Home Main Category General Firearms

Yay or nay: 686-3 for $650

LanceLance MemberPosts: 149 Member
Stainless, with six inch barrel, original box, less than 100 rounds throught it.

Not really something I was looking for, but for the price...

Opinions?

Replies

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,600 Senior Member
    Yep. They're surely not getting any cheaper.

I LOVE my 686-3.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    What does the 3 mean? I've got its blue counterpoint the 586 but it's an 8 3/8" Barrel. I love it. Some would say that is too much barrel but I love mine for what I use it for. And the longer sight plain and being barrel heavy make it very accurate. I want to shoot a deer or hog with it someday. I would get that gun for that price.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • LanceLance Member Posts: 149 Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    Yep. They're surely not getting any cheaper.

I LOVE my 686-3.

Yeah, I'm grabbing it.

The condition of the gun and box are the most attractive part to me. 10/10 on both, and looks to be from the early '90s.
    snake284 wrote: »
    What does the 3 mean? I've got its blue counterpoint the 586 but it's an 8 3/8" Barrel. I love it. Some would say that is too much barrel but I love mine for what I use it for. And the longer sight plain and being barrel heavy make it very accurate. I want to shoot a deer or hog with it someday. I would get that gun for that price.

From what I've read, just denotes it was built after 1988.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,692 Senior Member
    Lance wrote: »
    More than that. Each dash number denotes a change from the original platform. The change depends on the model, year of production, etc.

-3 means they changed the yoke retention system on the 686.

As for the revolver: go for it. They ain't getting any less expensive.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Can't beat a 686, mine is no dash early one. Very accurate and the L frame S&W is about perfect for a .357, N is more than you need and K is not quite enough. Been shootin it for what, around 30 years now. That should attest to its durability.

Course, it seems high to me, but I'm stuck on 80s prices in my haid anyway.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,621 Senior Member
    Around here, it'd be a shot out, worn out, dirty, rusted, bubba'ed, and just an all around "Pile of" at THAT price point. A Smith for $650? GONE!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    Damn, I went from being indifferent to freaking out it won't be there tomorrow.

I obviously don't have to worry about resale value.

I'll be there at 9am, pics forthcoming
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,473 Senior Member
    Only 100 rnds? Pretty much LNIB? How much is brand new, if you are under that and you want it, then you should already be posting a picture.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,887 Senior Member
    That would be an average price around here. Not a steal, but not a rip-off either.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,193 Senior Member
    10 years ago, I would have been meh on the price. Since then, revolvers have gone up in price quite a bit. Those are good guns and I don't think you will ever lose on the financial side-- if you keep it in good shape, you should easily be able to get your money back and then some (so that makes it free).

Free gun! Buy it!!!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,351 Senior Member
    Stainless, with six inch barrel, original box, less than 100 rounds throught it.

Not really something I was looking for, but for the price...

Opinions?

Not for me, but a great revolver. Not sure how you could tell 100 rounds shot through it. If you want a 686 and are willing to pay a premium price, not a great deal but not an awful ripoff. If it's a pinned barrel and you are investing in a collectible revolver, that's one thing, but if you're buying a shooter, that's a horse of a different color entirely.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    If you want a 686 and are willing to pay a premium price, not a great deal but not an awful ripoff. If it's a pinned barrel and you are investing in a collectible revolver, that's one thing, but if you're buying a shooter, that's a horse of a different color entirely.

That's by no means a premium price anymore. Five or six years ago it might have been but right now there are over 400 686's listed on gunbroker and the majority seem to be in the 700.00 range. There are even a couple of people trying to get over 1200.00 for a pre lock model like the -3. As other's have said, that's a fair price regardless of weather it's going to be a shooter or a collectible.
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    The 686 never had a pinned barrel. It was introduced after that feature was dropped.

But the -3 has some pluses going for it:
    -No ignition lock
    -Forged internals, no MIM
    -Hammer-mounted firing pin, not floating in the frame with a transfer bar.

It's a "proper" Smith from the post-pinning days. Hammer and trigger are still flash-chromed, not case-hardened. Frame's not drilled and tapped from the factory, which was started with the -4, but the -4 also had the case-hardened hammer and trigger. Some don't like the case-hardening as it doesn't match as well. Oh, and the also had the older style cylinder latch.
    Overkill is underrated.
    I wouldn't mind having a 681 with 4" bbl, a fixed sight version of the 686 or a 686 with the 8 3/8" (?) either if the price was right.............but I sorta have the 4" bbl niche filled with my model 13 Nickel .357 albeit it is on a K frame and I have a model 14 .38 spl that looks like a 586 with its underlug.

Didn't they make a .44 Spl 5 shot revolver on the L frame?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

I bought my 586 NIB in 1983 for right at $300.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    cpj wrote: »
    For sure a good price here. IF you even see a Smith, you can add a Benjamin or two to that price.
    Same here. About a year ago someone was selling a 586 with pits on the cylinder for about the price of the OP's handgun.

And it sold!
    Overkill is underrated.
    I bought my 586 NIB in 1983 for right at $300.

Yep, mine a 6" 686 was carried 2 weeks by a deputy sheriff who traded it in on a 4" model LNIB. Think it was $250.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,621 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Yep, mine a 6" 686 was carried 2 weeks by a deputy sheriff who traded it in on a 4" model LNIB. Think it was $250.

And he only shot it on Sundays.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,705 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    For sure a good price here. IF you even see a Smith, you can add a Benjamin or two to that price.

That is exactly what I was going to say. More often than not closer to the or two side.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    They are arguably the high mark of revolver design. I've never fired a 6 incher but my 4 inch is as close to the pefect tool as it gets.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    zorba wrote: »
    And he only shot it on Sundays.

Well I dunno when he fired it, but do know he didn't have it very long because one of my brothers owned/managed the hardware store that sold guns he bought it from and took it back in on trade and sold him the 4" model. Not that he didn't like it, but it was cumbersome to carry as a duty revolver and made it uncomfortable in his vehicle on a duty belt.

So it worked out well for me.

686 is a fine revolver all the way around.
    Oh if I ever sell it maybe I'll say it "Belonged To Jesse James's great great grandson...." and say that was passed down by word of mouth from good sources, no Provenance
    and ask $2500 fer it and advertise it as pre-lock, no dash and Historical.................:jester:

Looks like an OK price considering what others are asking, which is 30-40% over priced to me as most "Vintage" S&W are these days.
    UPDATE: Didn't get back there until late Friday, already sold.

But it really is my fault for not taking my lazy ass to the ATM. TBH, I'm just not that into .357.

For the StL folks here, the shop is Mike's Guns in St. Charles, mostly a consignment shop, but he has an eye for quality and fair pricing.
    Also for StL posters, Cabela's used rifle rack was very interesting today. Counted three Ruger # 1's, and a beautiful Marlin in 45-70 that looked brand new for $660
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,193 Senior Member
    Counted three Ruger # 1's, and a beautiful Marlin in 45-70 that looked brand new for $660
    If those #1's were going for $660, they were worth it. You can't buy a new one for almost twice that now.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    If those #1's were going for $660, they were worth it. You can't buy a new one for almost twice that now.

No, the Marlin is $660, the Rugers were 700-999, the most expensive being a .243 with a Leupold VX. All of them looked mint though.
    No, the Marlin is $660, the Rugers were 700-999, the most expensive being a .243 with a Leupold VX. All of them looked mint though.

S&W L frames are fantastic. Like I said, mine is the blued version, the Original 586 and is solid as a rock. I bought it in '83 for $300. I am no hand gun expert or real accurate with them, but this one I can shoot. I had a Hiway Patrolman friend polish it out real smooth when I first had it. It lowered the double action pull about a good one third and the trigger on single action is crips as a fresh Lay's Potato Chip. It is just so sweet. And I've got a friend that has a 6" just like it that's never been worked over and it's even more accurate. L frames are like Early said, the high point of revolver evolution. Send one to a custom shop and it will rival the Python any day.