Since so many people like shooting my "Mini-Man" target...

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 19,018 Senior Member
Here's a link to where I got it a few years ago
http://www.lvsteeltargets.com/
Being spring loaded, it's nice because you hit it, it falls back and then springs back, ready to be shot again. Mine is the 1/2" and has handled everything from 22LR to 300 WinMag to 50 Beowulf. Most of the small dimples you see in it are from the 'Wulf with 300gr Hornady FTX. The only other damage it's really taken are from edge hits, where the steel is a little bit softer from the cutting heat.

Here's what mine currently looks like, it was white when I unloaded it @ Jerry's Friday night

DSC_3280_zpswxxh45ru.jpg
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,018 Senior Member
    Just to be clear, I have no interest in the company, just passing along info for anyone else interested in acquiring one
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,708 Senior Member
    Is that the same one that you brought a few years ago? That one sprung back noticably when it was hit but this one seems much more rigid. I hit it a couple of times with a .284 and I could hear it clang but didn't notice any visible movement.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,140 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Is that the same one that you brought a few years ago? That one sprung back noticably when it was hit but this one seems much more rigid. I hit it a couple of times with a .284 and I could hear it clang but didn't notice any visible movement.

Clearly it was shot with a .270, not a .284.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 351 Member
    Expensive, but nice looking.
    Yep, same one. Though with where it was sitting, slightly behind a knoll, you couldn't see it moving as well

cpj wrote: »
    The reason everyone shot it so much was, it was the only one not broken. :tooth:
    Not for lack of trying :rotflmao:

That one has survived a LOT in the 6-7 years I've had it, and it hasn't broke yet

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,778 Senior Member
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee wrote: »

It's not the actual targets breaking as they're all AR500 plates but the chains that support them are getting shot apart. The wooden supports on the ones that you posted would get shot in half in a couple of minutes. There are a lot of rounds going downrange during the shoot.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,778 Senior Member
    The wood is cheap and easy to replace and besides that.............don't miss.

:-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee wrote: »
    The wood is cheap and easy to replace and besides that.............don't miss.

:-)
    In at least half the cases, it's NOT missing causing the problem, it's either purposely aimed hits on the chains, or in at least one case this weekend, a hit with a 12ga slug on the plate breaking the chain loose. (From a bald guy that will remain nameless)

I know someone from Mozambique that takes breaking the chains as a challenge :tooth:

So setting up one that just springs back up makes a better option :up:

ETA: I know in years I've taken the 'wulf, more than a few folks used it specifically with the intention of breaking them :roll:

EATA: One of the reasons it hasn't been taken in the last couple of years

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,427 Senior Member
    If I had a place around here to set them up, I would own a few steel targets.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,351 Senior Member
    My son managed to kill a chain at around 75 yards. He wasn't trying, but sure enough he got it!
    I'm still experimenting with different ways to support the plates that will hold up to abuse. I've tried firehose, and three different weights of chain, but I've got some hardened chain and some braided cable that I still want to try. At the shoot, I had a member that volunteered to handle the target repairs as it's just a matter of repairing the links with a scrap of coat hanger wire and I get tired of doing it. Four out of five of the plates had cut chains within the first 30 minutes and the volunteer reneged. I won't mention his name but his initials were farmboydeuce.:jester:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    So like the movies you can shoot a handcuff/shackle chain and it will break?

I reckon it might hurt some though.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The gongs at the 200-something yard range are supported by some pretty flimsy chain, and I don't recall them getting broken in several years. Of course, that bush hog stump jumper and the flywheel are a lot bigger targets, and there's only 3 or 4 links of chain exposed.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I'm still experimenting with different ways to support the plates that will hold up to abuse. I've tried firehose, and three different weights of chain, but I've got some hardened chain and some braided cable that I still want to try. At the shoot, I had a member that volunteered to handle the target repairs as it's just a matter of repairing the links with a scrap of coat hanger wire and I get tired of doing it. Four out of five of the plates had cut chains within the first 30 minutes and the volunteer reneged. I won't mention his name but his initials were farmboydeuce.:jester:

It wasn't so much that I decided not to repair them, it was more that I forgot my repair supplies.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,100 Senior Member
    I use heavy hay baling belt/strap
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Portable
    BFF9A4A3-CE9B-4F92-BFEE-09D1A8B652B4_zpsnpmgkgkz.jpg

Fixed
    IMG_6831-1.jpg
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Ernie you might be a genius. I can't believe I never thought of using old belting.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    I imagine suspending the target with hardened angle iron with the v pointing toward the shooter might resist better than chain. Weld an eye bolt behind in the back of the angle iron a few inches from the top and use it to connect to the frame and overlap the connector with angle iron on top of it. It would still swing and the angle iron would act as an over armor and protect the connection to the frame.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    Portable
    BFF9A4A3-CE9B-4F92-BFEE-09D1A8B652B4_zpsnpmgkgkz.jpg

Fixed
    IMG_6831-1.jpg

Ernies hangers are brilliant, but some shooters might find the bolt heads targets, and at 100 yards they would be challanged frequently.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Ernies hangers are brilliant, but some shooters might find the bolt heads targets, and at 100 yards they would be challanged frequently.

A 3/8" or 1/2" bolt is going to take quite a bit of abuse.
    Dad 5-31-13
    We start using steel targets at 200 yards or 250 yards
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    A plain Jane grade 5 will take exactly one well placed shot. Bolts need to be hardened. Trust me. At least 3/8 carriage bolts.

I would have guessed that a Grade 8 bolt would shatter.
    Dad 5-31-13
    I think I have some countersunk bolts laying around I will try. They are harder than woodpecker lips.
    Dad 5-31-13
    A 3/8" or 1/2" bolt is going to take quite a bit of abuse.

Not really, soft steel is soft steel, no matter how thick it is. The coke can target was 5/8" cold rolled plate and someone shot the heck out of it with ball ammo at 100yds. I've been using carriage bolts on the targets hoping that the rounded head would deflect the bullets and energy a little better and grade five is as hard as they make them. They held up pretty good until people started focusing on them. The chains and bolts are going to take lots of hits accidentally anyway and every year I try to get the targets to hold up better. After seven years, I've tried a bunch of different things and being able to repair them quickly and cheaply is a factor also. We have our own range and I have lots of ball and steel core ammo to test with and I've got a few more ideas to try. I might try firehose again and suspend them with one piece from the middle. Year before last, I took a couple of plates that were 1/2" steel instead of the 3/8" like the others and tried a heavier chain and discovered that the heavier targets absorbed more energy and the hardware got tore up much faster. The lighter plates and chain dissipate the energy instead of absorbing it. When someone is shooting ball rifle rounds at 25 and 50 yard targets, there is a lot of energy to absorb.
    When we are doing a match or something involving a lot of shooting, we have some extra bolts washers and nuts with us in case one does get destroyed.
    I do not use the set up pictured for 25, 50 or 100 yards or even 150 yard use
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,612 Senior Member
    I use heavy hay baling belt/strap

This,after replacing chains I went to rubber belts with steel woven through similar to tires but still flexible enough to attach to plates. They absorb hits and allow the plate to swing freely.
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    This,after replacing chains I went to rubber belts with steel woven through similar to tires but still flexible enough to attach to plates. They absorb hits and allow the plate to swing freely.

I'm considering tire tread also as I've seen it used and it takes bullet hits very well.
    The chain is a one and done. I hit the 280 yard one with one lousy .223. It was a FMJ, though. But still, one hit and it was toast. And it pissed me off. That was fun hitting steel at that distance.

Friends don't let friends use chain when it comes to shooting steel.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"