Sight Paint

horselipshorselips Senior MemberPosts: 3,626 Senior Member
My CCW gun is a Taurus 738TCP .380 ACP, and like most sub-compact pocket autos, has very minimal sights. I want something to hi-lite the teensy-weensy front sight. Cruising Amazon.com, I see lots of fluorescent paints for gun sights, ranging from $9-$13, plus shipping, but I wonder if a drop of much less expensive liquid paper (white-out) correction fluid might also do the job. I don't care about glowing in the dark - if I have to draw my weapon at night, there won't be any light to activate the fluorescence with anyway. Thanks.

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,751 Senior Member
    Glow in the dark fingernail polish. White-ish during the day and glowy at night and the whole bottle will set you back 10 bucks at best.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Glow in the dark fingernail polish. White-ish during the day and glowy at night and the whole bottle will set you back 10 bucks at best.

:agree: The fingernail polish aisle at Wally World is your friend. Get white for a base coat, and paint over that with the fluroescent or glow in the dark nail polish. And if you fish and tie your own popper bugs for panfish, that fingernail polish aisle is nirvana.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,521 Senior Member
    I agree with the nail polish, I wet a Q tip with acetone first to clean the sight.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,238 Senior Member
    I tried fingernail polish but it didn't make it bright enough. I finally got my LGS to paint the sight with sight paint, which is orange (in my case) and thick enough to matter. You may find polish that works fine, though.

I only got it for practice purposes and to put .380 rounds in roughly the chest area with my Body Guard. I basically think a .380 is a point-and-shoot gun, a gitoffme gun. There are some who want a laser sight, which costs another $75 bucks for no apparent (to me) advantage.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,280 Senior Member
    I have a white paint pen, Elmers (yes the glue brand) caligraphy paint pen. It's great, most gun cleaning and lubricating fluids don't bother it if you let it dry well. I label and number all my mags with it also. Polymer it never comes off, metal lasts about a year or more. For my 22/44 competition mags, I draw a line where the button is when it has 10 rounds so I know it's full. I've had at least 3 times when I had 9 rounds in a 10 round stage. Talk about pissed. On my 15-22 mags, I make lines for 10, 20, and 25 rounds so I know between strings how many rounds are in there at a glance.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    Thanks one and all for the advice.