Home Main Category General Firearms

What's your most precision rifle?

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,394 Senior Member
I'm talking about which one is your tightest grouper?

Mine is my Savage 110 7mm Remington Mag. I have recently struck upon a couple of very accurate loads for it and it will group 3 shots or 5 shots or however many it takes to get the barrel real hot where it starts to open up the grouping. Actually, when it starts to get close to that I've usually stopped shooting but I have gotten it where the group opens up or rather where it starts to throw flyers.

I have just recently discovered this to be fact. There have been times when it showed promise but never real steady accuracy until now.
So what is your tightest grouping most precision rifle?
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Remington 700 5r .308. My best groups have come with this rifle.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Is this a LOADED question?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    All of them..... With a single shot group:tooth:

oh, you mean without powder burns on the target?
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,144 Senior Member
    My most consistently accurate rifle is probably my cheapest- NEF 'Survivor' in .308. There are several factory loads that it will drill 1" groups with. I have killed a truckload of deer with this gun, and it just keeps performing. My newest AR might eventually rival it, but I just have not had enough time on that gun to really make the call yet.
    http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/ShotgunsAndRifles/survivor.asp

Now, if you will add handguns into the mix... The CVA scout pistol in .243 just might edge out the NEF. That thing is just a damn good performer.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    My Savage 116 FCFS in .243 with a Redfield 4x12 scope, out to 300 yards.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 767 Senior Member
    My Savage 11VT in. 308
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    All of them.

Until the guy that has them starts jerking the trigger.

If they had feelings they might even get mad at me.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    I'm not sure what you mean by precision, but my most accurate rifle is my Savage Model 10 .204 Ruger.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean by precision, but my most accurate rifle is my Savage Model 10 .204 Ruger.

I meant tightest grouper.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Is this a LOADED question?

Of course it is. How you gonna shoot it without loading it?.......:wink:.......:tooth:
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    I have several that will shoot a five shot 0.25" group at 100 yards when the weak link behind the trigger does his part.

Most consistently accurate is probably my Frankenstein.221 fireball XP100 but that doesn't really hold up past 200 yards or so.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    The most consistently accurate year after year has to be my Anschutz M-54 Super Match and the Win. M52D international (which I sold) all the rest with the exception of my NM M-1 Garand were and are strictly hunting rifles that if they put the first round out of a cold fouled barrel within 1/2" of where there sighted in there good to go, That said, when working up a load, if it will put 5 fast shots in less than 1" there good.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    I have several that shoot better than I on a regular basis.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    At 100 yards, the 30 BR usually will land 5 inside half its bullet diameter. I've never shot it past that distance, though.

At long range, my 6mm Rem has turned out some pretty tiny groups.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    The Savage Sisters...the heavy .308 started out as a Savage 10FP, the heavy .300 WM started out as a Savage 110FP...both are boringly accurate sub-MOA shooters with their pet loads...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Linefinder wrote: »
    At 100 yards, the 30 BR usually will land 5 inside half its bullet diameter. I've never shot it past that distance, though.

At long range, my 6mm Rem has turned out some pretty tiny groups.

Mike

I had to thunk on that fer a minute, impossible I first thought unless the bullet shrank in two in flight.........I mean how can any group be smaller than the bullet that was fired diameter on paper? 5 shots in the same hole if perfect would be .30 dia not .15 dia

Then my not so quick wits realized you measure from center of the hole
    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    The Savage Sisters...the heavy .308 started out as a Savage 10FP, the heavy .300 WM started out as a Savage 110FP...both are boringly accurate sub-MOA shooters with their pet loads...

I have really gained faith in my Savage 110 7mm Rem. Mag. lately. It's a pre accutrigger version that I put a Rifle Basix Trigger on that breaks clean at about 2 Pounds. It was nothing to write home about looks wise until I refinished the hard wood stock. I had thought the barrel was shot out because I bought it used off gun broker for $205 and after I rescoped it with a good scope it wouldn't shoot better than 2" at 100. Then after a couple years of banging my head against the wall (yeah I know, what took you so long?), I found one of the cross bolts that holds the rings to the bases broke. I had to buy different style rings and bases for it because I couldn't find the same ones that had broken. I had put my 4-12x40 Leupold VX-1 on it after I bought it. Now with the new bases and rings on it, AND my old Weaver K-6(I put the Leo on another rifle), it shoots under an inch with 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and better than that with 160 grain Sierra Game King Hollow Points with 61 grains of RL 22. Now it's the best shooter I own.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,456 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    This!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    This!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Heck, every one I've got shoots better than me, even my 94 Win. 30-30.
    Ernie enjoy your good vision while you have it, because when you past 60 it may start to get blurred. I don't shoot well with glasses.
    BigDanS wrote: »
    My Savmmage 116 FCFS in .243 with a Redfield 4x12 scope, out to 300 yards.

Your .243 is on a long action?

Seeing how my 7 mag savage shoots I would love to have a .243 or a 6mm Remington on a Savage action. If I built a 6mm Remington I would build it on a long Savage action with a good trigger. That would drive tacks. I may look on Gun Broker and see if there's any Model 110s for sale. I would love to barrel it with a Krieger barrel. If it shot like my 7 Mag it would shoot one hole groups.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,156 Senior Member
    My Rock River ..... I need to work with it more and find the best ammo for it, but it was putting cheap old XM193 under an inch.....

IMG_20141231_090152933_zpsbde415c4.jpg~original
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I don't work very hard at groups, once they get below MOA, and I don't obsess on bench rest equipment. My bench shooting is more like 'rested field shooting.' My first AR-15, however, easily shoots 68 grain Hornady Match bullets with 6-7 out of every 10 inside of 0.5 inch, at a hundred yards. This is using a Harris BiPod and Caldwell rear bag. The rifle is a RRA flattop lower with NM trigger and a straight stock like a M16, with a DPMS upper and 20" stainless steel heavy barrel, 1:8 twist, and solid free-float tube, topped by a Nikon Buckmark 6-18x40 side focus with Burris PEPR mount. I have shot three shot groups with it at 300 yards that were slightly over 2".

I have a Remington Model 600 in .243 that shoots under MOA with Remington Core-Lokt factory loads. I suspect that when I finally find the right hand load for it, it will be 0.5 MOA, or less, but that's only speculation.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,572 Senior Member
    JKP wrote: »
    I have several that will shoot a five shot 0.25" group at 100 yards when the weak link behind the trigger does his part.
    This. I don't know which is the most precise, I'm not that good of a shot.
    Those Silly Savages seem to give outstanding accuracy across the board. So turn off the lights and and enjoy yours, nobody will know unless you tell them :jester: :guns: :guns:

These Savages... .308 model 10 that says Tactical on bolt pre-adj trigger and this .223 BVSS model 12 and my REM 700 in .223 are all better than the sum of the shooters (ME ) parts/ shootin abilities.

Mo better pic of the model 12

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12bvss

[IMG][/img]IMAG0024_zps3d75fc23.jpg

[IMG][/img]IMAG0018_zpsd6e869a8.jpg

[IMG][/img]IMG_0033.jpg
    SS3 has fired that Rem 700, I think it was in FLA when we met up at a range. Make My Day was there and Wambli too, but he was in the middle of a move, I believe.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    My best group ever came from my NEF .223 but it is not my most precise rifle. For the NEF to shoot .25" groups EVERY SINGLE THING must be perfect. One of my heavy barrel ARs or my Savage 110 6.5x284 would be the most precise.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,456 Senior Member
    Just to make 308 Win fans happy...
    04B8A3EA-4838-4B14-8B1F-5DDB5AC4DB27_zps6qc9xiol.jpg
    DF0F1315-ACEF-4A99-BA5B-3767D434D0F1_zpspsg61vvt.jpg
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

Every gun I own shoots better than me, all the time.

I had a shooting buddy that always out shot me, if I shot a 3/4" group, he would shoot 1/2 or 3/8 with my rifle, and loads.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    A gun that out shoots me more often than not affords me room to grow. A challenge. A level to aspire towards on a more consistent basis.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith