Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

"Religion is the cause of most wars."

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,561 Senior Member
Hmmm....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rabbi-alan-lurie/is-religion-the-cause-of-_b_1400766.html

In their recently published book, “Encyclopedia of Wars,” authors Charles Phillips and Alan Axelrod document the history of recorded warfare, and from their list of 1763 wars only 123 have been classified to involve a religious cause, accounting for less than 7 percent of all wars and less than 2 percent of all people killed in warfare.

Some feel a war is a robbery writ large. Might be more accurate.
Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    I really like the line that he wrote, "As one who reads the Bible for spiritual truths, not historical facts..." That is a crystal clear way to explain what I hope people will do with the Bible.

But anyway, he is right. Most wars are quite simply humans competing for resources. Religion, like "race" and ethnicity is typically used as an excuse to treat others like crap.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Pretty good article as to laying out some actual facts. Resources, or lack thereof, has been a driver of many wars. And greed for territory. My late uncle put it as well as I've ever heard it. He was in the Navy in WWII in the Pacific. He said that the Japanese only wanted the land that bordered them. Think about that for a minute. That would be all the land surface of the Earth. That was as good an excuse for the old USSR to swallow all the small countries at their borders; to provide a buffer against the West that didn't give a rat's crusty butt about them to start with, and were tired of war.

As to the present conflict the West finds itself embroiled in, it is definitely religious in nature, but the practitioners are both robbers, rapists, and sex slave traders for fun and profit. But the real aim is the subjugation of all to the religion of Islam. Won't happen, but that's the stated aim. WHY it won't happen is that the Shia and Sunni will continuously fight each other. Theological differences, dontcha know.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Pretty good article as to laying out some actual facts. Resources, or lack thereof, has been a driver of many wars. And greed for territory. My late uncle put it as well as I've ever heard it. He was in the Navy in WWII in the Pacific. He said that the Japanese only wanted the land that bordered them. Think about that for a minute. That would be all the land surface of the Earth. That was as good an excuse for the old USSR to swallow all the small countries at their borders; to provide a buffer against the West that didn't give a rat's crusty butt about them to start with, and were tired of war.

As to the present conflict the West finds itself embroiled in, it is definitely religious in nature, but the practitioners are both robbers, rapists, and sex slave traders for fun and profit. But the real aim is the subjugation of all to the religion of Islam. Won't happen, but that's the stated aim. WHY it won't happen is that the Shia and Sunni will continuously fight each other. Theological differences, dontcha know.

That blackened part hit it on the head. I've worked in Muslim countries and I have heard both Shia and Sunnie tell me negative things about each other. One guy, Wael, told me he had problems at work because he was Shia and the bosses were all Sunnis. They are natural enemies even though they try to hide that fact from the Western world.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.