In defense of property

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 9,757 Senior Member
This is local to me:

http://www.twcnews.com/tx/austin/news/2016/05/9/surveillance-video--austin-truck-owner-holds-suspected-thief-at-gunpoint-until-cops-arrive.html?cid=facebook_TWC_News_Austin

Long story short, a serial thief had been preying on a neighborhood for almost 6 months before he is finally caught and held at gunpoint for the police. Without getting too deep into how I know about it, I know a lot about the situation, and helped set up a few of the cameras in the area.

The homeowner used a firearm to defend property. He chased down the perp off of his property. BUT... This individual had been stealing and breaking into hoses and cars for months with no resolution from police or courts. He was arrested once, and surveillance pics were given to the police of him breaking into multiple cars that night... And he was out the next day and breaking into cars again within the week. The neighborhood did everything that they could within the legal system, and finally it culminated in the video linked above.

By the way, in TX- the homeowner was fully within the law.
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• miketxmiketx Member Posts: 47 Member
    Glad it worked out. But, isn't Austin a liberal bastion of Texas? Isn't the so called chief of police a gun banning lefturd? No wonder they didn't do anything to stop this guy. Wont surprise me if he gets out again.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,757 Senior Member
    miketx wrote: »
    Glad it worked out. But, isn't Austin a liberal bastion of Texas? Isn't the so called chief of police a gun banning lefturd? No wonder they didn't do anything to stop this guy. Wont surprise me if he gets out again.

Yes, Austin is the liberal proving ground. But- oddly enough, the cops shook the homeowners hand (the full 25 minute long video is hilarious at points. Had neighbors coming by and giving him high fives while he held the perp at gunpoint), and it all seems to have gone well for all involved
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    I wonder what would have happened if before the police arrived, the thief had just gotten up, and told the homeowner he was leaving now, and if he wanted to shoot him in the back and take his chances with the D.A., well, good luck with that. And then he turns and saunters off into the night. Fortunately the homeowner was convincing in his citizen's arrest, but what if he showed even the slightest insecurity about the situation?
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    :that:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,330 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    By the way, in TX- the homeowner was fully within the law.
    He would have been in Michigan as well. Now if he shot the guy while he was running away, he would be in deep crap here, but that is another story. I am glad they caught the guy red handed.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,330 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    I wonder what would have happened if before the police arrived, the thief had just gotten up, and told the homeowner he was leaving now, and if he wanted to shoot him in the back and take his chances with the D.A., well, good luck with that. And then he turns and saunters off into the night. Fortunately the homeowner was convincing in his citizen's arrest, but what if he showed even the slightest insecurity about the situation?
    You don't know what the guy is going to do. If he is getting up under the threat of deadly force until the police arrive, you can only conclude that they mean to do you harm and should act appropriately.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,909 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I kinda (ok, a LOT) wish that mr homeowner would have rushed outside while dirt bag was still leaned into his truck. Accidentally fell into the open truck door a few times , crushing dirt bags knees.

It's always best to have a plan so you know exactly what to do in this sort of situation. I have my plan. I will take my lariat and rope the jerk, hog tie him and put another rope around his neck which would be slung over a convenient tree limb which I would tighten until he's standing on his tippy toes while holding my shotgun to his head until the cops get there. That should give him a good reminder that if he does repeat his offenses in the future that he will probably think twice about making my residence his target of opportunity.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    If he gets out with a wrist-slap, here's the next procedure to use:

Louisville Slugger

Kneecaps

Fingers

Make it difficult for him to steal things and/or run away next time. Turn off surveillance video first.

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,267 Senior Member
    Hmm, wonder where he hid his bicycle
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,694 Senior Member
    Did the police find any stolen objects on him, or fingerprint the truck?

I'm thinking that without the video, this guy could walk, even in Texas (especially in Austin).
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,025 Senior Member
    I was in agreement with what the homeowner did, up to the point where he laid his gun down and then the perp got up and walked toward it....the police presence didn't seem to bother him....he got up as soon as the gun was on the ground. That whole situation could have gotten interesting.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,757 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Did the police find any stolen objects on him, or fingerprint the truck?

I'm thinking that without the video, this guy could walk, even in Texas (especially in Austin).

Oh, there is LOTS of video of him attempting break ins on lots of vehicles. And the judge and our DWDA (drinking while district attorney. Google "Rosemary lehmberg" and get the backstory on that) have the videos and pictures as well. And on a previous arrest, he was found with stolen property from a truck that was about 2 blocks from this one.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov