Anyone with a lot of AK47 trigger time suggest a variant?

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,139 Senior Member
Come back around to the idea of getting an AK and making a big ammo purchase.

I'm not looking for $1000+ Arsenal rifles. Sub-$700, and sub-$600 is better.

Yugos? Bulgarian? Chinese Norinco/MAK 90? Other?

The Century Arms C39V2 gets decent reviews, seems like.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,769 Senior Member
    If you don't care about the bayonet lug, go with the Yugoslav PAP

http://www.jgsales.com/yugo-zastava-npap-ak-style-rifle,-7.62x39,-with-wood-stock.-p-61577.html

Or if you want a folder, get the Hungarian AMD
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/amd-65-7-62x39-rifle-with-side-fold-stock-and-black-poly-pistol-grips

At least that's where I would go if I was buying another ak
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,029 Senior Member
    I like my STG 2000 in 7.62X39, Yugo receiver with the double hook trigger and some plastic furniture that fits a 6' tall person, trigger is pretty good and cheek weld is better than my other regularly configured Yugo, every mag I have bought has worked in them and all ammo has gone bang, no problem hitting a police silhouette target at 100 off a bench, groups were nothing to brag about with either at 100 yds, I paid about $225 less for mine new than Bullsi's link, I KNOW my cousin paid $275 for his MAK 90 in the mid 90's, YMMV

Edit to add, the Yugo prices I was referring to, not the Hungarian.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    If you are not set on a true AK type but just the 7.62x39, reliability and looks check out the VZ58. Short stroke piston, little lighter, I think more accurate ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I've played with the MAK 90 and it was pretty decent. A buddy has a WSAR 10 that is ok and was cheap.
    I have a Romanian SAR 1 that I like a lot but they are pretty hard to find (banned from import in 2002)
    I have a Serbian Zavata PAP pistol I am turning into an SBR that I like really well.
    I hear the Egyptian MAADI is nice.

Mine are pretty heavily modified.
    Romanian SAR-1
    16CA9C1B-57F7-4BEE-933E-E94D290DE1EA_zpszsrpmvl5.jpg

Serbian Zavasta PAP
    CF6A1DB4-6B09-417B-9B4C-4CDC6BC3947A_zpsvxwftrqn.jpg
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    There are a lot of options here, but what is important is to remember these guns aren't as modifiable as the AR platform, so you are mostly locked into what you buy.

The AK 47 platform will be debated between milled vs. stamped for accuracy and durability. The history shows the first receivers were milled and they get hot and stay hot, and they are also heavy. The stamped receivers and trunions were a next generation idea, save weight and cost. A well made stamped receiver is in some cases better than a cheap milled one.

Stamped receivers come in 1 mm and 1.5 mm thickness. The 1.5 mm seems like a more durable build, but most kits, parts, etc. are for the 1 mm receivers. So, having stated the above, get a 1 mm stamped receiver from a reputable company that uses quality steel and stands behind their gear.

If you go used or mil surp, I particularly like the Maadi made guns ( Egyptian ) and they can be had on GB at a decent price. There are several versions of the Maadi, one made with machine gun parts that slipped through the ATF filter and was then banned. These are sky high in price and hard to find, and 100% Egyptian.

Next is the MAADI MISR that was put together by Century Arms ( CAI ), that uses an Egyptian receiver, and a mix of Chinese and Egyptian parts. These guns have a painted finish and are mostly excellent AK's. If you shop hard you can get one in the $650 range at this time. I have two of these and they are rock solid reliable.

I would upgrade the trigger to a G2 and install the Krebs AK Trigger retainer plate for $10.50 to increase reliability. I have installed this on all five of my rifles and it gets rid of the cheap retaining spring that can fall out and make using the gun problematic.

http://www.krebscustom.com/products/50/Krebs-Custom-Trigger-Pin-Retaining-Plate-for-AK-Rifles

You can go high or low on an AK, and I bought mine to be fun to shoot / drag in the dirt guns. The Maadi is excellent for this and will accept most 1 mm receiver standard parts. It begs to be repainted, but don't do that in my opinion unless you want that project.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I have 4 WSARs. Two I built, and two I had built. They are as good as any other variant I have shot. I have messed with Yugos, Bulgarians, and a Hungarians. The only real caution I would offer is concerning the Yugos. It has nothing to do with function, it is availability of after market stuff. Most everything would fit everything else, but the Yugos required special furniture and such. It may have changed as I haven't even taken my AKs out to shoot in years.

I have told you this before, but I find the AR to be a much superior option. I suppose the AK "may" be more durable, but I have not witnessed it. I have seen two AKs go full auto because the retaining spring for the trigger group slipped out of place. One was a Yugo, the other a WSAR. Having said all that, I can understand the lure. I will be out of the AK ownership group one day. If the market takes a turn again, I will unload mine. I much prefer the AR.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I also highly recommend the G2 trigger, got one in my SAR 1.
    I also like the Tromix bolt knob, it is a nice addition.
    http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/Tromix_Saiga_Ak47_extended_charging_handle_p/trx-extch.htm
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I have g2 triggers. Meh. Still an AK trigger. Better than what it came with but sucks all the same.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,321 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    If you are not set on a true AK type but just the 7.62x39, reliability and looks check out the VZ58. Short stroke piston, little lighter, I think more accurate ...

I have zero trigger time with an AK, but my shooting buddy does and he loves the VZ 58. He's had a number of AKs and sings the praises of the VZ. He modified the folding stock by putting some water pipe insulation tape on the tubes of the stock so it's easier on his cheekbones. He also added a home-made heat shield out of a piece of aluminum flashing above the fore end, and that helps keep the hands from getting blistered. He shoots it really well.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,785 Senior Member
    I will say I really like my magpul side folding stock I put on my wasr10. Much more comfortable to shoot than with the original. The magpul forearm (moe style) is decent too, but less of a difference and more for looks/consistency with the stock.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho