A milestone - 425 yards with a handgun

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 9,724 Senior Member
This past weekend, I was able to spend a few hours out at a long range with some friends and was able to hit a balloon tied to a target stand at a measured 425 yards on the second shot.

While this may seem to be a who-hum proposition to some, I did this with a factory stock $300 CVA Scout in .243 with a midrange scope (weaver 2-7). About an 8" target with the second shot at 425 yards... Off of a cheap bipod and the rear bag was a cut off bluejean leg filled with rice.

To say i was stunned is an understatement. I was able to intro a shooter to longer ranges at the same time, and he was able to cone t with a few 400 yard targets with his dpms AR10 at the same time.

That was pretty damn fun. Will be going back soon to try more stuff at range.
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I don't think it's a hohum deal with a scoped rifle.
    Outstanding achievement.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,600 Senior Member
    :guns::devil:

Most excellent!!!!!!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,197 Senior Member
    That is hella good shooting! Congratulations.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,681 Senior Member
    That's cool, nice shooting!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,919 Senior Member
    Dang. that is a long shot in my neck of the woods, I have no clue if we have a 400+ range in MN outside of a military base.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,724 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Dang. that is a long shot in my neck of the woods, I have no clue if we have a 400+ range in MN outside of a military base.

This is a private range with steel targets going from 25 yards all the way out to 425. I was invited it to an event there with a couple friends to blast away. Someone had tied up some balloons earlier in the day, and a couple were still leftway out at 425 when we got to the bench. My buddy hit the one on the right with his DPMS, then dared me to hit the white one with the CVA. Well, I had just worked out the holdover on a 400 yard man sized steel (the narrowing of the duplex under the crosshair at the top of the head put the round just below center of mass), so I fired a round which drifted a bit in the crosswind. So I held about 6 inches to the left and let fly. My buddy saw the hit through his scope... I lost sight of it in recoil.

One thing I found on paper later in the day at 100 yards- the pistol hits about an inch higher with the bipod removed. That is good to know for field carry.

Long range is fun. We have been invited back to play when it is not so crowded. Next is my DPMS ar10 and NEF .308. I want to see how those do at range. I also played with the mosin nagants and was able to score off hand hits on man sized targets out to 200. That was pretty damn fun as well.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    cpj wrote: »
    That's addicting. Get a 4" steel gong. That's MOA, and you don't have to keep changing balloons.

Yeah, this will be done again...soon.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    early wrote: »
    I don't think it's a hohum deal with a scoped rifle.
    Outstanding achievement.

Thanks!
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Zee wrote: »
    :guns::devil:

Most excellent!!!!!!!!

I blame you.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Jermanator wrote: »
    That is hella good shooting! Congratulations.

Thanks. I can't wait to get more toys out soon to play
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    timc wrote: »
    That's cool, nice shooting!

Thanks!
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    Very proud and very happy for you!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Great shooting!! I'd like to try that with my .44!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,841 Senior Member
    Well done :up:

As others have already said, it's addicting
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    Bullsi, 425 yards? That is totally awesome dude! It don't get no better n dat! Did you kill a deer with that thing this past season? Or was that somebody else here? Anyway, if you didn't yet, I can see it in your future. Again, Awesome!

Man, 425 yards is almost outta my Zip Code! Again Fantastic!

Congrats! Not good but Great shooting!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,588 Senior Member
    Yes, that is indeed great shooting. Well done. Now do it again. :biggrin:

But all that pales in comparison to the guy who was going to shoot subMOA at 1000 yards with his revolver. Whatever happened to that guy?
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,224 Senior Member
    I made an almost identical shot at a balloon at 400 yards. I was shooting a .270, though, and while I hit the balloon, the bullet bounced off. :)
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,539 Senior Member
    Wow!

Well done. :cool2:
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Gene L wrote: »
    I made an almost identical shot at a balloon at 400 yards. I was shooting a .270, though, and while I hit the balloon, the bullet bounced off. :)

Snake will tell you that you didn't pull the trigger hard enough.
    Pegasus wrote: »
    Yes, that is indeed great shooting. Well done. Now do it again. :biggrin:

But all that pales in comparison to the guy who was going to shoot subMOA at 1000 yards with his revolver. Whatever happened to that guy?

This is reality.
    Our wonder boy that thought he could do that with a revolver at a grand was dreaming.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Was that Heavy Max????? I'm still waiting on him to come back.............and show us.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    It doesn't hurt to be a good shot like bullsi is anyway. Quite the feat for anyone, though.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Was that Heavy Max????? I'm still waiting on him to come back.............and show us.
    Yes.
    It would cool to see the attempt. Never know till you try it.
    I was kind of planning to go out to 750 yards or so, but I haven't done much shooting of anything recently
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    He must be perfecting his revolver, a DW I believe.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,099 Senior Member
    Good shooting Bullsi! And that pistol sounds like it has some accuracy potential, too! :up:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Close to a 1/4 mile with that CVA, is just cool!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,099 Senior Member
    He must be perfecting his revolver, a DW I believe.

Don't forget it's got that tensioned barrel, too! :up: :tooth:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

It doesn't hurt to be a good shot like bullsi is anyway. Quite the feat for anyone, though.

Totally agree. (Be very careful; don't inflate Bullsi's ego any more than needed. Especially if you're within 425 yards of him.)
    tennmike wrote: »
    Don't forget it's got that tensioned barrel, too! :up: :tooth:

Yeah, the tension is unbearable.
    Close to a 1/4 mile with that CVA, is just cool!

So, you're saying this is a quartermilestone?