Home Main Category Hunting

The waiting is killing me.

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 8,111 Senior Member
Got a ph call 4 weeks ago from the guy that looks after our 40 acre block up north. Seems the locals have released pigs on the forestry block that surrounds the property and they are coming on to the grass tearing the place up. ( The locals hunt pigs with dogs)

He asked me not to go shoot them as he wanted to trap as many as possible first as, once the shooting starts, they will disappear into the 'forest'.

So, he borrowed a pig trap and I organised some bakers dough to use as bait. So far he has only trapped 2 out of the dozen or more hogs in 4 weeks. In the meantime, my trigger finger has been itching something fierce. I have driven past the property on my way back from charters and seen the hogs tearing up the ground at the back of the property and already figured out how to deal to them. A quick walk after my last charter showed me where they are getting through the fence. To get to their exit point, the hogs have to cross a little bridge over a creek then head down a narrow spit to where the hole in the fence is.

I figure that I can set up to take the first shot at them in the paddock, then swing 90 degrees and pick them off as they travel single file down the spit to the hole.

Was thinking I might take either the 204 or 222 ( both suppressed) or the 7mm08 with 120gr handloads ( also suppressed).................In the meantime, the waiting is killing me.

If things go to plan, I will take the 375 H&H magnum on follow up trips..............in the cause for science.
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Dough is okay but add Strawberry Jello powder or Sweeten Strawberry Kool Aid powder in the center of the trap with a thin line trail leading in ...

It is like piggy crack and they will root 6" down to get every last crystal
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Dough is okay but add Strawberry Jello powder or Sweeten Strawberry Kool Aid powder in the center of the trap with a thin line trail leading in ...

It is like piggy crack and they will root 6" down to get every last crystal

You beat me to it, I was just going to say use cherry, watermelon or strawberry jello powder or Kool Aid powder, anything sweet smelling. Toss some up in some near by trees to get the scent up in the air to carry. They'll smell it and come a running.

You realize we're giving away trade secrets on jello powder!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    You beat me to it, I was just going to say use cherry, watermelon or strawberry jello powder or Kool Aid powder, anything sweet smelling. Toss some up in some near by trees to get the scent up in the air to carry. They'll smell it and come a running.

You realize we're giving away trade secrets on jello powder!

Thanks for the info guys. Will mix some in with the next batch of dough I make. I was also told that cinnamon powder and raisins mixed in adds to the attraction of dough. Might even give the pork/bacon a different flavour lol.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    Have fun my friend :guns:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    knock 'en dead
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Thanks for the info guys. Will mix some in with the next batch of dough I make. I was also told that cinnamon powder and raisins mixed in adds to the attraction of dough. Might even give the pork/bacon a different flavour lol.

Alec, there's a lot of ways to go about this. But I like Jeff's Idea of putting the sweet fruity smell in the trees. Can you buy sacks of grain there? I put 50 pounds of corn in a wash tub and cover it with water and add some yeast. Leave it in a warm place.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.