. I have used and messed with that rifle a BUNCH without any trigger related malfunctions. A few user induced is all.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    I like their "I got plenty of time / I can't wait, gotta have it now" options. And their "Meticulous triggers built by our staff toolmakers ... without a stopwatch in sight" statement.

I get a kick out of creative marketing.

The only thing LaRue I have purchased is their Tactical HandStop...but I like em.

Ya too bad that from what I have seen online, the "I got plenty of time" option takes forever. Everything for this rifle is ready to go except for the trigger, and I want to go shooting...
    Decided to go with NM trigger. Should have it shortly and will put the whole rifle together.