Jungle Carbine Bayonet

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 19,592 Senior Member
Next sta-hooooooopid question:

Just received a reproduction bayonet for my .303 Enfield "Jungle Carbine". What is the little boss on the side of the sheath for? A lanyard?

attachment.php?attachmentid=8211&d=1464744930

attachment.php?attachmentid=8212&d=1464744930

attachment.php?attachmentid=8213&d=1464744930

ETA: Didn't mean to upload the ammo can picture, but since its here already, it can stay.
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Check some old war photos.
    Maybe???:uhm:

I found a pic with a web canvas loop for belt attachment. There's a button hole for the boss on the scabbard. I have no idea how to upload/transfer the photo.

I typed in ww2 British Soldier uniform bayonet attachment to find it.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,728 Senior Member
    It's for the "frog"... How the sheath is attached to the belt
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,728 Senior Member
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    Yep...it's to keep it from falling out of the frog...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Wait...is the Enfield a new acquisition? I don't recall you talking about it before...it would go nicely with a kilt....
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,592 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Wait...is the Enfield a new acquisition? I don't recall you talking about it before...it would go nicely with a kilt....

Inherited it from my dad. Don't get to shoot it often.

Thanx everybody for the frog info - I'm off to learn something (else) new! I knew I could count on you guys!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,233 Senior Member
    I had one of those. With mil-surp ammo it's painful. But handy. They were developed after WW 2 to fight insurgents in Burma, I believe. No 4 actions. There was a company who forged them on No 1 actions back in the day.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    It *does* have the rep for kicking like a mule - although the few times I've shot it I can't say its been uncomfortable. But then, I haven't shot it all day either! Dad bought it for somewhere around $50 sometime between 1960 and 1964 at a local "big box of its day" type store called "Monte Mart". Made in January of 1947. My parents always quarreled about it - my mother had her Grandfather's Winchester 30-30 that dad said was a piece of junk and sold it. Of course, to my mother, that 30-30 was the best rifle ever made, and the Enfield was junk. I'm sure the truth is somewhere in between, but Goddess only knows where. Just like which of them got the Buick stuck...

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Canvas bayonet frog.

C108-01.jpg

Attached to the belt and part of the webbing.

DSCN1417.jpg

When little I played with a set very similar to this.

And this;

s-l1000.jpg

Forage / Side Cap.

My Dad had his webs fitted with the Bren Gunner's Magazine pouch.

but he kept and used the No. 4 Mk. I spike and entrenching Tool Helve.

attachment.php?attachmentid=37811&d=1351641412

Yours for $89.95 + $10.05 shipping
    https://www.amazon.com/Original-British-WWII-Dated-Entrenching/dp/B006YJ820Q/190-1719277-2983612?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Wish I had them now.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

shush wrote: »

DSCN1417.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

Forage / Side Cap

We called our version something else entirely
    shush wrote: »
    Canvas bayonet frog.

C108-01.jpg

Yep - I went on a flurry of web research last nite, and even ordered me one for about $11 delivered. Gotta have all the accoutrements, don'tcha know?

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I remember reading about a "Floating Zero" with the Jungle Carbs.

Nice piece of Enfield and family history you got there.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I remember reading about a "Floating Zero" with the Jungle Carbs.

Nice piece of Enfield and family history you got there.

Thanx! Haven't a clue about the Floating Zero - I have neither the trigger time nor the finesse to know either way! Some say its BS, other's say its God's Own Truth (tm), still others say it varies from rifle to rifle!

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,418 Senior Member
    I seem to remember those jungle carbines being sold mail order in the back of Field and Stream magazine back in the 1950's for $29.95- - - -with a free box of ammo!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    I have two of the jungle carbines. When the barrel gets warm the shots start wandering around on the target. They're a 5-shooter and then you let it cool while you warm something else up. For their intended purpose the wandering zero wouldn't mean much at 100-200 yards on a man sized target. Biggest complaint I have on mine is that the rubber butt pads are hard as a rock, and those things kick like a small mule! :silly:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

cpj wrote: »
    See you next Tuesday

Yep.....
    cpj wrote: »
    See you next Tuesday
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Yep.....

