Scope magnification suggestion

2»

Replies

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,566 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    Excellent. I suspect you do not own any firearms with detachable box magazines.

Yes I do, I own a Colt H-Bar and a Ruger Mini-14 I also own a clip fed rifle , a M-1 Garand. And at one time I had a Savage with a rotary mag.

As far as hunting rifles are concerned you are right, I don't own any, I think they are butt ugly, JMHO

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Huge gremmace :jester:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,566 Senior Member
    As for correct terminology, I speak only for myself, growing up in the 40s & 50s , the term magazines was used referring to CF. rifles, clips were used in pistols and RF rifles.

Also any loaded cartridges were referred to as bullets, and shells.

Things were a lot simpler back than, no matter what someone called an item , you knew what he was talking about.

I do agree with Pegasus that in todays world we all should use the correct terminology, as was stated before , we get a lot of newcomers ( to you Mil. types) and we should try to teach them the correctly.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Huge gremmace :jester:

Just to be clear here, you were saying "Huge grimace," right? :still_grinning:
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,122 Senior Member
    Indubitably.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    Opinion: Leupold VX-1 2-7 Rimfire for the 10/22 Light Varmint Hunter have on order.
    For a .22LR rimfire, the scope above, VX-1 2-7X28 is not a bad one at all. Please note that it is focused at 60 yards for parallax purposes.
    For a .22LR rimfire, the scope above, VX-1 2-7X28 is not a bad one at all. Please note that it is focused at 60 yards for parallax purposes.

Good to know on all non-AO, non-SF scopes. Most manufacturers don't bother listing this fact. Or most specs for that matter, like AR scope manufacturers not listing the minimum gap needed between scope mounts on one-piece AR scope mount systems.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,909 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    The reason I like this scope better on .223 at 300 yards than the 4.5-14x40 I use on my Model 70 .30-06 is that I can see the holes at 300 yards (sunny day, white target), and because I have to sharpen the cross hairs up, between 100 and 300 yards. The side focus makes this very easy. This is on a 20" heavy barrel AR-15 that is set up for varmint hunting, and I typically have it set on 6x. But most (nearly all) of my shooting with it is at targets, so although the 18x is not necessary for the actual shooting, it is nice for viewing the target at 300 yards. I have never owned a spotting scope, so I use this rifle for that.

I have two of the 6-18x40s and one of the 4.5-14x40s. I like the 4.5-14 better for purely hunting, but for all around target-hunting work the 6-18 is an excellent scope. It's a great hunting scope if you want to take shots out to 500 yards on deer and hogs. I don't do that on a regular basis, but if I ever see Bambi's grandpa out there and I just can't resist, I think if I have one of those two I'll be ok. Problem is, I have the two I own on my .22 CFs. The 4.5-14 is on my .250 Savage, which is one of my all time favorite deer and hog guns. I nailed a hog, a big sow, with it at about 150 yards through the shoulder into the lungs. It made the Lung Cavity a mass of Jellied blood and the hog was DRT. And that scope is perfect for that rifle. One word of caution. I have noticed my higher power Nikons need a sun shade in bright daylight. I remember one member here a few years back didn't like the 4-12x40 I think it was the Prostaff, because he said it had too much -glare in bright sunlight. I don't have a sun shade on my 4.5-14 and I had to borrow one off one of my .22 CFs because of that glare. That's the only fault I have ever seen with one of the Nikons. But it doesn't bother me, and I will get me another sun shade soon.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,099 Senior Member
    I think I would get a couple of four and half "dash" 14's that have a side focus or an AO:jester:
    The range of scopes: 4-20, 5-20, 5-25, 6.5-20, and 6-24 would be more than sufficient as well.
    Really comes down to preference and budget.
    What is your budget?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

In the People's Republic, long range shooting is not common. Although there might be a range > 100 yards, I don't have access to 1.
    In the People's Republic, long range shooting is not common. Although there might be a range > 100 yards, I don't have access to 1.

Certainly you have a range that goes beyond 1 yard.
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Good to know on all non-AO, non-SF scopes. Most manufacturers don't bother listing this fact. Or most specs for that matter, like AR scope manufacturers not listing the minimum gap needed between scope mounts on one-piece AR scope mount systems.

Yep, you are correct. I suspect the reason most manufacturers, including Leupold as I think this one is just a CYA for that exact scope, do not list the focus distance is simply that the vast majority of people do not know about parallax and have no idea why it should matter to them.

In rimfire scopes, the focus distance is usually about 75 yards and I was going to write that earlier before I checked the tube diameter for that scope. That's when I saw the 60 yards listed. I knew that rimfire scopes were less than 100 yards and I was impressed that Leupold listed it.

For centerfire scopes, or riflescopes intended to be mounted on centerfire rifles, I have seen anywhere from 100 to 150 yards as the focus distance, when it was even listed. Since most people would shoot on paper at 100 yards, they would never really experience parallax, and when out hunting who cares? Parallax-induced errors would be a couple inches at most, (if that) and at longer distances.

I know of the People's Republic of Maryland and the People's Republic of Kalifornia. Which one are we talking about here? Because I know of a few LR ranges in Kalifornia and I have competed with some F-class shooters from the PRK. Never any from the PRM.
    snake284 wrote: »
    I have noticed my higher power Nikons need a sun shade in bright daylight. I remember one member here a few years back didn't like the 4-12x40 I think it was the Prostaff, because he said it had too much -glare in bright sunlight. I don't have a sun shade on my 4.5-14 and I had to borrow one off one of my .22 CFs because of that glare. That's the only fault I have ever seen with one of the Nikons. But it doesn't bother me, and I will get me another sun shade soon.

Snake my old friend, your riflescope should ALWAYS be wearing a sunshade. There is a reason these things exist. In fact, there are a couple of reasons, but the primary reason is to prevent artefacts being created in your eyepiece because of direct sunlight coming in at an angle. This is especially true with higher magnification scopes. With a sunshade, you can be very surgical in aiming that scope near a setting sun and not get the flaring in the eyepiece.

The other reason for a sunshade is that it protects the objective, that big front lens. All my scopes have either sunshades or UV filters to protect the objective. The only time I may remove the sunshade is when I'm hunting in the brush.

I will also add that all my camera lenses have a UV filter and a sunshade.
    cpj wrote: »
    I've got zero problem hitting a 4" steel circle at 300 yards with my 3-9 scope on my .223.
    That said, I need to back up and read up on this pissing match. :up:

Better zip it up before coming back; no pissing match here.
    I know of the People's Republic of Maryland and the People's Republic of Kalifornia. Which one are we talking about here? Because I know of a few LR ranges in Kalifornia and I have competed with some F-class shooters from the PRK. Never any from the PRM.

The PRCT is very small. A long shot might have to cross the state line.
    cpj wrote: »
    Corrct. It fizzled out. Such a let down.

So sorry to hear you're disappointed.

Not.