Home Main Category Clubhouse

They'll COUNTERFEIT Anything!

NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior MemberPosts: 4,324 Senior Member
This AM at the range a newer shooter pulled out his "Deal of the Year" 5 brand new Tripp Cobra 8 round mags. The online "dealer" was selling them for $30, 3 for $80 or 5 for $100. One look and I knew they weren't Cobras by the lack of part #, lack of round count, lack of Cobra logo and lower finish level. Now they were stainless and had Cobra base pads along with what appeared to be cobra-like followers but they were not Tripp's Cobras. They did seem to be working fairly nicely.

I didn't know the gentleman well enough to pop his bubble but the RO sure did after he and I talked. The guy walks over and tells me the RO told him to talk to me and we went back to the range's workbench and I showed him the differences. He was so mad he got taken but I will say for $20 a piece he did get what appeared to be okay mags ... I just wouldn't trust them for a while.

So if you guys ever see "Deal of the Year" mags for any firearm take a close look and know what genuine is or you could be buying Asian knockoffs.
“The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
- George Orwell

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    A few years back, counterfeit Millett and Leupold (and probably a few others) scopes were the hot ticket.....Lot's of folks got screaming good deals on scopes off E-Bay, only to find out that when they sent them in for the inevitable repairs, the companies were sending them back with a "Uhhhhhh...this ain't ours" letter.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Yep, Chinese knockoffs. I knew a guy who went to China and bought a few of them. Those were pretty darn good, but no cigar as being the real deal. Here is what I was told/read.

Several different companies make different components/parts for Leupold scopes for them in China. They do this because they don't want any individual one to be able to market exactly/clone what they do with the same quality.

So they have the parts shipped back here from different makers and assemble add some others/align to their standards, put on serial numbers and do a thorough QA/QC then put their name on them.

I reckon that is why some say they are almost as good (some of them) as the real deal.

Now whether some parts from China/other places are used in all their scopes, I dunno. I doubt if any or very many carrying the "American Made" are completely made from US parts. Probably mostly and/or assembled adjusted, final touches here.

You ain't getting a Fluke multimeter fer $29.99, but can get one that works more or less and even looks like one from China. And anything and everything in-between.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!