:spittingcoffee: Yup. I've got my Dad's from the Marines, and mine from the TANG. The Navy was either a ballcap for working or a 'Dixie Cup' white hat for dress.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

One regulation .303 bayonet frog:

attachment.php?attachmentid=8225&d=1465070847

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    One regulation .303 bayonet frog:

attachment.php?attachmentid=8225&d=1465070847

I think I really hate you. That right there is one of my all time Grail guns. I never got one because of bad timing. When I had the money I always had some project going on. Then when the deal passed I hated myself the next morning. But that rifle right there is one of the most sexy not only on this planet but in this universe. I will have one some day. And if its zero wanders a little so what!!! I don't care. Because I know in my heart I could nail anything I want to shoot with it, it's just that good.

And Teach, back in the 50s and early 60s you could get them cheaper than that. I've seen em for $15.00 in the back of the American Rifleman. But in 1961-1962 for a 14 year old, $15 might as well have been a Million.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Snake, you are the first person I ever heard call a JC a grail gun...(no pun intended:angel2:).
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    Your Jungle Carbine is gorgeous. Never mind the so-called 'wandering zero' - the British were only able to duplicate the circumstance after prolonged and rapid firing in combat, as in a very long-lasting fire fight. That's not likely to be a problem you'll encounter.

My first center-fire rifle was a Jungle Carbine. Dear ol' Dad wanted to buy me a .22, I said "eff that" and selected a rather minty Jungle Carbine from a bunch of them on the gun store's surplus rack. $45 later, the rifle and a box of surplus ammo was mine. Regrettably, I sold it a dozen years later to help fund a Caribbean Cruise honeymoon. The boat ride was great, but I wish I had the rifle back. The Jungle Carbine is tied with the FR8 Mauser for "sexiest bolt-action rifle."
    horselips wrote: »
    Your Jungle Carbine is gorgeous. Never mind the so-called 'wandering zero' - the British were only able to duplicate the circumstance after prolonged and rapid firing in combat, as in a very long-lasting fire fight. That's not likely to be a problem you'll encounter.

My first center-fire rifle was a Jungle Carbine. Dear ol' Dad wanted to buy me a .22, I said "eff that" and selected a rather minty Jungle Carbine from a bunch of them on the gun store's surplus rack. $45 later, the rifle and a box of surplus ammo was mine. Regrettably, I sold it a dozen years later to help fund a Caribbean Cruise honeymoon. The boat ride was great, but I wish I had the rifle back. The Jungle Carbine is tied with the FR8 Mauser for "sexiest bolt-action rifle."

What year did you get one for $45? Not that I'm doubting you, I'm just questioning my own memory.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Differing opinions on them and whether the military just wanted to phase them out for a semi.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/no5-jungle-carbine-wandering-zero.52084/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Carbine
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member

American Rifleman
    March 1960
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    I just noticed the writing on those ammo cans. .50 cal. ball tracer and .50 cal. API armor piercing incendiary. That would be some nice ammo to have, but is pretty much illegal in most states. Forestry service takes a dim view of starting forest fires with that stuff! :silly: :tooth:

(I'd like 1,000 rounds of the A.P.I. for when things get 'interesting'.)

tennmike wrote: »
    I just noticed the writing on those ammo cans. .50 cal. ball tracer and .50 cal. API armor piercing incendiary. That would be some nice ammo to have, but is pretty much illegal in most states. Forestry service takes a dim view of starting forest fires with that stuff! :silly: :tooth:

(I'd like 1,000 rounds of the A.P.I. for when things get 'interesting'.)

...And those cans are probably illegal in California....I mean they say .50 caliber on them....and are therefore too dangerous to be in the common scum's hands....
    Good thing I'm not "common scum"! :roll2:

early wrote: »
    American Rifleman
    March 1960

Thanks Early, I got to thinking about what I had said about $15.00. I was thinking of a different Enfield. But wasn't too far off at $15, being you could get them for $25.00.

Of course, when you're dealing with something that happened 55-60 years back, it can be a crap shoot. Hell, I would love to find one for $100 right now, Fat Chance!
    snake284 wrote: »
    I think I really hate you. That right there is one of my all time Grail guns. I never got one because of bad timing. When I had the money I always had some project going on. Then when the deal passed I hated myself the next morning. But that rifle right there is one of the most sexy not only on this planet but in this universe. I will have one some day. And if its zero wanders a little so what!!! I don't care. Because I know in my heart I could nail anything I want to shoot with it, it's just that good.
    They're still not particularly expensive - go grab one! There's a pile of them on GunBroker right now from $400-$600.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,418 Senior Member
    Gibbs made a bunch of fake jungle carbines - - - -and their website looks like they're still making them, some in .308. At least they're not trying to pawn them off as "originals" like Mitchell's Mausers does!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite