Home Main Category Clubhouse

Cincinnati Zoo's killing of gorilla to rescue 4-year-old boy sparks outrage

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Idiots, a child s life, any human life is more important than any animals.

Jack Hanna just said on the news it takes 5-10 minutes for a tranquilizer to take effect on a Gorilla, so that is why they shot it to save the little boy. He also said 4 grown men can't handle a Chimp and a Gorilla can crush a coconut with one hand with their strength.

"An animal rights group expressed outrage Sunday at the killing of a 400-pound, 17-year-old gorilla to protect a small child that had fallen into a shallow moat at the Cincinnatil Zoo"

Watch this................

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/30/cincinnati-zoos-killing-gorilla-to-rescue-4-year-old-boy-sparks-outrage.html?intcmp=hphz10
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    The only thing different I've been hearing is that the kid didn't "fall" in, he had been saying he wanted to go in and apparently found a way

Well, the parents should take some blame here even though they (4 yr old) can dart and run off in a flash.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Sad the gorilla paid more attention to the kid than his parents did!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,203 Senior Member
    Speaking as a father of 4 boys, I am not surprised that the 4 year old did what he did, such is life with boys, you must TRY to plan for whatever they may come up with, you will lose your election for father of the year quite early EVERY year. You want to boy proof a gorilla cage? Build your security and bring a busload of pre-schoolers and a 1/2 dozen 16-18 year olds to the zoo and tell them to break into the enclosure, adjust the security as necessary.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    One of my nephews (now in college) was at a restaurant and when he was 4 or 5 and as kids do, was over looking at the coin operated candy/gum/toy dispensers.... stuck his arm inside one of them Gumball like machines and they had to call the FD to saw it apart and free him.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,984 Senior Member
    As it is, animals have more "rights" than human beings! You'll get in more trouble shooting a dog than you would for murder!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    These little kids move fast.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Speaking as a father of 4 boys, I am not surprised that the 4 year old did what he did, such is life with boys, you must TRY to plan for whatever they may come up with, you will lose your election for father of the year quite early EVERY year. You want to boy proof a gorilla cage? Build your security and bring a busload of pre-schoolers and a 1/2 dozen 16-18 year olds to the zoo and tell them to break into the enclosure, adjust the security as necessary.

Not only boys. My little princess has done a few things that scared the hell out of me (and her mother).

When she was about three she let herself out the back door. I assumed she was playing with the dogs. I look out the slider and see her standing on the patio table edge. The patio is concrete, the table is six feet from the lawn. I run out the door and grab an arm and ask, "What are you doing??!?!" She looks me straight in the eye and says "I can make it." She was considering running, jumping, and clearing six feet of concrete to land on the grass.

I knew right then this girl was going to break some bones.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

CaliFFL wrote: »
    Not only boys. My little princess has done a few things that scared the hell out of me (and her mother).

When she was about three she let herself out the back door. I assumed she was playing with the dogs. I look out the slider and see her standing on the patio table edge. The patio is concrete, the table is six feet from the lawn. I run out the door and grab an arm and ask, "What are you doing??!?!" She looks me straight in the eye and says "I can make it." She was considering running, jumping, and clearing six feet of concrete to land on the grass.

I knew right then this girl was going to break some bones.

Yep, the difference with boys is that they would attempt the jump just because they saw you coming and were going to ruin their science experiment, still waiting to get the bill for son #2's toe surgery, better buy some Rolaids now while I can still afford them:jester:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I think one of Robert Ruark's books talked about Gorilla hunting. One test to check a mans mettle was to go into the forest where they have a habitat and stand still as they charged, stopped, charged again and stopped to challenge them, but wait until they were just a few feet away before calling their "Bluff" and then firing at their chest. Some used revolvers, I think he said .45 caliber meaning a 1917 or one in .45 Colt.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    better buy some Rolaids now while I can still afford them:jester:
    Those little kids are quick! My son darted off like that a few times. You turn around and just like that, he vanished. One of those times was at Niagara Falls when he was 3! He was still inside the visitor center when we found him, but wow... me and the Mrs. were in horror for a couple of minutes frantically looking for him.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    My son can't even walk all the time yet. You turn your back for a few seconds, and he is into everything.

I think this is just a sad tragic confluence of events. The gorilla clearly needed to be put down. I can not understand anyone thinking differently. As for punishing the parents, as has been said, the little ones will be off in a second. Unless you can somehow show gross negligence, it is what it is.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,043 Senior Member
    Sometimes, even with your best efforts, everything can go wrong. I ain't calling out the parents till we see a surveillance video that shows the parents doing something dumb
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    I'm definitely not going to judge the mom too harshly because NOTHING you can do will mitigate every instance of curiosity from a young kid, let alone a boy. That said, they have to bear some of he responsibility for this purely from a legal standpoint because, at the end of the day, you are responsible for your child's actions.

As for the gorilla, the lunacy of the animal rights people will always be just that. I feel bad that an endangered animal had to be put down when he was really just minding his own business up to that point, but once I saw him running around with that kid held by the leg (clearly now the kid had just become a piece of property to the gorilla), there's was no question the zoo acted properly. Not only that, but I got to thinking: with as close as he was keeping that kid, even if they used a tranquilizer dart on him *and* he stayed totally calm until it took effect, there is absolutely no assurance that all 400 lbs. of him wouldn't have landed right on top of that kid, crushing or drowning him depending on where it happened. Right there, you have defeated the purpose of taking less than lethal measures on the ape.

If it were my kid, they would have a poster of me on display at the zoo shaking the shooter's hand after the incident. Then again, they may not have had to wait for the zoo's designated shooter to handle it...but I digress...
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Harness/leashes for kids have been out for a long time now. Some people consider them cruel, but in my mind it would be more cruel not to use one and have something like this end in tragedy for the child. I know when I was growing up and in the age range from about 3 to 7 years old I gave my parents a few premature gray hairs doing some spectacularly stupid stunts (and got my britches dusted on my backside for it.)

And animal rights people are mostly dumber than a box of dirt, with very rare instances of sanity.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,663 Senior Member
    Ewbav4Q.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,540 Senior Member
    Send the parents a bill for one healthy gorilla. Problem solved.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Ewbav4Q.jpg

This is an election year. if the street junkie with AIDS is a Republican, I'm with P&T. If he's a Democrat, I'm with the monkeys. Politics is everything.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,663 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    This is an election year. if the street junkie with AIDS is a Republican, I'm with P&T. If he's a Democrat, I'm with the monkeys. Politics is everything.

Human life > animal life.............. Even a Liberal.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Human life > animal life.............. Even a Liberal.
    Liberal = animal.

You've obviously not been paying attention.
    I'm just here for snark.
    Liberal = animal.

You've obviously not been paying attention.

Liberals are like jellyfish; no spine and no brain. Just a big blob of stiff mucus.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,575 Senior Member
    A similar event occurred in the San Diego Zoo several years ago. A touring group from Prague was given a special tour and at its end one person was missing. A laptop with a jacket folded on top was found above the polar bear enclosure. As the female was the more aggressive of the two, and fearing the worst, she was sedated, x-rayed, but nothing was found. The Zoo then assumed that the Czech was in the male.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    A similar event occurred in the San Diego Zoo several years ago. A touring group from Prague was given a special tour and at its end one person was missing. A laptop with a jacket folded on top was found above the polar bear enclosure. As the female was the more aggressive of the two, and fearing the worst, she was sedated, x-rayed, but nothing was found. The Zoo then assumed that the Czech was in the male.

:buff:
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    In spite of all the furor, one of the first things I wondered was.....what exactly does one use to take down a 400 pound, testosterone-loaded gorilla? I'd have to dig out one of the .45-70s...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Not hard to kill from what I've read, but the bigger the gun........ would be better.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I think back in the day Ruger advertised the Deerfield carbine for such tasks, but I can't recall the trigger man.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    In spite of all the furor, one of the first things I wondered was.....what exactly does one use to take down a 400 pound, testosterone-loaded gorilla? I'd have to dig out one of the .45-70s...

Head shot with anything .30 cal or up would work. Take out the brain and the body is just inert bone and protoplasm.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member

BINGO!!!!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Then again, they may not have had to wait for the zoo's designated shooter to handle it...but I digress...

My kid? I'd have been in that enclosure at slide lock and reloading before the first pansy screamed, "Somebody do something!"

And likely were it someone else's kids too.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee wrote: »
    My kid? I'd have been in that enclosure at slide lock and reloading before the first pansy screamed, "Somebody do something!"

And likely were it someone else's kids too.

Makes my J-frame and my speedloaders of Hornady Critical Defense, Starfires, and Federal Hydra-Shok .38 +P's seem lacking, that being said, I would be out of ammo or the gorilla would be down once the kid got touched.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member

Calebib used to work in a Zoo. IIRC he said they had some 12 ga on hand for emergency dispatchings.