Home Main Category Personal Defense

CCW of choice for women

fade89awayfade89away New MemberPosts: 19 New Member
Just got my ccl hot off the press and am starting to look at guns to carry. My big question is what is recommended, what do you/the wifey carry? I'm not a big person, so I was thinking of leaning towards a compact .380 of sorts. Also, laser pointer a go or no go? Thanks!

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    .380 and 9mm compact pistols being relatively the same size, I'd give the 9mm the nod. Not much difference in recoil, either. Stronger ammunition availability for the 9mm as to defensive ammunition. Nothing wrong with a laser designator on a pistol especially in low/no light. Practice with both sights and laser and you'll be ready for what comes your way.

If you have a gun shop/range that rents pistols, try out a few and find what you like, what is comfortable to shoot, and most importantly, what you can hit the target with consistently. Pistol choice is a pretty personal choice for carrying. Pick the one that you shoot the best and practice shooting often and carry everywhere it's legal.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,989 Senior Member
    My wife liked a revolver because she didn't like to shoot and for her, an automatic had too many parts. Which may not be the case, but it was for her. She liked the point-and-pull feature without having to worry about safeties...this was pre-Glock days, but I'm sure a Glock would have freaked her out.

I've got a .380 Bodyguard and it's definitely smaller than a 9mm. But can't tell much difference in recoil, because there's more to hang on to with the 9mm. The .380 is a lot hotter than it was when I got my first one, 30 years ago.

I'm no fan of lasers on guns. At self-defense at bad-breath range, they're not necessary. I'd advise you take the money you save for not buying a taser and spend it on ammo.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    fade89away wrote: »
    Just got my ccl hot off the press and am starting to look at guns to carry. My big question is what is recommended, what do you/the wifey carry? I'm not a big person, so I was thinking of leaning towards a compact .380 of sorts. Also, laser pointer a go or no go? Thanks!

Go to a range that rents guns. Bring some cash and an open mind.

Shoot .380, 9mm, .40, .45 and decide what the most powerful caliber you shoot most comfortably. That's in the ballpark.

Make sure to shoot carry sized guns. Not full size guns unless you plan on handbag concealment.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,774 Senior Member
    Stop by your dad's. Try out all his guns. If you fine one you like...........bat your eyes, pooch out your lips, she'd a tear, and walk away with it. He won't resist.

Seriously, I think your mom has a G43 now. Try it out and go from there. Something along that size would probably work for you. Like the Kahr you used to have, I believe. There are several in that size by multiple makers.

I prefer to start my defensive cartridges at 9mm in autos and .357 Mag in revolvers.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    If she is comfortable with that size gun. Something similar in a lighter weight material with dimensions and ergonomics to her liking in 9mm and she should be good to go.
  • fade89awayfade89away New Member Posts: 19 New Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Stop by your dad's. Try out all his guns. If you fine one you like...........bat your eyes, pooch out your lips, she'd a tear, and walk away with it. He won't resist.

Seriously, I think your mom has a G43 now. Try it out and go from there. Something along that size would probably work for you. Like the Kahr you used to have, I believe. There are several in that size by multiple makers.

I prefer to start my defensive cartridges at 9mm in autos and .357 Mag in revolvers.

haha that's how I ended up with the Kahr in the first place! I do still have it and love it dearly, it's just far to big for me to carry on my person
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Go to a range that rents guns. Bring some cash and an open mind.

Shoot .380, 9mm, .40, .45 and decide what the most powerful caliber you shoot most comfortably. That's in the ballpark.

Make sure to shoot carry sized guns. Not full size guns unless you plan on handbag concealment.

