Home Main Category Hunting

Ready for bow season

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 6,244 Senior Member

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    5102f0a279413fee318be0ba701477da.jpg

You mean you got seasons on pigs there? Here everyday is pig season.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    Good shooting Tonto.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Straight as an arrow.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    Nice grouping, how far out are you practicing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    Nice grouping, how far out are you practicing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That was 25.

The following was a field point (top) and fixed blade broad head (bottom) at 45 yards.

29cbe0844ffc8e017c655510459538b5.jpg
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,972 Senior Member
    Nice shooting.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee wrote: »
    Nice shooting.
    Thanks.
    Thanks.
    All jokes aside, that's some fine shooting.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    Nice shooting!

My youngest brought his compound bow out to the ranch for the weekend and said common dad give it a try. My problem is I'm right handed, left eye dominate and I can't wink my left eye. Serously all I do is make funny faces trying to close my left eye while keeping the right one open. Shooting a bow growing up was always instinctive for me as I was never able to use a sight unless I used an eye patch over my left eye. My son hustles into the barn and brings out a pair of safety glasses with the left eye lens taped off.

I was stoked to give his bow a try. My first shot missed the target at 25 yards by a foot. Not the center but the entire target. Next shot same thing and then my son said are you looking through the peep sight! I've never had one in the past to look through and didn't even consider it. Next shot using the peep sight was dead center. I'm digging this compound bow over my crossbow. I may pick me up one in the next few weeks and get me an eye patch of some kind for when I shoot.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,730 Senior Member
    Good shooting, but not much bacon on that pig. I'm weak and can no longer pull more than 45 pounds, traditional recurve, and no longer hunt.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    Yes you are, get your loin cloth drycleaned and you will be ready to go.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Looking good, Buffy. If you can get proficient out to 40 yards, you'll be good for 80% of your opportunities in the field. I've killed 6 deer with a compound bow over the past 3 seasons (2 more with a compound crossbow), and the longest shot was just inside of 40 yards. There were few chances outside of that range, but it always seems to workout that they will get close if you let them. You should be all set.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    cpj wrote: »
    Good shootin Rojo.
    I was just contemplating getting my bow out and practicing. Of course, I've done the same the past 8-9 years...

Time to make it happen.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Looking good, Buffy. If you can get proficient out to 40 yards, you'll be good for 80% of your opportunities in the field. I've killed 6 deer with a compound bow over the past 3 seasons (2 more with a compound crossbow), and the longest shot was just inside of 40 yards. There were few chances outside of that range, but it always seems to workout that they will get close if you let them. You should be all set.

If I can get half that good with my Muzzle Loader, I can have a lot of sausage next year. Now you've inspired me.
    A huge piece of advice for all bowhunters out there - one that I was never given until later in my bowhunting exploits: take a broadhead-rated block and an old, but identical to your regular hunting broadhead/arrow combo with you to the field. Then fire a shot with your bow wearing EXACTLY what you plan to in your stand. Adjust your pins as necessary before you walk to the stand!

The shift in POI due to a shifting anchor point because of clothing is real. If I go from a thin, summer practice outfit to heavy, winter weight clothing/facemask, etc. without checking my zero, it's going to get ugly. You can easily shift 4-5" at 20 yards when your normal anchor point on your nose/face just pushed out just a bit due to wearing a thick winter face mask. You will still shoot your normal group size groups, but your actual POI can be way off. Add in gloves and the effect gets even more pronounced. I keep a small, Rinehardt 18-in-1 broadhead target with me in my truck all season long, and fire at it every time I go to the stand or blind. The more dramatic the change in clothing from the previous time, the more likely there is to be a significant POI shift.
    Luckily, in SE GA, we bow hunt in very little clothing. It doesn't get cold down here until AFTER deer season. We usually are in short sleeves on Christmas.

As for Wambli's suggestions, all good points. My arrows are a tad noisy drawing across the rest, but it's a whisper only. Can't hear it just a few feet away.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,930 Senior Member
    Luckily, in SE GA, we bow hunt in very little clothing.

This qualifies as something you could have kept to yourself. Please take others into consideration before posting.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,730 Senior Member
    Luckily, in SE GA, we bow hunt in very little clothing. It doesn't get cold down here until AFTER deer season. We usually are in short sleeves on Christmas.

As for Wambli's suggestions, all good points. My arrows are a tad noisy drawing across the rest, but it's a whisper only. Can't hear it just a few feet away.

I used to hunt naked until I got a string-slap on my member. Ouch!
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    . My arrows are a tad noisy drawing across the rest, but it's a whisper only. Can't hear it just a few feet away. Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You cant but a deer can, I used to bow hunt until I blew out my rotator.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    jaywapti wrote: »
    You cant but a deer can, I used to bow hunt until I blew out my rotator.

JAY

This is absolutely true. Their hearing is frighteningly good. I have a rest that is silent to my ears on draw but, even from total concealment, deer inside of 20 yards will often perk up when I draw an arrow across it. Not much you can really do about it. Add some of that purpose-made, stick-on felt to your rest and check your broadhead tune after you do to ensure your POI is still true (which it likely won't be without some adjustments). Hit the woods, and time your draw for when the deer can't see you.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,396 Senior Member
    #1, dont stink. Deer are curious when it comes to sound, but if they smell something you will never see them. You can get by with a bow squeak, but not butt reek.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    This qualifies as something you could have kept to yourself. Please take others into consideration before posting.
    I meant we hunt in short sleeves. Hell I hunted in shorts last year. 95° and 100% humidity... no way I'm pulling on the thermals.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,930 Senior Member
    I meant we hunt in short sleeves. Hell I hunted in shorts last year. 95° and 100% humidity... no way I'm pulling on the thermals.

I feel better now.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    I would never hunt again if forced to hunt in those conditions.
    Funny thing is, folks from FL go to GA to hunt "in the cold."

Come to think of it, the only reason folks come to FL to hunt is so they can get an Osceola turkey.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,710 Senior Member
    I would never hunt again if forced to hunt in those conditions.
    I'm with Ya now, I have hunted doves in that weather when I was younger; but, no more.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia