Home Main Category General Firearms

What's your most precision rifle?

2»

Replies

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    My 700 in .308 because it is like an old shoe and I know the load it likes. However, I am not to sure that if I ever put some time into my 6.5 Grendel it wouldn't be as good if not better.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I don't work very hard at groups, once they get below MOA, and I don't obsess on bench rest equipment. My bench shooting is more like 'rested field shooting.' My first AR-15, however, easily shoots 68 grain Hornady Match bullets with 6-7 out of every 10 inside of 0.5 inch, at a hundred yards. This is using a Harris BiPod and Caldwell rear bag. The rifle is a RRA flattop lower with NM trigger and a straight stock like a M16, with a DPMS upper and 20" stainless steel heavy barrel, 1:8 twist, and solid free-float tube, topped by a Nikon Buckmark 6-18x40 side focus with Burris PEPR mount. I have shot three shot groups with it at 300 yards that were slightly over 2".

I have a Remington Model 600 in .243 that shoots under MOA with Remington Core-Lokt factory loads. I suspect that when I finally find the right hand load for it, it will be 0.5 MOA, or less, but that's only speculation.

I'm not real big on most Hornady bullets but that one is a Jewel. It's the only bullet I've found that shoots around 1/2 MOA in my Stevens 200 .223. Remington. Hornady has a winner with that bullet.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Every gun I own shoots better than me, all the time.

I had a shooting buddy that always out shot me, if I shot a 3/4" group, he would shoot 1/2 or 3/8 with my rifle, and loads.

JAY

Probably only because of the skilled workmanship you put into it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,456 Senior Member
    Hornady bullets have shot extremely good for me.
    Like mentioned, it is a systems approach to accuracy: weapon, load, optic, shooter, rest, and conditions
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    I own a few rifles that shoot better than me. Those that don't are now owned by someone else.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull