In response, you grab your....

JeeperJeeper Senior MemberPosts: 2,952 Senior Member
Ok, get your minds out of the gutter... I assume that for most of us, when in town, we are almost definitely carrying a handgun, so two questions:

1) You hear a noise/critter/person breaking into your house, so you grab your rifle/shotgun/handgun.... list which of these you are most likely to grab, and list type/caliber. ie. Remington 870 12ga, or Kimber .45, or AR15 .300 blk, etc

2) Same idea, but this time you're going outside to investigate some disturbance in the yard/field/barn... again... rifle/shotgun/handgun... which one?

For me:

1) Glock 9mm or .40, or Kimber .45 whichever my hand lands on first.

2) used to be I would have grabbed my Remington 1100 12ga, but now it's an AR15 in .223 (hard to beat that 30 rnd capacity)

Luis
Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

Replies

• TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    The nightstand gun is my P220 .45.

Living in a townhouse in the city, there is no outside scenario that I prepare to respond to.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    The AR is first. Everywhere.

I do have skunk gun by the back door. A bolt action.22lr that I am confident handling ANY problems with.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    1) Ruger P-85 9mm, 15 round magazine.

2) Same, unless disturbance is awfully loud, then Remington 11-87 12 gauge.
    Support your local Scouts!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Depends on where I am in the house.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,095 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Either my baseball bat or tennis racket. Guns are scary!

Try a squirt pistol.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I don't investigate disturbances. I wait patiently for the disturbance to enter the fire zone.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Try a squirt pistol.

Oh Come on, he knows how to use a steam iron.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Try a squirt pistol

full of Habanero juice, ":angry::yikes::fan::popcorn:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,898 Senior Member
    Try a squirt pistol.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2127&d=1345341966
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    I'm with Zee and early.

"Noise/critter/person" breaking into the house - what I grab depends on where I'm at. There's guns all over the house.

Unless I see a trophy-class triceratops wandering around my back porch nibbling my Topsy-Turvy tomato plants, I'm not going outside for anything and neither is Juliet, Queen Of Dogs. I call NINE-ONE-ONE. They don't pay me enough to fight crime.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,491 Senior Member
    1) Doesn't matter if I'm up or asleep, the dogs will let me know, Charter Arms .44spc or 1911 ,45acp, which ever I grab first, than "loose the dogs of war"

2) Back yard, dogs first, Mossberg 18" bbl. # 4 buck. Front yard the Mossberg.

3) call 911

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,095 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    attachment.php?attachmentid=2127&d=1345341966

State of the art! :up:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,835 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Depends on where I am in the house.

Exactly
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    House trouble ... two legged kind ... whatever I grab first.
    Outbuilding trouble ... four legged kind ... a little carbine w/ light mounted. The dogs stay in the house because those 2 Labs are useless unless the problem has feathers.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    This. But assuming laste night and I'm in bed and noises are INSIDE the house the closest is my Glock 34 with light/laser combo. If the noises are outside I dial 911...

This, except mine is a .45 M&P with a mounted TLR-1s. If things escalate, Wife has her GP100 on her side and there's my 870 in the closet. If none of that works, I'll release the hounds and they'll yap the BG to death...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,668 Senior Member
    Person problem = AR

Critter problem = CZ 452 Ultra Lux
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    Ok, get your minds out of the gutter... I assume that for most of us, when in town, we are almost definitely carrying a handgun, so two questions:

1) You hear a noise/critter/person breaking into your house, so you grab your rifle/shotgun/handgun.... list which of these you are most likely to grab, and list type/caliber. ie. Remington 870 12ga, or Kimber .45, or AR15 .300 blk, etc

2) Same idea, but this time you're going outside to investigate some disturbance in the yard/field/barn... again... rifle/shotgun/handgun... which one?

For me:

1) Glock 9mm or .40, or Kimber .45 whichever my hand lands on first.

2) used to be I would have grabbed my Remington 1100 12ga, but now it's an AR15 in .223 (hard to beat that 30 rnd capacity)

Luis

My AR15. Hands down. No question. I'm not punching out into the living room area from the bedroom. The bedroom is our Alamo. We've got no kids yet to retrieve from elsewhere in the house.

Behind the bed, opposite the door, kneeling, just gun barrel and my eyes visible from the door. If someone breaches the door, they get as many rounds as it takes to stop them.

Woman will have my full size 9mm and the phone, calling the police.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,054 Senior Member
    I don't have a barn, but if I did and heard some noises coming from it, I'd call 911. (I do have a detached garage.) Never go into a situation where someone is lurking unless you're duty bound to do so. In my home, certainly I'd grab whatever is on my bedside table. But nothing in my garage or yard is worth my or someone else's life. Cops don't mind answering calls where there might be a burglar.

My guns on the bedside change often. No particular reason for doing so.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 344 Member
    toaster1.jpg
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,982 Senior Member
    Well, S&W model 13 or 686 revolvers........sometimes loaded with .38 Spl + P HP/FPs/ .357 XTPs other HPs and speed loaders for both........depends.

Front answer the door pistol near or in hand for suspicious knockers, slide in my pocket pistol P-64 9X18 Mak caliber loaded with XTPs.

Could change when I take a notion........other guns available. For my house and location I'm fine with my choices.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    Push the wife out of the bed and go back to sleep. Once she is stirred up, nothing is safe.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Gene L wrote: »
    Never go into a situation where someone is lurking unless you're duty bound to do so.
    Everything I have I gave up part of my life for. I am duty bound to protect it. I have a duty to myself, and my family to resolve the problem.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    Inside: M&P9 w/Streamlight TLR-1, and I'm barricading in my bedroom if able. Outside, if I can't see it out the window I call 911
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,054 Senior Member
    Everything I have I gave up part of my life for. I am duty bound to protect it. I have a duty to myself, and my family to resolve the problem.

Resolving the problem favorably doesn't mean going out into a dark barn to protect a roto-tiller. At least not for me. I'm not very bloodthirsty. My life or my family's life is worth protecting, my stuff in my garage isn't. That's why it's in the garage. If you kill someone trying to steal your lawnmower, you've bought a lot of trouble, maybe financial ruin.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Gene L wrote: »
    Resolving the problem favorably doesn't mean going out into a dark barn to protect a roto-tiller. At least not for me. I'm not very bloodthirsty. My life or my family's life is worth protecting, my stuff in my garage isn't. That's why it's in the garage. If you kill someone trying to steal your lawnmower, you've bought a lot of trouble, maybe financial ruin.
    Well response time in this area is about 40+ min. Where I grew up it was about a day. I am not bloodthirsty, but if you are trying to steal from me, you will run scared, you will wait for the police, or there will be a altercation. Up to you. If I let my stuff get taken, (stuff that took part of my life to acquire) the dirtbags will be back and they will be bolder. Happens all the time. Place gets robbed of a chainsaw, then a ATV, then a break in. I might not be home that time.

You choose your path. Mine works for me so far.
  • SargeSarge Member Posts: 324 Member
    If it's walking on two legs, either the Glock 19 or the 12ga, whichever I get to first - which is a good chance to be the Glock, as it's usually on the headboard. If it's a critter, depends on how big it is. 12ga or 30-06.
    Pain is okay. Puking is okay. Fear is okay. Falling is okay. Crawling is okay. Failure is okay. Quitting is not.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,260 Senior Member
    Glock 22, flashlight and spare mag all contained in the same package. Not a fan of weapon mounted light for home use as to use it, you need to sweep a person who may or may not be friendly. I've practiced and shot enough one handed or with a flashlight in the weak hand to feel comfortable. Will be shooting a night shoot this evening as a matter of fact. Think I'll use my 1911.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician