Home Main Category Hunting

Upcoming bow hunting dilemma

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,054 Senior Member
I just dropped my crossbow off to be re-cabled/strung since a number of cable strands were broken. However, two weeks ago I shot my sons compound bow and really enjoyed and shot fairly well. My issue with shooting a compound bow is I'm left eye dominate and I can't wink or close my left eye with my right eye open. I know it sounds silly but all I do is make funny faces trying.

I took a pair of safety glasses and taped off the left eye lens. Since my rotator cuff surgery back in 89 I haven't used a compound bow as I couldn't pull it back any longer, nor have I never used a peep sight and learned to shoot instinctively. Now for the funny part, I missed the target clean by a foot left at 25 yards on my first two shots. My son was yelling at me "where are you aiming"! Then he said are you looking through the peep sight. Oh yeah there's a peep sight. Once I figured out the peep sight I shot really well.

So I have two dilemmas; do I stay with my crossbow this fall or follow my gut and myself a nice low to medium cost ready to shoot compound bow including sights, quiver and peep sight and a black patch for my left eye. Part two of my dilemma is how to tell/convince momma I want a new bow after she bought me the compound bow.

Thoughts anyone, and if I do go with a compound bow, recommendations!
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    I would say shoot the loaner compound for a couple more weeks and see if you feel consistent using the peep. If you do and you want the satisfaction of killing a deer with a compound, then go buck up the cash for your own setup.

Personally, I love hunting with my compound bow, but also rotate the crossbow in for a change of pace, or when the conditions make it a more suitable choice (e.g. limited cover and/or tall grass that I can sit in and rise up from).
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 601 Senior Member
    Why not get a lefthanded bow?
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    Johnny reb wrote: »
    Why not get a lefthanded bow?

Great point, I'm not sure if I have the strength in my left arm to pull one back. Was going to head down to Cabelas and see if I can pull one back.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    Great point, I'm not sure if I have the strength in my left arm to pull one back. Was going to head down to Cabelas and see if I can pull one back.

This.....there is great personal satisfaction hunting with a compound / recurve IMO.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »

Jeff get one with a lighter pull and practice. My SIL tells me weight of pull isn't all that important. Get the heaviest one you can comfortably pull back.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Jeff get one with a lighter pull and practice. My SIL tells me weight of pull isn't all that important. Get the heaviest one you can comfortably pull back.

...and that is legal to hunt. Most states require at least ~40-45 lb. pull weight for legal bow hunting tackle. As long as you can get there and maintain respectable groups, you should be all set.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,710 Senior Member
    Get one of those spring chest exercise things, attach one end to a tree or wall and pull on it similar to drawing a bow, that can help.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Some compound bows can be adjusted to as low as 35 pound pull and back up to 70 pounds, ask the guy at Cabelas, he should be able to help you find one that will work for you.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs