Home Main Category Clubhouse

Barbecue thoughts.... beef vs. pork

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,877 Senior Member
I barbecued a pork shoulder this weekend. Bone in, about 9 lb., took 10 hours or so. Came out delicious. Growing up here in FL, when someone said they were doing a barbecue, it was pork. Always. If they did chickens, they specified they were doing barbecued chicken. We never did beef. In fact, I can't think of anyone barbecuing beef. It just wasn't done. We barbecued. Often. It was a common fundraiser, church social, or community social.

Which was odd, really. FL has a long history of raising beef cattle. In fact it has the longest history of beef production of any state in the nation. Florida natives were called "crackers" because they used long bullwhips to drive cattle through the FL swamplands, and Frederic Remington said FL's cracker cattlemen, as a group, were the most disreputable, dangerous group he'd come across. FL currently ranks 9th in the nation in beef production, and at one time was second in the nation next to Texas.

Growing up I knew a lot of cattlemen. Ones who raised beef for consumption. But they didn't barbecue beef. They either had hogs for such, or they bought them. Beef were for steaks, sausages, and ground beef. Brisket? That was sold to other folks. It's odd, really. You'd think with all that beef around we'd have barbecued it...
I'm just here for snark.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,985 Senior Member
    Beef.

Its what's for dinner!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Beef is for steak and hamburger.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Uhmm....Brisket. Have you not heard of such? There is also the Tri Tip. Those are two great cuts to BBQ. I do my Brisket for over 12 hours, and you can cut it with a fork. Delicious.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Call me what you want, but beef is good barbecued, so is venison and lamb. Obviously pork is very good.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Given the choice of one or t'other, I'll go for pork BBQ over beef. It's a taste thing. But BBQ'd beef brisket is some mighty fine eats, too. Maybe them FL Crackers felt about cattle same as me; I hates 'em, I hates 'em I does. But steaks, ground beef, and beef sausage(with hog fat added) is good stuff. Vicious, evil, conniving creatures with murder on their minds is what cattle are. They work at being contrary murderous beasties. And BBQ pork is more fat, and fat adds flavor, so there's that to consider, too.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Beef is for steak and hamburger........

That would be Beef burger.

Gammon is Ham.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    Speaking of hamburger....next time you grind some, throw a couple of strips of bacon in the grinder...then run it through again....Texas Squealers....I will lay odds that it's the best burger you have ever eaten...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Beef.

Its what's for dinner!

Straight off the BBQ!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Both
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Speaking of hamburger....next time you grind some, throw a couple of strips of bacon in the grinder...then run it through again....Texas Squealers....I will lay odds that it's the best burger you have ever eaten...
    We used have the butcher put a little pork fat in our hamburger back when we were butchering Holstein bulls. Don't need to anymore with our Herefords.

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Yes, that's bacon, and on the smoker is the best place to cook it. It ends up perfectly straight and the proper texture since it wasn't fried in its own fat.

718dab79fb2cc6ba5252c1e3fbe6e026.jpg
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    shush wrote: »

Gammon is Ham.

Wait...I thought Gammon was some kind of fish????
    Buffco wrote: »
    We used have the butcher put a little pork fat in our hamburger back when we were butchering Holstein bulls. Don't need to anymore with our Herefords.

It's a flavor /juicy thing. I don't skimp on burger, but I still mix ground pork with a lot of dishes that involve burger...meat loaf, chili, etc....
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Unless a cut of meat is already tender, smoking it properly means under 210 F and over 8 hours to make the connective tissues dissolve and make it tender.

IE: It might take four hours to bring an 8 lb roast up to 190 F. It needs to remain there for another 8 hours. I foil wrap after two hours to keep it from drying out in the smoker, and let it end cook 1 hour without the foil.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    We did a lot of lamb until lamb got gold platted.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    We did a lot of lamb until lamb got gold platted.
    Check the stores after Christmas and Easter-- lamb will be marked down. Sam's Club is also a good place any time for reasonably priced, quality lamb.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,044 Senior Member
    Barbecue is meat cooked low and slow with smoke. It can be pork, beef, chicken, turkey, etc... Heck, the first barbecue I remember attending was cabrito... Which is goat for those outside the region.

Texas is known for beef barbecue, with brisket being King and beef ribs being a much sought after commodity. But pork is done in nearly the same amount here as beef. And some of the best pulled pork and pork ribs were done right here in Texas.

Saying "bbq is pork because that's what I had growing up" is like saying "wine is only Chardonnay because that's all my parents drank".
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Wait...I thought Gammon was some kind of fish????

He's on about curing hogs legs like you do the ham, I think. Ham is hog thighs, and gammon is the lower rear legs and the complete front legs(separated at the elbow joint) cured like ham. Good stuff, too!
    ― Douglas Adams
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Saying "bbq is pork because that's what I had growing up" is like saying "wine is only Chardonnay because that's all my parents drank".

Actually, it might be a more accurate comparison to say "beer is only blonde lagers because I only ever saw Budweiser being drank when I was little."
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    I think some of y'all are missing my point. I grew up around a lot of folks who ranched cattle. They made a fair piece of money on them. I find it odd that they never... barbecued them. Even the ranchers barbecued pork. I'd honestly never had legitimate barbecued beef until I bought it at a barbecue joint. It's good. Very good. I prefer pork, but beef's pretty good. I just think it's odd that nobody I knew barbecued beef.

So is bear and goat, BTW. Never did venision, but that's probably because FL deer are like dogs, size-wise. Not a whole lot of meat to 'cue. They tended to get pan-fried or grilled.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Barbecue is meat cooked low and slow with smoke. It can be pork, beef, chicken, turkey, etc... Heck, the first barbecue I remember attending was cabrito... Which is goat for those outside the region.

Had to dig this old gem back up.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    I think some of y'all are missing my point. I grew up around a lot of folks who ranched cattle. They made a fair piece of money on them. I find it odd that they never... barbecued them. Even the ranchers barbecued pork. I'd honestly never had legitimate barbecued beef until I bought it at a barbecue joint. It's good. Very good. I prefer pork, but beef's pretty good. I just think it's odd that nobody I knew barbecued beef.

So is bear and goat, BTW. Never did venision, but that's probably because FL deer are like dogs, size-wise. Not a whole lot of meat to 'cue. They tended to get pan-fried or grilled.

Deer meat barbecued or smoked in a smoker is some MIGHTY FINE eats. A shoulder or ham barbecued is good stuff, and a whole neck has more meat than you'd think.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Smoking a beef brisket used to be considered kind of an art form, because most folks did it very poorly, and ended up chopping it up for sandwiches. They couldn't get it tender and couldn't get the hang of slicing it across the grain. However, since the Internet came along, anybody can find umpteen different methods that can produce tender and juicy sliced brisket.

Even so, I have smoked briskets and Boston Butts for large family gatherings, and served both, sliced. The pork always disappears first, even when the brisket is perfect.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I like beef and pork but having lived most of my life in the Panhandle of Florida, I've developed a preference for pork. I do like to smoke and barbecue meat and I'll be the first to admit that beef is far more difficult to get right. Pork turns out tender almost no matter what you do but it's very easy to turn beef ribs or brisket into a big tough chunk of meat. I personally think that beef ribs are the most difficult to get juicy and tender on the smoker but when you do, they are a work of art. I lived around Fort Worth for a little over seven years and got to experience some masterfully smoked beef in that time.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,970 Senior Member
    I enjoy both pork and beef, but my personal preference is beef.

I wasn't a fan of pork BBQ until Paul took me to a great place in Tuscaloosa, and then I discovered "Hawgs and Dawgs" in Ozark, AL as well.

My favorite is Cooper BBQ in Llano, TX.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    Beef or pork?

Yes, please! :drool2:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member

There is a food truck here that does this, the burgers are absolutely amazing! Pricey, but delicious
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    I love pork on the BBQ, shoulder and ribs are awesome and I do them on the Traeger several times a month. That being said, I did a brisket and a Tri-tip this last weekend. Some of the best stuff you can eat right there. I've always considered brisket to be the grail of BBQ myself though.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    The stuff Jerry fixed this weekend was some of the BEST I've ever had.

I use a vinegar/garlic/kosher salt/cayenne pepper injection marinade, and let the meat soak it up overnight, then use an aluminum roaster pan during the smoking process instead of letting the drippings fall into the smoker. The meat gets a liberal coat of daughter Debby's "Dangerous Rub" before smoking, also. Once the meat reaches 200 degrees internal temp, I debone and "pull" it with a couple of forks, and pour some of the drippings back over the meat to keep it moist.

Pulled pork will keep for several months in the freezer, bagged up into 1 or 2 pound portions and vacuum sealed. Thaw out a package and warm it up by either simmering the sealed bag in 200 degree water, or nuke it for a couple of minutes.
    Jerry

That is strange... But then again, I can't remember any of the cattlemen I know barbecuing anything. It was either grilled steak or chicken fried steak.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov