Off-set scope?

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 10,248 Senior Member
My Savage 340 .22 Hornet has a split receiver and it looks like the scope is off-set to the right a bit. I don't know if this is a fault of the mounts or if they all look like this. I took it to the range today and zeroed it in at 75 yards, which is how far the target was.

I first sighted it in at 25 to see if I could get it on paper. I don't remember shooting it before, but a 25 yard zero was dead on but meant about 8" high at 75 because of the scope height. I may have bore-sighted it in before, but if I did, it was an honest bore-sight. The windage at the longer range was fine, so maybe the off-set scope doesn't matter that much, or maybe I'm seeing things. Got it zeroed in and the best I could shoot it was about 1 1/2" or 1 3/4". Bad trigger, but it was probably me rushing the shots.

I wonder if it's going to matter much since it's a 100-125 yard gun at most.
Not too many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,751 Senior Member
    If it is offset you are better off to figure out how far left or right and adjusting your point of aim for that. Lemme splain'. If your offset scope is 1" left of bore set your POA 1" to the left that way you will stay true to your bullet travel. If you don't your sight plane and bullet travel plane will be an "X" only true at your sighted in distance. It will be left of it before and right of it after, way too many mental maneuvers to do in the field. Just remember your an inch left and all s good.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,248 Senior Member
    It's not an inch off, maybe a quarter inch. And the windage difference between 25 and 75 was the same, as far as I can tell. It just looks odd. I haven't shot the rifle that much but will wring it out once I load some more rounds. I've got some loaded but don't know exactly where they are.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06