Here's the new pistol "suprise" I brought to the shoot.

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,845 Senior Member
I picked it up last Wed afternoon. Stopped by our pond and put 2 rounds through it to make sure it made the appropriate "loud & obnoxious" noises when the tripper was pulled. Came home, put a proper MSH on it and lubed it. Took it, and all my mags, to Jerry's along with 100 rounds of Magtech 230gr Ball ammo. If if looks filthy in this pic, it's because it IS.

Had a couple of failure to feeds early on, but all in all, I am pleased. After handling and shooting it, at least one other forum member has said they're getting one, especially when I told then the "delivered to your FFL" cost.

Without further ado, my new ParaUSA Expert Commander

DSC_3281_zps7503hvvm.jpg
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Nice pistol.
    Good chance to break it in.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,616 Senior Member
    :up:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,045 Senior Member
    1911's are always good.
    Good for you.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    Nice!!
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Very nice! When you were at the pond you shoulda thrown that P.O.S. flat MSH in there! What was your replacement ... grooved? At least I am not alone on being partial to arched MSHs ... now if I can just find one for the EMP.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Very nice! When you were at the pond you shoulda thrown that P.O.S. flat MSH in there! What was your replacement ... grooved? At least I am not alone on being partial to arched MSHs ... now if I can just find one for the EMP.
    Yes, actually the grooved plastic that has been on my Rem 1911R1.

I bought a Swenson Steel for the Rem, since I plan on have it NP3 plated, and they can't plate plastic. Unfortunately, the cross hole on it is out of spec, and it won't fit. So, for now, the Rem has the checkered, flat MSH that came on this pistol :vomit:

But since this gun has proven itself reliable, and accurate, I won't be carrying, or shooting the Rem until I get a proper MSH for it.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    :applause: Very nice! I thought Para had gone bye bye?
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    Well at least your flat MSH doesn't have ... as CPJ calls it ... an "ignition switch" in it like my little EMP. Nobody makes a replacement yet, if ever and I don't know if SA will sell me another one if I try the DIY fix on the Bridgeport.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Sweet!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,280 Senior Member
    There was a soldier shooting one of those at a match recently. It ran great and was very nice.

I heard that Rem is going to discontine the Para line and fold it into the Remington brand. Can't remember where I heard it so it could be BS.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    BAMAAK wrote: »

I heard that Rem is going to discontine the Para line and fold it into the Remington brand. Can't remember where I heard it so it could be BS.
    I've seen that online on a couple of gun blogs, supposedly it's already happened :uhm: These may be the remnants, I don't know. Just glad I got mine before they disappear. just a few cents under $500 delivered to my FFL, + $20 to him for the transfer

I will say, besides the MSH, the only other things I am not 100% pleased with are the trigger, and the plain black rear sight. The trigger should be an easy enough fix (for a series 80 design) if it gets to bothering me enough.

• bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    Nice grab! Congrats!
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Well at least your flat MSH doesn't have ... as CPJ calls it ... an "ignition switch" in it like my little EMP. Nobody makes a replacement yet, if ever and I don't know if SA will sell me another one if I try the DIY fix on the Bridgeport.

Have you compared the EMP MSH to an Officers MSH? I just assumed they were the same.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    Yep, EMP's is slightly less deep. I don't think any parts on the EMP are interchangeable with anything else since it is pretty much a shrunk down version of the 1911. Also an arched MSH for an Officer's is limited if I even attempted to mill one down. Smith & Alexander offers them but Ed Brown and Wilson don't so pickings are slim ... only a few of us seem to like arched MSHs.
    - George Orwell
    Check out this build from another forum; he used a VZ Grips Officers MSH for his EMP.
    https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/harrison-emp.757/

NRA Endowment Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    :applause: Very nice! I thought Para had gone bye bye?
    Well, if you look at their website, the "Latest" catalog is 2014 and the address they currently list is 1816 Remington Circle, Huntsville, AL.
    Mine is marked Para USA Charlotte, NC

And thank you all, I am pleased with it :beer:

After cleaning & re-lubing it today, stoked it with 230gr +p HSTs and carried it for the first time. MUCH nicer than my full weight steel one.

Honestly I don't understand why so many 1911 owners throw such a holy fit about lightweight frames. No one ever complains about the alloy frames on their SIGs, Berettas, or any other full-caliber pistols. To my mind, lightweight frame .45s are at less risk for failure since the pressure is so much lower.

I love carrying my two lightweight 1911s, and they shoot like lasers!

NRA Endowment Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Honestly I don't understand why so many 1911 owners throw such a holy fit about lightweight frames. No one ever complains about the alloy frames on their SIGs, Berettas, or any other full-caliber pistols. To my mind, lightweight frame .45s are at less risk for failure since the pressure is so much lower.

I love carrying my two lightweight 1911s, and they shoot like lasers!
    Don't know :uhm:

Maybe because JMB didn't design it with one??? Doesn't matter to me, I have no qualms about one. I wanted it just for the ease of carry.