Home Main Category General Firearms

Gun Inspiration - What's your current?

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 25,796 Senior Member
Confession.

I'm sick of politics and drama. I'm sick of hearing about it. I'm sick of reading about it. I'm sick of fighting about it. Or, at least watching others fight. It's that year and time, I guess. But, it's succeeded in making the best forum on the net.......a less fun place to hang out.

I miss talking guns and more enjoyable things.

So, in the midst of this turmoil and chaos, what gun stuff do you find inspiration or peace and tranquility in?

Me?

I'm spending my "gun thought" time contemplating the new Glock I want to save up for. I've decided it will be a Gen4 G35 in .40 S&W that I will be getting a Lone Wolf threaded barrel for and installing a Bull Nose Compensator on the front.

In addition, I'm excited to be gaining a special gun in my life in the near future. A Browning Hi-Power that belongs to my father. It's the gun I first started shooting competition with as a teen. I've lusted after that gun for sentimental reasons ever since. He has decided that he wants to trade it to me for my G27 he wants to carry. Seemed a good trade to me. So, next time he drives out, he should be bringing it with him.

Inspiration!!!

So, in this trying and hectic time..........what is your "Gun Inspiration"? Keep in mind, this is not just about acquisitions. But, about what occupies your thoughts currently in regards to firearms.

Please tell me all hope for this "gun" forum is not lost on politics, gossip, and drama.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,192 Senior Member
    Walnut Stocks and taking care of them, for the first time in my hunting/firearms owning life I now have more Walnut stocked rifles than Synthetic, and I like that.
    It a good feeling wiping them down and just admiring a nice properly[in my mind] constructed Blued rifle with a walnut sock.
    I'm currently fitting a new pad and reoiling the 9.3 stock, great therapy.
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    For some reason, I'm still missing a good bolt gun in 5.56 or maybe .300BLK, just to be different. Purely to try and make one raggedy hole on the range. But it has to be affordable; I'm not an overpaid slimy contractor anymore...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    Here lately I have had a hankering for a 1895 Winchester in 30-06. A modern one or a browning 1895. I have a 71 Winchester that was made a few years ago. It will just flat shoot!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    I'm looking for a CZ variant, an alloy framed compact, made either by Tanfoglio or one of the Turkish renditions.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,256 Senior Member
    I'm inspired on two fronts. Many years ago I had a Weatherby Mark V style AAA grade Walnut stock built for my custom LH Win Model 70 .300 WSM. The issue was the stock builder used an aluminum bedding block. There was way to much slop in it and the rifle shoots 2.5 moa at 100 with 3-shots. In the McMillan fiberglass stock it shoots .5/.6 moa. Having the aluminum bedding block milled out a bit this week and my local smith is going to glass bed it for me. Decided I'm putting the .300 WSM in the wooden stock and taking if for this falls Wyoming buffalo hunt!

My second inspiration is a continuation from last year. I've decided to hunt with my new/old favorite rifle. I had my pops 1940's Win Model 94 .32 Win Special restored a few years ago after it sat in the attic for almost 25 years. BTW pops lived six blocks from the ocean. It was completely rusted shut inside and out. My smith did an amazing job restoring it. I've decided to hunt with it exclusively this fall for deer! I fell in love with it last year while taking it out on a few occasions.

Other than those, the Queen B (my 1960 Belguim Browning SA .22LR) has gotten a ton a action this summer. It's got to be one of the sexiest .22's ever built and just a pleasure to shoot!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    I like my AR15...I like it a lot, it's fun to shoot and all. Would really like an AR10 as well.

But what REALLY does it for me is shooting my lever gun. I think I might need another one! And I really NEED a revolver to compliment it. 45 Colt and I'm open to suggestions.

Anyway, my wife recently bought her first revolver and also wants a lever gun. We watched a cowboy action shooting competition on TV and that looked like more fun than skippin rocks!

Revolvers and lever guns are what I think about shooting, when I think about going to the range. 38 and 45 Colt is what I want to load, and what I want to shoot.
    A Ruger Vaquero is great revolver. If I was getting a single action it would be on the short list......(a real short list)
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Not so much a single gun at this point, but making the ones I have better. Getting scopes, stocks, triggers, etc.

I am also trying to complete a "minimum" collection for each of my kids. With another one the way, I guess I have a few more to buy.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,796 Senior Member
    I added to the OP that this doesn't necessarily mean acquisitions only. But, about what gun related stuff occupies your thoughts as well.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,887 Senior Member
    I'm preparing for an upcoming antelope hunt. Beyond that, though I have a few irons in the fire I mainly practice with my hunting rifles and SD pieces.

I am actually planning on shifting my efforts and funds towards travel and a career change.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,466 Senior Member
    Shooting, or lack there of, hunting is just around the corner and the kids have had zero trigger time this summer.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,190 Senior Member
    I got Frankenhowa and a target 6mm in the works. That, and some .430 SJS's in various actions happening. But it is summer, so summer projects have been getting in the way.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,638 Senior Member
    We're about recovered from the move and the flood, so I can actually start thinking about gun stuff again...Currently, I have a guy building a 20" .5.56/.223 upper and am looking for an action to build a heavy .223 bolt gun. (Everybody ought to have a .223 bolt gun and i find myself without one). With all the really nice rifles I own, at the moment, mastering my Sharps and High Wall is taking priority. In truth, once I have a modern rifle built and load development done I can stick it in the safe, knowing that it will be ready when i need it...the BPCRs onthe other hand, take a bit more effort to become competent with.

I'm having trouble finding more handguns to get interested in...My Vaquero collection is as complete as it needs to be. Plenty of 1911s in the safe...as well as some of those handguns I've always wanted....the only thing left would be some cap and ball revolvers I've always admired...Colts Dragoons, etc...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,796 Senior Member
    We've reached the hellaciously hot months of over 100 degrees in the daytime. Kinda saps the fun out of going to the range.

So, it's daydreaming and playing in the cave to stay sane.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Waiting, (IM)patiently for my birthday acquisition to get shipped in. Will post officially about it when I can post the prerequisite pictures. It fills the .357 gap that I have for hiking. Pretty excited to get it "in hand". Did I mention that I am waiting?
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Getting my milling machine vise squeaky clean and aligned to within 0.0001-0.0005 inches to start milling the SIX 80% composite AR 15 receivers I have purchased, and 2 aluminum billet ones incoming. I got the parts on hand to complete 5 lowers and 3 complete uppers that I've had squirreled away for a while now. Something to do while waiting for the madness to either end or consume the world. :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,700 Senior Member
    I have the majority of guns I desire at the moment. What I have not done is shoot the rifles. I just ordered more ammo this morning and will be spending more time at the range shooting the .223 bolt gun, .223 scout pistol and I ne3d to re zero the scope on the .357 mag tennmike single shot rifle.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,763 Senior Member
    The 1911 is my metallic teddy bear / security blanket. Designed by a genius with assistance from warriors, with no accountants and lawyers allowed into the party, selected in an ungovernmentlike rational process of testing and selecting the best tool for the job. It's not just a confidence-inspiring weapon to be behind, it's an example that government can occasionally manage to do something right.

The leading military bolt actions of 1891 to 1945 inspire much the same confidence - can't hardly break 'em, can reach a long way with 'em, take any game on earth with -em, post-shooting maintenance is mostly no-brains involved, and they stress the one hit over the large pile of pointlessly emptied brass. I cannot dredge that warm fuzzy feeling from any autoloading long gun.

Over the last couple years, I've been becoming a DA revolver practitioner. The Smiths & Rugers are solid little anvils, and much like the bolt actions of old, they're about stressing the good hit on target. Those great big box magazines? A great accessory for those who plan to miss.

Bullet casting: Handloading other people's bullets taught me a lot about those above-mentioned tools. Working with various bullet alloys and making the measurements to really make them sing takes the understanding even deeper. Example #1, I did a lengthy science project a couple years ago to see just how ridiculous a meplat I could feed thorough 1911 - lotta light bulbs came on in witnessing previously unforeseen aspects of how the gun runs. Example #2, being able to shoot the truly archaic items that you can't go out and buy a Sierra Matchking for - very neat!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,887 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    We've reached the hellaciously hot months of over 100 degrees in the daytime. Kinda saps the fun out of going to the range.

So, it's daydreaming and playing in the cave to stay sane.

Same here. Combine that with miserable humidity and a 1.5 hr drive and it takes a bit of a pep talk for me to head to the rifle range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,995 Senior Member
    I have 2 rifles I never finished when I retired, I'm restocking a small ring M-98 Mauser, when I had my shop I did a lot of extensive metal work on the action, barreled and chambered it for the 7x57AI, just finished inletting the stock and pillar bedded it front and back and 2 1/2" of the barrel with Devcon, just put the first coat of oil on it. Once I finish the stock I have about 80 fire formed cases to work up loads.

When if finish the Mauser ,I have a M-70 in .280AI I have to re stock.

I'm not buying any more guns unless something special comes along, like an old M-71 or 64 Win. in fact I have sold off several already.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Mostly it is designing and redesigning my reloading room in my head. I have a 12'x20'ish single car garage that I removed the overhead door and built a wall. This will be my cave once I finish the inside. I have planned it out at least a dozen different ways.

A .223 bolt gun is definitely on the short list, I think the H&R .223 will go away. As great as it CAN shoot, it will only do that when cradled just so. Get excited and the bullet might end up 3" away.

That and I have two Savage projects to pillar and glass bed. One I have never fired, maybe I should do that BEFORE I fire up the drill press.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,962 Senior Member
    When the next zombie jug explodes from a well placed .327 sent down range; and will it be manyana
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,255 Senior Member
    Getting ready to head up to Wisconsin next week, for a month or so. Part of my annual effort to get re-cheesed! I'll be at the all the usual gun shops looking for the rare piece I can't live with out, and will generate a plethora of you sucks and I hate you's from my forum friends. I do have a standard to maintain!!
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,995 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Getting ready to head up to Wisconsin next week, for a month or so. Part of my annual effort to get re-cheesed! I'll be at the all the usual gun shops looking for the rare piece I can't live with out, and will generate a plethora of you sucks and I hate you's from my forum friends. I do have a standard to maintain!!

OK if that's what ya want, :yousuck: and I hate you in advance

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    I always look for nice grips to add to the collection.
    Just something I like.
    I Can't afford much for guns anyway

These showed up Saturday

c35c9a1d-f9e7-417d-9a85-29adab30e068_zps07ydqxjl.jpg
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,660 Senior Member
    Some of you need to get into local rifle comp.

To hot? Pfft

What could be more fun than on a 95F 87% humidity day then putting on a sweat shirt under a heavily padded coat that smells like two goats had carnal knowledge of a sheep and a glove like a mukluk on your left hand just so you can cut all of the blood off to that paw all while standing and laying in the sun.

To the OP..

I dunno. I think I want to do a pig hunt again the year after next and the antelope is still running through my brain, however now that optics are legal for service rifle, old guys can be competitive, so that means a A4 upper or at least a fixed 4 with enough adjustment to shoot across the course.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Probably. At least one. So I'm out of the closet, bite me...

And I wish you many more Glocks in your future. Just wish me one! Please?:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    I like my AR15...I like it a lot, it's fun to shoot and all. Would really like an AR10 as well.

But what REALLY does it for me is shooting my lever gun. I think I might need another one! And I really NEED a revolver to compliment it. 45 Colt and I'm open to suggestions.

Anyway, my wife recently bought her first revolver and also wants a lever gun. We watched a cowboy action shooting competition on TV and that looked like more fun than skippin rocks!

Revolvers and lever guns are what I think about shooting, when I think about going to the range. 38 and 45 Colt is what I want to load, and what I want to shoot.

Think about what it costs to get into cowboy shooting. In the area of 5K to get started is what it cost me. Rifle, 1500, 2 Vaqueros, 1500, Coach gun, 500 (plus a couple hundred for gunsmithing), Holster and shotgun shell holders, around 500, I splurged on a cart, another 500, boots, hat, suspenders probably 250. That's just to get you started. There will be more stuff you'll want as time goes on. SASS membership, local club membership, cool bone or antler handled knife and so on and so on.

That said, it's a lot of fun. There are some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet and some of the craziest too. It's a lot tougher than it looks. My goal is to get into the 25 second and below per stage this yr. Not sure if it will happen, I think my best so far is around 30. We have a few guys that do it in 10. Can't see me ever getting that good. I've been doing to many other types of competitions and since I enjoy them all, I don't see me getting great at any. Rimfire speed matches probably hold the most promise since I'm improving in it more than others but I'll still only get local good. When I shoot big matches and see how good others are, well, I see my limits.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,613 Senior Member
    Great thread!

I've been back and forth. I was all hot to trot over a Finnish Lahti I found, hoping it was still going to be around when my gun fund recharges in September. It would have demolished the entire gun fund, so I was going to belay the Optima V2 pistol purchase until next year.

Then....

A group buy came up for a "Sturdy" gunsafe. I think I can do the safe AND the Optima this year, the Lahti will just have to go - or wait until next year.

I can make a long day road trip and drive down to pick up the safe, which will save me $150-ish in shipping charges and I can visit a seldom seen dance sister while I'm there as the safe is made right in her town!

Other than that, range practice!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    I dream about a dillion progressive press putting 500+ rds an hour as I plug along with my lee, lucky to get 75 an hour. I could shoot so much more.

I dream about the sub 1 second club, 5 shots, 3 target under 1 second with a .22 pistol.

I dream about a 1st place finish, just once. Had a couple 2nds, close but no cigar.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    I have a handshake deal (over the phone) with a landowner I've never met, for year-round hunting rights on a wooded 200 acre tract. I'm waiting to get the 'contract' and a key to the gate. If it works out, I will be inspired.

I'm tapering off on the politics - I've worried about it for the last 40 years, and convinced no one, and have been convinced by no one.