which safety would you prefer on a Mauser action?

Bill M.Bill M. MemberPosts: 64 Member
A slide safety on the Timmny trigger? Or a safety on the bolt like the one Brownells sells?

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,047 Senior Member
    I prefer the two position M-70 style safety.

The Buehler safety works well, and is a less expensive alternative, and easy to install.
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    I prefer the two position M-70 style safety.

The Buehler safety works well, and is a less expensive alternative, and easy to install.

Agreed. The M70 and Buehler safeties block the sear whereas the slide safeties only block the trigger.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    Bill M. wrote: »
    A slide safety on the Timmny trigger? Or a safety on the bolt like the one Brownells sells?

OK there's several types of safeties you can put on a Mauser. I've got three, well 3 aftermarkets. I also have a couple Mausers that are still MIL SPEC. That's a great design if you don't want to scope it. But for a true sporterization that you probably want to put a scope on, here's the three types I have. First I have a Beuhler. It's a two position safe-fire set up. When it's on safe, you can't work the bolt. Only in the fire position can the bolt be operated.

Then I have the Dewey I think it's called. I think there's more than one company that makes them. It's the three position Model 70 style safety. You can work the bolt in the fire (Rear) and mid point positions, but the back position locks the bolt. This is the accepted favorite style with most people. The firing pin is locked in both the middle and full (Rear) safe positions.

Then I have one rifle with the safety that came with the Timney Trigger. It's a Remington 700 style safety. It's two position but doesn't lock the firing pin, only the trigger. I definitely prefer one of the other two as they both lock the firing pin.

Now, four years ago if you would have asked me which I preferred, the Beuhler or the Model 70 style, I would have said the Model 70 Style. Like I said, I have one of each. But now I have really grown to love the Beuhler. It's smoother to operate, and it's simple and less noisy. Up next to the scope is safe, down is fire. Again, you can't operate the bolt in the safe position.

But here's the beauty of a Mauser. You don't have to close and lock down the bolt in the firing position to engage the extractor on the rim of the cartridge on a true Mauser. When you push a cartridge out of the magazine the rim slips up under the extractor. Remember a Mauser is a Control Round Feed. So you don't have to close the bolt all the way down and lock it down to engage the extractor on the rim. Once you push a round out of the magazine it's hooked by the extractor until you pull it back and eject the round. (In a push feed, you have to lock the bolt down to cause the extractor to slip over the cartridge rim.) With the Mauser design, just push it forward until the cartridge rim slips up under the extractor and pull it back to eject the round.

I can empty any of my Mausers like this with the safety totally disengaged in the fire position safely, never locking the bolt down on a live round. Just a simple push and pull and you extract and eject a round without ever putting it all the way in position to fire.

The 3 position Model 70 style is great. But it isn't quite as smooth as the old Beuhler style and mine is also a bit loud. You can hear it click into each position. But the Beuhler is very simple to operate, to say nothing of being much cheaper. I think I paid about $150 for the Model 70 Style I have(You can probably get one cheaper but not by much), and I paid a little over $30 for the Beuhler.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,407 Senior Member
    Gentry makes the best one- - - -a 3-position M70 style on the bolt shroud. It's E$$pensive, though! It offers the extra "safe- - -bolt unlocked" center position that the Beuhler-style safeties don't. The MK II safety is a drop-in fit with no machining necessary, and is the least expensive of the aftermarket safeties available.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Teach wrote: »
    Gentry makes the best one- - - -a 3-position M70 style on the bolt shroud. It's E$$pensive, though! It offers the extra "safe- - -bolt unlocked" center position that the Beuhler-style safeties don't. The MK II safety is a drop-in fit with no machining necessary, and is the least expensive of the aftermarket safeties available.
    Jerry

Yeah Gentry is what I have. I don't know where I got Dewey.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,047 Senior Member
    Chapman are the two position ones I use. Can't remember where I got them, I think from Chapman himself. Don't know if he's still around.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,802 Senior Member
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,517 Senior Member
    I have 3 Gentry 3 position safeties 2 on M-98s and 1 on a 03-A3 , and have installed quite a few, Sometimes they can feel a little rough and loud, a tiny bit of 1500 or 2000 diamond lapping compound will smooth it up , Just don't get carried away lapping it in. I personally think the 3 . is the way to go, also the safest to unload a mag since you can operate the bolt while the sear is locked.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Gentry or Buhler. I have some with trigger safeties but they are not my favorite.

Yeah I have the one that is a Trigger safety and it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy. But the old tried and true Beuhler is now my favorite. Like I said, if you want to unload a rifle safely, just don't close the action all the way, just go back and forth with the bolt bringing it back all the way against the ejector. Mausers are good about things like this. All it takes is pushing the round out of the magazine, and you don't have to close it to hook the rim on the extractor. With a little practice you can unload the thing very safely.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,525 Senior Member
    Timmny with the slide. The lack of a bolt block doesn't bother me. I did one with a MK2 and one with the Timmny. If the one with he MK2 didn't have sweet dual set triggers, it would be a Timmny.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.