Vibrators and powder

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 10,305 Senior Member
They're not just for guilty pleasure any more. If you fill a case to the brim and vibrate it say on top of a case vibrator, if you can secure the cases to keep them from moving too much, it will settle the powder down a LOT. Like dropping it from two feet or more. I tried this for the first time tonight in the Hornet loads which were at the top of the case (13 gr. Little Gun) and it settled the powder down so far I had to weigh several of them again to make sure none of the powder had shaken out.

I don't have a smaller unit that will vibrate less, but I'll try to find one and report back. Should be helpful in loading max volume .222 loads with 4895, which I've been told is the go-to powder for accuracy.
Not too many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Well, why not.........they have a Vibra Prime tool, heck I may have one in the garage.

Some loads call for or say they will be compressed, will that have any detrimental effect on pressures or accuracy by compacting the powder and creating more air space?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/890424/frankford-arsenal-vibra-prime-automatic-primer-tube-filler
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,305 Senior Member
    I wouldn't think so, BC. Same compression in theory if you drop the charge a long way, or if you compress the charge while seating the bullet.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Who knows during shipping and handling how much powder gets tapped down, like tobacco in cigarettes some folks tap before they light them.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,305 Senior Member
    Tapping cigarettes I think went out with filters. I always thought tapping a cig was to keep the tobacco from getting on your lips. I used to smoke back a LONG time ago, Camels and Luckies. I tapped because I'd seen it in the movies. Some folks in the movies tapped the mouth-end of a cigarette, some tapped both ends, I guess to be sure.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Oh, some folks do that with filters too, packs the tobacco down and lights and burns better, more even they say.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    They do it with dip all the time.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,180 Senior Member
    An old Remington electric razor does a good job of vibrating powder charges down to compact them. I've done that with black powder loads to get the powder down to the point that I don't swell the case seating bullets.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.