The Most Awesome GRITS I've Ever Had!

woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior MemberPosts: 2,725 Senior Member
Iffen you'ns ain't a Southerner, this recipe for grits will make one out of you!

I supply an upscale, high-end restaurant in Thomasville, Georgia with my Bumpy Road Heirloom grits and cornmeal. Doubt if anyone knows this, but this small town in Deep South Georgia, is an oasis in the desert, and much of the town and surrounding forestland is owned by very wealthy yankee families. Thus a really high-end restaurant!

In making a delivery late yesterday afternoon, the head chef said "Here, try some of your grits". It blew my mind! I'm as pedigreed Southern as you can get, and I've NEVER had grits that can compare with what I sampled! Here's the recipe, and the head chef said to use it to increase my sales.....it's not a trade secret!

1 cup of NON-GMO heirloom grits. (Look until you find this product. It's available. The quick cooking grits in the store are junk, unfit to eat!)
1 1/3 cups each of Cream, Half & Half, Vegetable Broth, and 1/2 cup of sharp cheese of your choice. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix it all together and bring it up to a slow "blub-blub" on the stovetop. Don't boil hard, just "blub-blub", and stir every few minutes to prevent sticking. Simmer for 1 hour. If you're a "grits lover", I guarantee you that this will become your standard recipe!

Replies

• TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    Being born and raised in CA, I have never had grits. I am curious to try them though.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,669 Senior Member
    We Love your Bumpy Road Grits

Will be trying your recipe soon.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    People actually eat that stuff :uhm:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    How many grits are in a cup?
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    too many
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,483 Senior Member
    So where can a northerner like myself get theses grits? Amazon wasn't too helpful?

I've had grits in the south and do like them.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    OK, my wife is now on the hunt for some heirloom grits
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    [uQUOTE=early;550847]How many grits are in a cup?[/QUOTE]

Just enough.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Quick Grits Suck. They taste like the filler in a shooting bag. It's not just about the flavor, it's also about the texture. Good grits is almost a lost art kinda like real southern Hush Puppies. Maybe you found it again.

Around this part of Texas, in the not so deep south I call the local variety of Hush Puppies Mush Balls. they have eggs and milk in em and they suck. The deep southern Hot Water style corn pones only have cornmeal, a little white flour, some baking powder, baking soda, and salt with just a pinch of sugar. Then sometimes they'll have a little white onion shaved into it. Like with grits, it's not only the flavor, it's also the texture that makes em special. They don't make em like this around here, only in deep central-east and north-east Texas.

You put all the dry ingredients into a big mixing bowl, and pour in boiling water and stir it a little where all the corn meal is wet and the hot water sort of cooks or softens the meal. Then after sitting about 20 minutes you roll them into little fingers about 3"-4" Long and about 3/4" in diameter and put em on a cookie sheet with wax paper and stick the cookie sheet in the freezer. Let em freeze pretty hard then drop em in the hot grease and cook at a medium fry heat until medium golden brown. BTW, white corn meal makes em better for me, and better still stone ground corn meal, like you sell Woodsrunner. It makes em better.

In north east Texas you used to never see Barbecue. Only catfish places. and when I was a kid you could get all the cat fish and hush puppies you could eat for $2.00. When I was a teenager they hated to see me coming, cause I'd eat em out of house and home.

Anyway, good cornmeal, corn bread, and grits is manna from heaven in my book.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Fellas, I need to be very careful here, 'cause I don't want to set up a "Sam Situation"! So far I've not had my "knuckles rapped" by a Moderator for commercial ventures, and I don't want to! If you want specific information you might want to pull up bumpyroadfarm.org on the web, and I or my wife will answer all questions!

Now a few things about CORN for you to know that I don't think I've mentioned before:

A grain of corn has 9 distinctly different parts to it, and in producing grits we are primarily interested in 3 of these: The HULL or brand to us millers, must be removed. Too tough even when cooked, to be eatable. My milling machine is equipped with Balfour Granite Stone, and it does an excellent job of removing the hull from the grain as its ground. I blow the hulls out of the finished product by a fan system making "washing" the grits to remove the hulls unnecessary.

The 2nd part of the kernel you need to know about is simply called "The Black Line". Its that black spot that you see on a kernel where it was attached to the cob. It's stretchy and elastic, and in the milling process will either produce very small black specs or will roll up into about a half inch long roll that looks like foreign material in the grits. Nothing wrong with the grits if you see this! The Black Line acts the same as a water tight door in one of those "Long Grey Pointy Things" that Mike and I rode all over the North Atlantic Ocean!

The 3rd part, and the one that you need to know about for sure, is the Gymnosperm! That's where 83% of all nutrients, oils and FLAVOR are stored in the corn kernel! This Gymnosperm portion will go rancid and spoil within a week-ten days after the corn is ground into grits/cornmeal if it isn't refrigerated or frozen! The quick cooking grits that you buy in the supermarket have had the Gymnosperm removed by a steam-pressure process to prevent the product from going rancid on the grocery shelf...and the steam heat process shortens cooking time! That's why grits produced by "old-time millers" like me must be refrigerated, and that's why all of the grits that I ship are shipped frozen!

Now the other corn product that you need to know about is.....Whiskey! But I don't know anything about this, so you'll have to look elsewhere for information :wink:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Like Jerry Clower's buddy said about mustard-packed sardines and saltine crackers- - - - -"Ya done flung a cravin' on me!" Off to the kitchen to boil up a pan of cheese grits!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Well kiss my grits..............remember that from TV?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    waitress
    Alice
    Mel's diner
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,697 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    When you find some, cook them up. Then mix in some butter and sugar. Enjoy!

That butter and sugar on grits is a yankee concoction. Debbie cringes when I do it but I only do it to the white stuff that you get at awfulwaffle. On true grits, it's just salt and pepper. We frequently cook them with a little bullion or soup base mixed in and then we don't put anything on them.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,251 Senior Member
    When you find some, cook them up. Then mix in some butter and sugar. Enjoy!

NO! Sugar in grits should be punishable by flogging. It says so in the Scriptures. That's the worst advice I've ever heard. Butter melted into the cooked grits, salt, pepper and that's it. I like fried eggs with grits and break the yolks to mix in with the grits. A little bit of egg and a lot of grits. Grits expand food and take on the flavor of the butter, salt, pepper, and anything else mixed with them, like cheese. But NEVER, EVER add sugar.

How many grits in a cupful? About a cupful.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,108 Senior Member
    Here's a great shrimp and grits recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/shrimp-and-grits-recipe.html

No sugar. But it does have bacon and garlic.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    My favorite breakfast is scrambled eggs, buttered & peppered grits, and a couple of slices of scrapple all mixed together. YUMMY!
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »

Florence Jean Castleberry, played by Polly Holliday. They did a short-lived spinoff show too.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,744 Senior Member
    Now I really want shrimp'n'grits
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

Da boy definitely know what he be talkin about! Shrimp Grits are F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C! Even the crappy Store Bought ones that's had most of the goodies removed from the Grits are right passable. I would love to get some of woodsrunners grits and let my sister cook up some shrimp grits. She's been living in Lousiana since 1974 and some of that culinary talent has sunk in.

When I was a little kid my mother would put butter and sugar on Grits to get me to eat them, but when I got older I shucked the Sugar. I like to eat em with Red Eye or sausage gravy or with just plain butter, salt, and pepper nowadays, unless of course it's shrimp grits. That's a whole Nuther ball game.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,560 Senior Member
    Grits is an acquired taste. I've tried, but I haven't quite acquired the taste. It's not that they taste but. They just don't taste like much of anything.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    I agreed, until I tried woodsrunners grits. They literally aren't the same thing as store bought grits

Store bought grits is why a lot of people don't like em. They're so sterile they are no longer food.
    Teach wrote: »
    Like Jerry Clower's buddy said about mustard-packed sardines and saltine crackers- - - - -"Ya done flung a cravin' on me!" Off to the kitchen to boil up a pan of cheese grits!
    Jerry

I think that was his cousin, one of Uncle Bersy's boys, Marcel Ledbetter.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member

Shrimp and Grits are like a gateway drug. If there is anyone reading this who has never had Grits, little yet Shrimp and Grits, you are missing out on some of the most simple but tasteful food the south has to offer.

Right up there with fried green tomatoes. Simple, and a taste too wonderful to describe.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Wild caught Atlantic or Gulf shrimp....not some of that "farm raised filthy crap" from SE Asia!
    After telling my wife about this thread, she went on a quest to find heirloom grits. She tracked down woodsrunner on the interwebs. After a short back and forth email discussion, these arrived yesterday.

So this Southern California girl is cookin us up some grits for breakfast.

Thank you woodsrunner!!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,227 Senior Member
    Bumped for Diver... Tagged "food" and "recipes" now so you can find it later (until the forum crashes and it will be gone forever).
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,669 Senior Member
    Thanks Jerm
    wifey is making me shrimp and grits tomorrow
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5