Caliber isn't an issue, it's literally size more than anything else. I want to be able to carry on my person so being small framed is a huge challenge in the size department.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Well, my opinion is make a trip to NC and go raid somebody's gun safe (or maybe safes since he has been on a buying tear lately) and handle all of what he has ... make sure to really dig back in there to see what he has stashed! If it fits your hand nicely stack it up on his desk then raid his ammo stash and call Mr. Chuck (910-523-xxxx your Dad has him on Speed Dial I bet) at the gun club and shot 'em. Along with a couple of his other fun guns (a couple 1911s, a S&W 329, etc) even though you'd never carry them concealed :jester:

As to .380 vs 9mm just depends on the gun and that's why I like to say shoot 'em and try before you buy! I would rather shoot a M&P Shield 9mm that a little LCP in .380. I know he has a Glock 43 but don't think he has a S&W M&P Shield or Springfield XDS but those 2 in 9mm are pretty compact. The little S&W Bodyguard is a nice little .380 ... Glock 42 ... along with others I can't remember of hand. Find a range in Pepsicola/Ft Walton/Panama City that rents guns and try what they have in the current conceal carry offerings ... in addition to raiding Daddy's.

It does come down to your feel for your choice. I will say my wife stole my Sig P239 in 9mm some years back after trying most of mine and when I do bring something in she gives it a try but goes back to what she is comfortable (and shoots well) no matter what others say. The only gun she has come close to switching to is a Springfield EMP but doesn't feel comfortable with the thumb manual of arms of it ... yet.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    There is actually a big gun show in my area this weekend, so if there is something specific to look out for to get my hands on or something to stay away from, advice is welcomed!
    Caliber isn't an issue, it's literally size more than anything else. I want to be able to carry on my person so being small framed is a huge challenge in the size department.

Something like a S&W 340 M&P might well be perfect for you.

Small and lightweight, practice with .38 Spl target ammo and carry .357 Mag or hotter .38 Spl for defense. The sky is the limit with .38 and .357 ammo. Match it to your needs and recoil preference.

That at is really my vote for you. If size/performance/concealability is your concern.
    340MP357Mag8.jpg

357mag%20110gr%20SJHP%20at%207yrds%205_zpsdjn7e9pa.jpg
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,988 Senior Member
    I am a big fan of revolvers based on one of my clients history in trying to use a gun during a robbery. A jeweler friend of mine was being robbed, pulled out his semi auto out of a drawer and it went "click..." instead of "bang!" . I know you are familiar with guns but in the moment of need, you can really lose your focus, and the failure drill with a semi auto ( tap, rack, pull trigger again ) is more complicated than a revolver ( pull trigger again ).

I really like the Smith and Wesson 431 / 432 pd in .32 H&R magnum. It is a 6 shot, not 5 shot revolver and packs more punch than a .38 special. It used to be the FBI's recommended gun for female agents. You can practice with .32 S&W longs, and it shoots like a .22. With .32 H&R mag's it is a handful and plenty of power for a get off me gun.

wm_1801690.jpg

And here is the 432pd without an exposed hammer, a better pocket / purse gun, but doupble action only.

90584.jpg

Got one for the wife and love it. I prefer it for my pocket carry.

They are no longer made, but available on Gunbroker for around $500.00

IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member

I am not sure about the Kahr sizes but since your are comfortable with a K9 I think the PM9 polymer is smaller and definitely lighter than the all steel K9.
    Something like a S&W 340 M&P might well be perfect for you.

Small and lightweight, practice with .38 Spl target ammo and carry .357 Mag or hotter .38 Spl for defense. The sky is the limit with .38 and .357 ammo. Match it to your needs and recoil preference.

That at is really my vote for you. If size/performance/concealability is your concern.

Hmmm ... he might have inside info!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    This is my 431 pd:

1466DAB4-37C5-451D-B1C5-877FA65A32DA_zpsu8malqyw.jpg
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    FWIW. the 431 is selling for about $500, while the 340 is scandium and about $850. Both great guns.

D
    $618 with the Qualified Professional Discount you meet with your military service.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/411554712/redirect
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    There is actually a big gun show in my area this weekend, so if there is something specific to look out for to get my hands on or something to stay away from, advice is welcomed!

The local gun show is what I would stay away from. Most of the vendors at the local shows sell above retail prices. I've bought quite a few guns from Dan's and they have always beaten anyone elses prices. I recently picked up an LCP and I doubt that there is anything lighter or smaller besides a small .22 or .25. The indoor ranges in Navarre and Pensacola rent guns and Jay's in Milligan has a huge variety of rentals but it's kind of expensive to shoot there. Friday is ladies day at the range in Navarre and it's a little cheaper to go and rent a gun you'd like to try.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,096 Senior Member
    A lot of women have issues racking slides on semi-autos, and others - like my wife - just don't like flying brass. Thus she carries a .38/.357 Charter Arms revolver which she loves.

With that said, considering your Kahr, your mil background, and who your dad is, I don't think the above applies to you! Doesn't your dad carry a LAW? :tooth:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,357 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    She's got a nice Kahr K9 that I bought for myself and she claimed pretty much at the door when I got home. Great gun but all steel frame, not carry friendly for a petite female. BTW as mentioned in her intro thread by bream she is NOT recoil sensitive.

Then go for the Kahr P9 or CW9. Same gun as she has, poly frame for lighter weight. Hell, I think they all share the same magazines as well.

My wife's carry gun is a CW9. Good gun
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,357 Senior Member

Ah. Then go with the Kahr PM9. Smaller, lighter, same trigger, same operating system you are used to. Can use the K9 mags for higher cap backup magazines
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Ah. Then go with the Kahr PM9. Smaller, lighter, same trigger, same operating system you are used to. Can use the K9 mags for higher cap backup magazines

If you like the Kahr, this is an option as well.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,309 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I am a big fan of revolvers based on one of my clients history in trying to use a gun during a robbery. A jeweler friend of mine was being robbed, pulled out his semi auto out of a drawer and it went "click..." instead of "bang!" . I know you are familiar with guns but in the moment of need, you can really lose your focus, and the failure drill with a semi auto ( tap, rack, pull trigger again ) is more complicated than a revolver ( pull trigger again ).

I really like the Smith and Wesson 431 / 432 pd in .32 H&R magnum. It is a 6 shot, not 5 shot revolver and packs more punch than a .38 special. It used to be the FBI's recommended gun for female agents. You can practice with .32 S&W longs, and it shoots like a .22. With .32 H&R mag's it is a handful and plenty of power for a get off me gun.

wm_1801690.jpg

And here is the 432pd without an exposed hammer, a better pocket / purse gun, but doupble action only.

90584.jpg

Got one for the wife and love it. I prefer it for my pocket carry.

They are no longer made, but available on Gunbroker for around $500.00

IMHO

D

That is my wife's carry gun. If you like a revolver give it some thought.

My choice to hand you would be a SW Shield in 9mm or the Glock 43 also a 9MM. I find the Shield easier to shoot, but the Glock easier to carry even though they are almost the exact same size.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,530 Senior Member
    J-frame vs. CM9

IMG_1138.jpg

and vs. XDs...

Comp2.jpg

A Glock 43 isn't that much different in size, either. Point is, if you can carry the J-frame, an autoloader that's flatter, easier to reload, and carries more ammo is available.
    Overkill is underrated.
    I was more addressing the weight issues with the mention of the Scandium J-Frame or other Airweights.

A Glock 43 isn't that much different in size, either. Point is, if you can carry the J-frame, an autoloader that's flatter, easier to reload, and carries more ammo is available.

My point is that a revolver is the easiest to use in a high stress situation. Unless you are going into harms way where you will need a bunch of rounds, five or six rounds should be plenty.

D
    I was more addressing the weight issues with the mention of the Scandium J-Frame or other Airweights.
    Gotcha. I'm not the one to talk about with weight. I do carry a steel full-sized handgun.
    Overkill is underrated.
    BigDanS wrote: »
    My point is that a revolver is the easiest to use in a high stress situation. Unless you are going into harms way where you will need a bunch of rounds, five or six rounds should be plenty.

D
    How is a Glock or XDs harder to use than a revolver? All are point and click interfaces.

The young lady knows how to run an autoloader. Under the stress of competition or instruction....
    Overkill is underrated.