AR Mag issue

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
After firing my Ruger 556 at the shoot, I couldn't reinsert the mag that came with it.........all others worked fine. I think Kansas Hunter (and the fellow whose wife is one of the Apron Ladies who owns the canopy's...I forget his name???) also saw me fiddling with it. We smelled something "Hot" and surmised it was because it was so new the rifle's factory lube or coated parts and/or that plastic mag.

Wonder if the rifle got too hot, but I wasn't shootin all that fast or using quick reloads.

It inserts and falls free now. All the metal mags worked fine, even the older military ones with green followers.

The one that came with it is a P-mag 30 I was having issues with.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    Weird. I've never had any issues with P-Mags even with a very hot weapon. Not sure what to tell you.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,731 Senior Member
    Weird. I've never had any issues with P-Mags even with a very hot weapon. Not sure what to tell you.

Same here. I have gotten ARs smoking hot running pmags and never had one stick.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Same here. I have gotten ARs smoking hot running pmags and never had one stick.

Wonder if the mag well got too hot, but the metal ones worked fine?

Maybe whomever that was with me when it happened will chime in..................
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,281 Senior Member
    When you insert it, is the mag release button poping back out or staying depressed? I had one P-mag you had to slam pretty hard after inserting it for the detent to engage.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    It had arthritis
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    NN wrote: »
    It had arthritis

That just may be the closest to the problem yet :jester:

Did you see the problem? You fired it right?
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    That just may be the closest to the problem yet :jester:

Did you see the problem? You fired it right?
    I saw you were having an issue with it, just too noisy at the time to understand it.

Yeah I did shoot it.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Inserts, locks bolt back and drops fine now, I just tried it again (empty anyhow).
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,070 Senior Member
    AR Gremlins....did you try it in another (someone elses) AR?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    AR Gremlins....did you try it in another (someone elses) AR?

No not yet.

I did insert the bullets in the right direction (has a outline of a cartridge on the side of the Mag) and put it in the rifle with the bullets pointed at the muzzle the way I want them to go :tooth:
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,444 Senior Member
    It wasn't that the mag wouldn't seat it would not start into the mag well. I don't have one so I was not much help but after big chief got it started it went it and worked fine. I could smell something hot but I think it was something in the rifle, grease or paint or something because the mag did not smell.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    Did it happen more than once?
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    Did it happen more than once?

I think I quit using it and loaded the other kinds/ones I had with me.