5 Dead Giveaways That You Conceal Carry

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    I wear 5.11 Tac Lite pants almost every work day. It's either them or BDUs for our work pants, and the 5.11s don't get as shabby looking as BDUs, nor do they do it as quickly. Consequently I sometimes wear tactical pants if I stop by a store on my way home from work.

Ain't shaving my beard, either. Might trim it, but it's grave before shave.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    I saw that thesis before and for the most part it is hogwash
    each of those categories depend on where you live;
    but, someone got paid to write it.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    Most of the concealed carriers that I think I have spotted are simply wearing their shirt tails out and have a bulge at 3 o'clock, that they keep pulling their shirt down over.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Yup
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    While not an item of dress, the guy that is constantly patting himself down (or feeling himself up) ,or tugging at his over garments is a dead give away for a new concealed carrier...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,751 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I find that for the most part the only people that "make" shooters are other shooters. Most folks go though life oblivious to any bumps you might exhibit or even when you flash someone by mistake (or because you really don't care) which happens to me at times when I reach up at the supermarket or other stores, no one has ever been alarmed or given me more than a casual look. I guess I don't look the part of someone that is looking to hurt Johnny and Judy Public. Plenty of times I walk out of the house with my Kimber UltraCarry in an OWB holster covered only by a light (and not necessarily extra sized) T-shirt and I KNOW I'm printing and no one has ever given me any grief about it.
    :that: most people won't notice it if it is not on the screen of their phone/tablet. I mean Germany is installing blinking red LEDs into sidewalks to stop people from getting waffled by a trains. So my shirt not "draping very well" is not even on the same planet as Jaynne and Jaymis.
    http://www.citylab.com/tech/2016/04/germany-experiments-with-traffic-lights-for-oblivious-smartphone-users/479445/
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member

I don't run around trying to guess who's carrying. I just don't want you to know I am. I don't wear anything to make me look like Rambo or even Steve McQueen for that matter. Most of the time I look like I just crawled out from under my car and just changed my oil or maybe I just cleaned a dozen Crappie or Speckled trout or something like that or I'm about to run out and play 9 holes of golf or maybe I'm going to a lodge meeting. I try very hard to look inconspicuous and going about my business in a very nonthreatening way, and I try to look no way threatening. I surely don't wear clothes that make me look like I've just been to boot camp.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Wrong. It's spot on. Unless you in a retirement community.
    With the caveat that, pretty much only gun folks will spot the items.
    The vest sticks out like a sore thumb painted florescent green. As do the pants. I don't look for folks carrying on purpose, but when I see folks wearing the items mentioned, I'll pick them out every time.

Yep. The vest, and the murse, for sure. Seems like the gun shirt/BDU combo is pretty popular around here with the mall ninja/range operator crowd.
    The hi speed beard is pretty easy to pick out, too. One glance at the guy wearing it......is he a skinny, skinny jeans twerp, overweight, or does he look like he's spent the last ten years working out between missions?
    I saw my very first open-carry, recently, in a Jack-in-the-Box in Denison, TX. It was a nicely dressed 'cowboy' with a hat, boots, and big belt buckle, and a very nice looking thumb-break holster with a vintage Colt Commander. Looked like a sensible guy, and nobody paid any attention, even though the place was full of female texters. In fact, I might not have even noticed, had my wife not pointed it out. Very encouraging. I hope it catches on, and de-sensitizes more gun-fearing folks, but I will always conceal because I need every edge I can get, if anything ever happens.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,694 Senior Member
    The vest sticks out like a sore thumb painted florescent green. As do the pants. I don't look for folks carrying on purpose, but when I see folks wearing the items mentioned, I'll pick them out every time.

I think you and Ned are both partially right. The vest is almost a certainty and the man purse is pretty close behind but the clothes and beard is more a matter of where you live. There's a huge military presence around here as is around Ned's stompin grounds. Around here, I can pick up surplus BDU's for around eight bucks for the pants and six for a shirt and baggy loose pants with cargo pockets are functional and comfortable. When you travel a little north of the beach to where you're around mostly locals, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't have an article of camo cloth somewhere on them. Also, here in Florida, unless someone appears blatantly gay or liberal, you should just assume that they're armed.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    And in my area of FL, you can tell that some folks aren't carrying. Not unless they're carrying it uncomfortably in a "natural" holster.

Some of them folks you don't want to see dressed like that. Scratch that. A lot of them.

I will say that I was once in NOLA and saw the stereotypical "shoot me first" guy: NRA hat, black Glock shirt, and a photographer's vest. I'd also wager that only I, LE, and other concealed carriers had "made" the guy. Maybe a crook, but I'm not sure.

I did make one guy whose revolver grips were printing badly through his cover garment when he leaned forward, and another who had "C" clips on this belt with a tucked holster, but that guy the only thing I saw were the edges of the clips.

Nobody else seemed to notice ANY of these guys.
    Overkill is underrated.
    ...and another who had "C" clips on this belt with a tucked holster, but that guy the only thing I saw were the edges of the clips.

Yeah, I tried carrying IWB with a tucked shirttail, when I got my first Crossbreed type holster. It works really good, but I could not stop myself from checking to see that my shirt was still covering the gun, so I switched to shirttail out. It looked slouchy and unprofessional in some settings, at that time, but I was past caring about such things by then, anyway. Now, it just looks normal.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,689 Senior Member
    Here in AZ I just put my gun in a holster about 3:30 and put on a cover shirt and call it good.......if it shows so be it.
    I rerely open carry but could care less if I print or expose.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    I don't fall into any of the categories listed in the article.

90% of the time I carry IWB with an un-tucked shirt, either polo or t-shirt. I buy them a size too big so the fit loose enough that I don't print, and they are completely comfortable. I usually buy dark colors that would hide printing better. On hot Sundays, I have carried to church IWB with my crossbreed, leaving the suit jacket behind and tucking my shirt in. When wearing a non-white colored shirt, it works very well.

The rest of the time I can easily conceal OWB, since my shirts are bigger.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,664 Senior Member
    These days I really do not do all that much besides put a micro gun in a pocket, or cover with an un-tucked shirt. Take a look in the mirror before going out and make sure things are as they should be and go about my business.

However, when I first received my carry permit I was always experimenting with different carry methods and guns. I was always looking in mirrors and reflections to make sure that I was not showing or printing too badly. Pulling shirt down, holding elbow close to body when I bent over and always making sure I didn't "flash" my gun. One day I realized, I am doing everything in the book to show that I am carrying except for the shoot me first bag or cloths. I now wear the right gun in a proper holster and cover cloths and go about my business. I have never had a LEO, store owner or Joe citizen ask me if I was carrying or know of anyone whispering "does he have a gun?" Between some cell phones the size of small tablets, water bottles, glass cases and what not that people wear on their belt these days, nobody pays much attention. Except maybe us on here.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I've pretty much decided that the only folks who "make" a person carrying a gun are others who carry. Either for personal protection, as part of the job, or some of those who do it for illicit reasons. I'm beginning to think that you could wear a gun belt, and only a gun belt, and people will be more upset that you're naked than that you're carrying a gun.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,729 Senior Member
    I've pretty much decided that the only folks who "make" a person carrying a gun are others who carry. Either for personal protection, as part of the job, or some of those who do it for illicit reasons. I'm beginning to think that you could wear a gun belt, and only a gun belt, and people will be more upset that you're naked than that you're carrying a gun.

Totally agreed. I make people every once in a while, but I really don't care. I just assume, and WANT the majority of people to be armed.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    gator wrote: »
    Here in AZ I just put my gun in a holster about 3:30 and put on a cover shirt and call it good.......if it shows so be it.
    I rerely open carry but could care less if I print or expose.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Same here, but Florida.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member

It's a reliable way to pre-judge people I encounter at work as a concealed weapon carrier. Works most of the time, too. If they aren't carrying then they have a CWP.

I ran into a guy in my city that was painfully obvious and he looked nervous as hell before he even saw me. I invited him outside nearer to my patrol car and offered him some advice on carrying and better ways to carry than the 3 o'clock carry. He settled on appendix carry and was very grateful for the assistance. It was his 3rd time ever concealing out in public.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Since Texas passed OC for those with concealed carry licenses, I am much more likely to carry OWB with shirt tail out as a cover garment, because I don't have to worry about bending over or reaching high and exposing the bottom of my gun. OWB with a subcompact, like the XDs or S&W Shield is downright comfortable, after years of IWB with everything from a doublestack .45 to a PM-9. I learned years ago that nobody notices anything, especially on a middle-aged man, as long as you don't give it away with too much fidgeting and checking. I gave up trying to carry a 1911, because I could not stop checking that the safety was still engaged. It always was, but I had to check it, anyway.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    It's a reliable way to pre-judge people I encounter at work as a concealed weapon carrier. Works most of the time, too. If they aren't carrying then they have a CWP.

I ran into a guy in my city that was painfully obvious and he looked nervous as hell before he even saw me. I invited him outside nearer to my patrol car and offered him some advice on carrying and better ways to carry than the 3 o'clock carry. He settled on appendix carry and was very grateful for the assistance. It was his 3rd time ever concealing out in public.

:up:
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    these days i really do not do all that much besides put a micro gun in a pocket, or cover with an un-tucked shirt. Take a look in the mirror before going out and make sure things are as they should be and go about my business.

However, when i first received my carry permit i was always experimenting with different carry methods and guns. I was always looking in mirrors and reflections to make sure that i was not showing or printing too badly. Pulling shirt down, holding elbow close to body when i bent over and always making sure i didn't "flash" my gun. One day i realized, i am doing everything in the book to show that i am carrying except for the shoot me first bag or cloths. I now wear the right gun in a proper holster and cover cloths and go about my business. I have never had a leo, store owner or joe citizen ask me if i was carrying or know of anyone whispering "does he have a gun?" between some cell phones the size of small tablets, water bottles, glass cases and what not that people wear on their belt these days, nobody pays much attention. Except maybe us on here.

exactly this
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    He must have popped his pants when you approached him :tooth:

But that was VERY kind of you and a boost to community relations! I really wish more officers would do that kind of stuff. Good for you :cool2:

Haha, thanks. He did poop himself a little, I think.

Every gun could be the one that kills me, but to make the argument fair on both sides his gun may potentially save my life, too.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    A dead giveaway is an un-tucked shirt.
    Cargo pants and shorts aren't a giveaway any more - they have become mere fashion.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Untucked shirts are fashionable now in casual settings. I rarely carry and keep my shirt Untucked whenever possible
    RugerFan wrote: »
    Untucked shirts are fashionable now in casual settings. I rarely carry and keep my shirt Untucked whenever possible

You 'rarely' carry? Seriously? I never, ever, leave home without it.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,458 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    A dead giveaway is an un-tucked shirt.
    Cargo pants and shorts aren't a giveaway any more - they have become mere fashion.

RugerFan wrote: »

Yep. Untucked is the new tucked. People will not notice an untucked shirt any more than they notice blue jeans. What they notice is out of place. 95 degrees in the shade, and you're wearing a jacket? Out of place. 45 degrees and wearing one? You fit right in. Don't be out of place. Standing out is what gets noticed. If folks wear cargo shorts and untucked polos, somebody wearing the same or similar will likely never even get a look, past a polite nod to say 'howdy'. Walk in to the same setting wearing a pajamas or a tuxedo....you'll be noticed, but it doesn't mean you're carrying.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Yep. Untucked is the new tucked. People will not notice an untucked shirt any more than they notice blue jeans. What they notice is out of place. 95 degrees in the shade, and you're wearing a jacket? Out of place. 45 degrees and wearing one? You fit right in. Don't be out of place. Standing out is what gets noticed. If folks wear cargo shorts and untucked polos, somebody wearing the same or similar will likely never even get a look, past a polite nod to say 'howdy'. Walk in to the same setting wearing a pajamas or a tuxedo....you'll be noticed, but it doesn't mean you're carrying.

One thing's for sure, whatever an un-tucked shirt indicates to you, if I see no jacket and a fully tucked-in shirt, he's not carrying, unless I see the outline of 2 wallets, then he's got a pocket gun. Another giveaway is the holster designed to look like a cellphone case. Those things rarely hold both a gun and a phone, so it's likely you'll see TWO cellphone cases, or the phone in a pocket. One manufacturer, Sneaky Pete, with unsurpassed stupidity, embosses it's "SP" logo on the flap, telling everybody "it's a gun!"
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,238 Senior Member
    A shrill scream and a blood stain in the crotchtological area are dead giveaways that not only is someone carrying, but is doing so dangerously (to himself.)

I assume EVERYONE is carrying, actually.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I saw that thesis before and for the most part it is hogwash
    each of those categories depend on where you live;
    but, someone got paid to write it.

this. I was gonna say, in MT gun shirts and sport vests are pretty popular for everyone from little jimmy who just wants to go to the new movie to grandma out working her garden. It's anyones guess if these types have a gun... though you should probably assume they do cause they probably do. Over half the state carry in some fashion or another