Jaguarondi Sighting, Probably

woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior MemberPosts: 2,725 Senior Member
Won't say so for sure because I didn't get more than about a 2 second look at the cat, but about 90%+ sure that I saw a Jaguarondi several mornings ago a mile or so from my place here in "Nawth Fladah". We have them in Florida, releases from British Honduras back in the late 50's-early 60's, but these are a very secretive cat and are very rarely seen. People who swear up one side and down the other that they've seen a BLACK PANTHER possibly did see a Jaguarondi which is dark pencil grey (usually), has a long tail and is roughly about 1/3rd the size of a panther. I had a long, good look at one years ago while cruising timber not far away.

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,225 Senior Member
    Neat to hear that they still survive. I spent years hunting in the NV high country and never saw so much as one cougar, let alone something as rare as this.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 78 Member

neat looking critter!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,551 Senior Member
    I saw some kind of large, long-tailed cat from a deer blind, a couple of years ago. Like you said, it was gone so quick I couldn't identify it, but I didn't see another living thing, all morning, so I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine it. It was at low light dawn, so I couldn't discern color.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    These cats are most probably in much of eastern and southern Texas. I bid (and lost) on an inventory of Jags at the Kingsville Naval Air Station. Many years ago....back in the early 80's.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,258 Senior Member
    In the late 80's or maybe early 90's I was returning home from a late night wrecker call when something long, slinky, and definitely feline-looking crossed the road in my headlights, headed into one of my pastures. It definitely was NOT a bobcat- - - -the tail was almost as long as the body. Big cats are not commonly seen in south central Tennessee, so this one was probably channeling "Mr. Natural".

mr+natural2.jpg

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,528 Senior Member
    That is really neat. We got a glimpse of a Florida Panther on the Loxahatchee refuge while fishing a couple years ago, but a Jaguarondi is so rare, I had not met anyone that claims to have seen one before. And that includes several of the biologists that work the Florida refuges.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,762 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    That is really neat. We got a glimpse of a Florida Panther on the Loxahatchee refuge while fishing a couple years ago, but a Jaguarondi is so rare, I had not met anyone that claims to have seen one before. And that includes several of the biologists that work the Florida refuges.

Unless it's a California mountain lion that sees bipeds as a food source, seeing any cat in the wild is sort of rare in the states. Then tend to see you first and stay hidden, and leave when you aren't looking. Bobcats being more numerous is the reason they are seen so often. But in the woods where you KNOW they are around sighting one isn't easy at all. They're quiet critters.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,258 Senior Member
    I hear that quite a few cougars have been spotted around Florida retirement communities. They have a tendency to spend their late husbands' retirement nest eggs and prey on younger males of the species!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,489 Senior Member
    A year or so ago Jen and I saw one while fishing in the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge, we reported it to the rangers and thought they would think I'm nuts, instead they asked where and told us that there are a few living on the refuge.

Woods, I think they were released earlier than that, cause I saw one that a hunter shot about 1953-54, It was hanging at Monroe Station. The GW told us what it was, since them I have heard of sightings around S. and Central Fla.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,762 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I hear that quite a few cougars have been spotted around Florida retirement communities. They have a tendency to spend their late husbands' retirement nest eggs and prey on younger males of the species!
    Jerry

And a few have been caught mating at night in the bushes around those retirement communities. :rotflmao:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    And a few have been caught mating at night in the bushes around those retirement communities. :rotflmao:
    Got to be careful around Wildwood FL. One of my salesmen was propositioned at a local bar there one night.

I was asked to dance by a not so old cougar myself down there, once. And I would have definitely danced, but you know.... Wife. If I was single however, forget the club scene with young ditzy dumb broke college girls. Give me a 60 year old with a retirement account and a Mercedes in the garage.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,050 Senior Member
    You might get something Ajax won't take off...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    You might get something Ajax won't take off...
    Worth it, as long as I can work myself into the will.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    Texas is full of cats, bob cats, panthers, cougars, both fur and smooth skin. I've heard tell of more than a couple guys being eaten by smooth skin cougars.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,489 Senior Member
    SoBe is cougar central.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,225 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

That particular variety runs thick along the Las Vegas Strip.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Could have been released well back before the late 50's, because back then game laws weren't enforced or probably weren't any laws against releasing them. Look at the monkeys released in the Silver Springs area when Tarzan movies were filmed there back in the late 30's. Also at Wakulla Springs just below Tallahassee. These, however, were extirpated from the area by Ed Ball's direction (Du Pont Foundation Chair.).

But the major releases that are known to the Game Commission (I've read the archived reports) were by Ross Allen of Silver Springs fame. He had 30-32 captured alive in British Honduras (present day Belize, C.A.) in 1959 and released these along the Silver Springs area near Ocala. Then in 1961 or 62 he had an additional 30-32 trapped in B.H. and released these in the Gulf Hammock area just below Chiefland. It's from these releases that the Jags we have are credited.

I've worked a good bit in the Maya Mountains of Belize, C.A. helping to set up the "Thousand Foot Falls Natural Area". Belize has the highest Jaguar and Jaguarondi populations in the world. I never saw either of these cats, but did very frequently hear Jaguars sounding off just before dawn in the mornings. Some would be very close, like a hundred yards! The Mayan Indians that worked with me had no fear at all of them!