Prayers needed

Replies

• pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,089 Senior Member
    Prayers sent for you and your family!
    Patrick
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,690 Senior Member
    Sorry for such a rough diagnosis. Prayers sent........robin :angel2:
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,475 Senior Member
    :angel2: For comfort and peace.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Prayers from here.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    Prayers sent for Steve!! :angel2::angel2::angel2::angel2::angel2:
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,767 Senior Member
    Prayers on their way from down here MHS.

Like Wambli, I also have personal experience of what you are going through. One of my cousins was admitted with the same problem yrs ago and we were told he wouldn't make it. He pulled through and survived another 14 years before leaving us.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,900 Senior Member
    :angel2:
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,962 Senior Member
    Prayers out.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I don't know how I missed this. Wow this one hits hard, I always liked your brother and I remember him telling me on PM he had this under control when he asked to rejoin the Forum. I'm really bummed out, was wondering why he had not been around on a while. We almost lost a young family member for exactly the same reason just a few years ago. Doctors told us 60% chance they would not make it out of the hospital and thank God they were wrong. Well miracles do happen. Hope this is one of them. Please tell him I'm praying hard for him.

It was better for a while. Actually things were going very well, damage had already been done by that point and these problems likely would have came up, just down the road. But, add in a toxic person he should have stayed away from, losing a job he really liked and being out of work for 6 months, then that toxic person leaving, and debt piling up, it was just a perfect storm that drove him back into the bottle, HARD. The death blow came in the last few months of drinking harder then he ever had. He was hospitalized a few weeks ago while at work for severe dehydration, and that is when they discovered a LOT of damage and problems. Thought we still had a little time to turn things around, but he went in for a check up Tuesday and he was sent from clinic to ER to ICU. As of now, the staff is mostly sure he won't be leaving that ICU room. Although they did give us some info on home care options, so its bouncing from hours, to days, to weeks. Hard to get an answer.
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 20,823 Senior Member
    :angel::angel2::angel:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Medicine is nothing but educated guesswork. Outcomes they do not predict are labeled miracles. We were sure our family member was a goner and yet the outcome has been vastly different. A medical opinion is only good at the time it's given and expires quickly, things change every day. I'll continue praying for your brother.

Yea, always have to keep in mind they call it "practicing" medicine, not performing.
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,248 Senior Member
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,560 Senior Member
    :I hope he proves the doctors wrong:angel2
    A few updates:

Steve was more alert today. I went to see him after work, by myself this time. It was just awkward and weird with my parents there. I think we both enjoyed sharing a few jokes and stories on our own.

His prognosis, has declined. We are expecting 2 or 3 days at most. He is stage 4 kidney failure. We are still holding out hope for some recovery, but we are also making final arrangements. If by a miracle his functions improve, he might have enough time to get on dialysis.

He is uncomfortable, due to the adema, and being hooked up to what seems like a dozen machines, but he said he isn't in any real pain. His function is so poor that they cannot even give him aspirin or a sedative for fear of a total shut down, so i am so thankful he is not in pain.

The encephalopathy is mild, and only causing some mild confusion, and still some denial. But he's in generally good spirits. Knowing you guys sent your prayers made him happy, this group, and so many of you personally, meant a lot to him. We talk about you guys like you were friends or family down the street.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. It never ceases to amaze me how different this little stop on the Internet is. Its not just a message board, and its not just anonymous names without faces.
    I'm truly sorry to read this, but like you say, at least he's more or less comfortable. Prayers outbound. :angel::angel2::angel:

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    I am so, so sorry to hear this Dan. When my grandmother died, Steve and I had several page long PMs back and forth and conversation with him really helped me get through that time. Prayers, hope, and kind thoughts inbound.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    More :angel2: :angel2: sent your way.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,587 Senior Member
    A few updates:

Steve was more alert today. I went to see him after work, by myself this time. It was just awkward and weird with my parents there. I think we both enjoyed sharing a few jokes and stories on our own.

His prognosis, has declined. We are expecting 2 or 3 days at most. He is stage 4 kidney failure. We are still holding out hope for some recovery, but we are also making final arrangements. If by a miracle his functions improve, he might have enough time to get on dialysis.

He is uncomfortable, due to the adema, and being hooked up to what seems like a dozen machines, but he said he isn't in any real pain. His function is so poor that they cannot even give him aspirin or a sedative for fear of a total shut down, so i am so thankful he is not in pain.

The encephalopathy is mild, and only causing some mild confusion, and still some denial. But he's in generally good spirits. Knowing you guys sent your prayers made him happy, this group, and so many of you personally, meant a lot to him. We talk about you guys like you were friends or family down the street.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. It never ceases to amaze me how different this little stop on the Internet is. Its not just a message board, and its not just anonymous names without faces.

Amen to that. It feels like you know that people that you have never met more than some people you see every day. Please send Steve my best. It really pains me to hear that prognosis.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I always enjoyed chatting with him. He made me laugh. Hoping for the best, and praying for comfort if the worst outcome is realized.
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 479 Member
    Sorry to hear this about your brother Dan. Wishing you, him and your families the best at this tough time.:angel2:
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Most hospitals have hospice care rooms that are large enough for family to gather. Patient is kept comfortable and the family well attended to. Just a thought. Can't offer much in the way of encouragement knowing what I know. But I've helped many a patient and their families in these last days and hours, and often the hospital is more comfortable than someone's home. Already set up. Just something to consider.

Family is everything at this time.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,521 Senior Member
    Man, I sure missed this thread.
    Dan, so, so sorry to hear this. I always enjoyed Steve on here, smart, no bs.
    Prayers out to all of you.
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    Still sending knee mail for Steve!! :angel2::angel2:
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
    Most hospitals have hospice care rooms that are large enough for family to gather. Patient is kept comfortable and the family well attended to. Just a thought. Can't offer much in the way of encouragement knowing what I know. But I've helped many a patient and their families in these last days and hours, and often the hospital is more comfortable than someone's home. Already set up. Just something to consider.

Family is everything at this time.

Thanks Dan. That is what Steve and the family settled on, he will stay at St Antony and he is already on the long term/hospice floor there. They have him off all machines except oxygen, and have him on oxy and antibiotics for now. When we find out if he gets admitted to the hospice program, we will stop the antibiotics.
    Thanks Dan. That is what Steve and the family settled on, he will stay at St Antony and he is already on the long term/hospice floor there. They have him off all machines except oxygen, and have him on oxy and antibiotics for now. When we find out if he gets admitted to the hospice program, we will stop the antibiotics.

I'm truly sorry to hear this - I know what a heartbreaking decision this is. :group:

• drsfefadrsfefa Member Posts: 407 Member
    Prayers continuing.
    Responsible CCW is a lifetime commitment to Avoidance, Deterrence, and De-Escalation.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,372 Senior Member
    Dan, sorry the prognosis is not incouraging. Is he receiving visitors? I'm in town for the day on my way back from my dads. I'd be happy to stop in and say hello. I'll pm my cell if you want to get hold of me.
    Prayers to Steve and family.

Sako
    sakodude wrote: »
    Dan, sorry the prognosis is not incouraging. Is he receiving visitors? I'm in town for the day on my way back from my dads. I'd be happy to stop in and say hello. I'll pm my cell if you want to get hold of me.
    Prayers to Steve and family.

Sako

He has visitors every day. Might have to remind him who you are but once that clicks he'd probably be happy to see some G&A people. The St Anthony North is the new one across the highway from Cabela's. I'll send you a text shortly with the room number, I still have your cell saved. I have to go in to work for a little bit here soon, but I'll be at the hospital this afternoon
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,038 Senior Member
    He has visitors every day. Might have to remind him who you are but once that clicks he'd probably be happy to see some G&A people. The St Anthony North is the new one across the highway from Cabela's. I'll send you a text shortly with the room number, I still have your cell saved. I have to go in to work for a little bit here soon, but I'll be at the hospital this afternoon

Just tell Steve he's loved on this forum. He's a very bright guy that loves his guns and I for one miss his Hilarious sarcasm AND his very intelligent input here. Your brother is one of a kind and added tremendously to this forum.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.