Home Main Category Personal Defense

CCW of choice for women

Replies

• tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I didn't read all of the responses, so some of these opinions may have been stated.

Carry the largest gun you can easily conceal, and shoot well. It is not always best to carry the tiniest firearm. They are harder to shoot well, reload, clear, etc. Smaller "lady sized" chamberings tend to be poppy to shoot. My Kel-tec, and Bersa thunder, are both chambered in 380. They are also both harder to shoot well than any of my 9mms. So don't typecast yourself into a so called womens gun or chambering.

Choose a chambering you can afford to train with. Training with your firearm is imperative. If you choose to carry a .44mag, or a dessert eagle .50, and never shoot it, then who cares how "deadly" it is. If you carry a medium sized 9mm, and can shoot it lights out, then you are far more capable, and better armed, than with the biggest newest hand cannon.

Being a woman does not limit you in caliber choice. My wife is slight, and can shoot anything I own, though she does not care for the 44mag.
    Smaller hands may be a factor. Pick a firearm that is of quality, and fits your had well. You have trained with the resident shrub, so I know you have been taught the value of a proper grip. A single stack may trump capacity. Sometimes compromises are needed.

Dress around the firearm. Too many people want to be too trendy, and carry their little pee shooters, tucked away into some nether region, because that is all they can make work with their ensemble. Go the other way if possible. Choose a firearm, then figure out how to conceal it. Sometimes carrying can be a little uncomfortable. Learn to deal with it. If funds allow you can have several options to choose from. I carry either a Kel-tec .380, Kahr PM9, Glock 26, or a Glock 19. I always carry the biggest my clothing will allow. This is usually the 19. I reserve the others for backup, or deep concealment.

It is my opinion, that any short comings(reliability) a semi auto has over a revolver, are easily remedied through proper training. I put a premium on capacity, and carry as much as I can.

My wife usually carries either a Kahr CM9, or a Glock 19.

Just my 2 cents

Hope this helps.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,980 Senior Member
    She's experienced so I will recommend an auto. Flat and easy to carry. I don't agree with dressing for your gun; but you have to a certain extent. I don't think one should look like you're carrying, like floppy shirts etc. Look like you're NOT carrying. Don't print and don't wear sweatshirts that say "The only thing I feel when I kill is recoil."

I think a .38 Special in a J-frame has a lot of recoil. More-so than a 9mm, and not as powerful. Not as easy to carry.

But you're experienced and go with what makes you feel good.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,667 Senior Member
    So when my wife wanted her CCW I said wonderful! I set her up with a family friend who was an NRA instructor and former police officer and she took the basic and advanced class. She made the decision on gun and method of carry that best suited her. (See a trend?;-)) She ended up with a Smith 642 air weight 38spec+p. She knew she could shoot it, very well might I add, and it is one layer of personal protection for her. This is her "active" running, hiking, yoga trip or any outdoor puttering rig. She is comfortable with it and is VERY territorial!

Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    A lot of women have issues racking slides on semi-autos, and others - like my wife - just don't like flying brass. Thus she carries a .38/.357 Charter Arms revolver which she loves.:

:that: My wife has the same problem due to a once broken wrist, She also carries a C.A. S/S .38/.357 , hers has a built in brake.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,988 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Nice!!!.... Wait, she gets a WHAT discount?!?!?!? Oh dad's going shopping!!! :tooth:

I know how much you love Glocks... but "G40 with MOS and a fastfire sight" .. nuff said!
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,312 Senior Member
    Kahr CM9 may prove to be more budget friendly if you like it.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,201 Senior Member
    Welcome Wambli's daughter! I learned early on that it's best that the females in my life pick their own carry guns, Currently my wife has two...a Ruger LC9 and a compact 1911. the LC9 gets the nod most days, but when traveling in higher threat environments, the .45 goes along. The .45 is also her bedside gun... When our daughter turned 21 I paid for her training and CPL, then gave her the money for her firearm...but the did the picking. As an interim firearm I opened up the gun safe and let her take her pick...and she promptly made off with my 3" Model 66 and a Ruger LCP...The 66 eventually came home...she replaced it with a Model 19 Combat Magnum
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,871 Senior Member
    My wife carries a xds but the Kimber micro that she just let me buy I think was her sneaky way of getting it for her. They make it in 9mm also so you might give that a look.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,162 Senior Member
    I cant offer any advice on what to get. Living over here puts me in the category of the kid with empty pockets and his nose pressed up against the candy shop window.

What I can tell you is that the best value for money is at DGS........................

Here is a link. I am sure you will find what you want/need there.......... http://forums.gunsandammo.com/member.php?8-Wambli-Ska

If they don't have it, I am sure they could get it in.........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,094 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    ...hers has a built in brake.
    My wife's does too - probably the same model.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • fade89awayfade89away New Member Posts: 19 New Member
    Sorry for taking so long to get back to everyone, had to deal with a good ol' cluster gaggle that was work today :bang: That s&w revolver that a couple of you recommended looks rather awesome, what would be the best way to carry that? Women's clothes don't understand what a real pocket is, so would that be better as an on the side/in a purse type of deal? And then on that note, what would be the best solution for carrying on person as well. I know there is a woman's tank top shirt that has this built in holster type thing. Is that even a realistic idea or not even worth looking into?
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,772 Senior Member
    I can't speak as to the tank top / bra / built into the shirt holster thing. Maybe Zorba can. (Ha! And just kidding)

But, depending on the shirts and jeans/shorts you wear, you can try inside the waist band appendix or kidney carry and test the comfort. If pants are too tight or shirts too short, you'll have to either consider outside the waistband belt carry with a longer shirt or off person carry in a hand bag of sorts.

I don't know your dress attire and that really dictates the carry method.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Look at the Flash Bang (a bra holster) and the Sticky holster(IWB)...my wife has tried both but prefers the latter...
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,030 Senior Member
    One that hasn't been mentioned, the P-64 in 9x18 Makarof. Similar to a PPK in size. Not expensive, around $250 or so. I use a sticky holster and slip in my pocket or waist band, comfortably. Other wise you can't go wrong with my other favorite, the S&W snubby!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,772 Senior Member
    As to the laser thing.

Not no. But, HELL no!!!!!

You live in "Sunny Florida", right? Try finding a laser on a target in bright sunlight. It ain't always easy and by the time you do (depending on shirts color and lighting) you could have put 2-3 round in the threat utilizing your front sight.

Trust me, I have lots of lasers. For rifle and handgun. I only use IR.

Piss on visible lasers.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,667 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    As to the laser thing.

Not no. But, HELL no!!!!!

You live in "Sunny Florida", right? Try finding a laser on a target in bright sunlight. It ain't always easy and by the time you do (depending on shirts color and lighting) you could have put 2-3 round in the threat utilizing your front sight.

Trust me, I have lots of lasers. For rifle and handgun. I only use IR.

Piss on visible lasers.
    :that:
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    FWIW, I carry a Glock G26 and my reload mags are G17 mags; the G17 mags stick out the bottom a good bit, but in a firefight for your life being fashion conscious isn't too important. :tooth: 10 rounds in the gun and 34 more in two spares. G26 is pretty compact, and more than easy to conceal, and it has decent sights. And since I ain't much bigger 'n' a squirrel, that concealment angle is pretty important.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    zorba wrote: »
    A lot of women have issues racking slides on semi-autos, and others - like my wife - just don't like flying brass. Thus she carries a .38/.357 Charter Arms revolver which she loves.

With that said, considering your Kahr, your mil background, and who your dad is, I don't think the above applies to you! Doesn't your dad carry a LAW? :tooth:

Most folks who "can't" run the slide on an auto are only suffering from a lack of instruction....by using both hands and opposing force pert near anyone ccan run the slide on any auto...
    Zee wrote: »
    I can't speak as to the tank top / bra / built into the shirt holster thing. Maybe Zorba can. (Ha! And just kidding)

Yea, yea! Myself, I'd be seriously tempted by a thigh holster. Now, maybe after I tried one I'd hate it... *shrug*

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,980 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Most folks who "can't" run the slide on an auto are only suffering from a lack of instruction....by using both hands and opposing force pert near anyone ccan run the slide on any auto...

Well, maybe not ANY auto. My Kahr was problematical in the early days when I first got it. It got better but it took several rounds...can't remember how many now. More than 50 IIRRC.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,545 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    She's got a nice Kahr K9 that I bought for myself and she claimed pretty much at the door when I got home. Great gun but all steel frame, not carry friendly for a petite female. BTW as mentioned in her intro thread by bream she is NOT recoil sensitive.
    Then problem solved, get the PM9.

That's also what the wife carries, small, and light and while there have been great strides in 380 ammo, a lot of those same strides have been made in 9mm ammo as well. I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue that the 380 is superior to the 9mm in performance
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,495 Senior Member
    fade89away wrote: »
    Sorry for taking so long to get back to everyone, had to deal with a good ol' cluster gaggle that was work today :bang: That s&w revolver that a couple of you recommended looks rather awesome, what would be the best way to carry that? Women's clothes don't understand what a real pocket is, so would that be better as an on the side/in a purse type of deal? And then on that note, what would be the best solution for carrying on person as well. I know there is a woman's tank top shirt that has this built in holster type thing. Is that even a realistic idea or not even worth looking into?
    A buddys wife who is a Doc, carrys a 380 in a flashbang bra holster. You have to have assets to make it work, without getting into "huge tracts of land". She likes it.

As to type, IMHO, get the best dads money can buy.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,495 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    To wear under your skirt/dress/ whatever?
    Dumb idea. Horribly slow (not to mention vulgar and disgusting) to lift your skirt and draw your weapon.
    Actually "Scuze me while I whip this out" would probably be as effective as racking a shotgun.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,252 Senior Member
    Men just don't ynderstand. My wife will NOT dress for the gun. So, for her to carry it every day we went small. Very small. A Kahr P380 with a Crimson Trace. Is it as accurate? NO! Is it as powerful? NO! Can she hit a pie plate at 7 yards? YES! Does she carry it evey day no matter what she wears? YES?

She carries it in a REmora at 1:00-2:00 o'clock........ Jeans, shorts, and dress pants. Unlike Zorba, she won't wear a skirt........

P1012025.jpg

You should try the laser for yourself. You don't have to use it in the daylight, but it's there if you have to shoot from an odd position.

If you want to shoot it, let me know. I could arrange it. There is an indoor range around here somewhere (I've never beeen)
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    My point is that a revolver is the easiest to use in a high stress situation. Unless you are going into harms way where you will need a bunch of rounds, five or six rounds should be plenty.

D

This whole subject is about going in harm's way. But then how many is enough rounds?

Being this is Wambli's daughter, I'm gonna say she can shoot and doesn't require a case of ammo to do away with a threat.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    To wear under your skirt/dress/ whatever?
    Dumb idea. Horribly slow (not to mention vulgar and disgusting) to lift your skirt and draw your weapon.

I would "think" that it could be pretty darn fast - but as I've never actually tried one, I honestly don't know. As for "vulgar and disgusting", if I had to deploy my weapon, I really wouldn't care at that point! We'll see what happens when I get to a free state and actually try various things - until then, this is all conjecture on my part.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Lift skirt, make sure said skirt is clear. This takes both hands. Once skirt is clear, then you have to move your right (assuming you're right handed)hand to the weapon, hoping your left is still keeping the skirt material clear. It's not even close to fast. You're also having to reach down to at least your knee to grab the bottom of the skirt. Economy of motion:it ain't there. By the time you simply grab the bottom of the skirt and start back up, I could have drawn and fired.
    And never in a million years would I have thought I'd be having this conversation with grown ass man.

In California, someone could probably pull it off but almost anywhere else on the planet a guy in a skirt/dress suddenly grabbing the hem and pulling it up would not go unnoticed and any bad guy that was threatening anyone would probably divert their attention to it.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,427 Senior Member
    Lift skirt, make sure said skirt is clear. This takes both hands. Once skirt is clear, then you have to move your right (assuming you're right handed)hand to the weapon, hoping your left is still keeping the skirt material clear. It's not even close to fast. You're also having to reach down to at least your knee to grab the bottom of the skirt. Economy of motion:it ain't there. By the time you simply grab the bottom of the skirt and start back up, I could have drawn and fired.
    And never in a million years would I have thought I'd be having this conversation with grown ass man.

Had some free time today, huh?
    Maybe CPJ is right, since I haven't tried it. I'd think that a sharp upward knee would allow my wrist to engage the hem as I slid my hand upward.

Now you've got me curious - some simulations are in order methinks!

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,843 Senior Member
    Klinger if you pull up your dress, any BG would run away screaming.