Home Main Category General Firearms

Let's talk 1911's

2»

Replies

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,964 Senior Member
    I have a mid level SA, and it's jammed once since i got it 1 1/2 years ago. It's got dot sights, but otherwise is a GI model. I paid around $700 IIRC. It works much better than I work.

It's similar to optics: is a $1000 Zeiss better than a $250 Burris? Hands down yes! But.....the question is do you need a $1000 Zeiss? For most of us: no.

I don't see myself paying over 1K for any pistol, with the exception of a Belgian Hi-Power.

JMHO
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,613 Senior Member
    If I hit the lotto it would be hit or miss on whether or not anybody ever saw me again...

Pretty much!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    bellcat wrote: »
    I have a mid level SA, and it's jammed once since i got it 1 1/2 years ago. It's got dot sights, but otherwise is a GI model. I paid around $700 IIRC. It works much better than I work.

It's similar to optics: is a $1000 Zeiss better than a $250 Burris? Hands down yes! But.....the question is do you need a $1000 Zeiss? For most of us: no.

I don't see myself paying over 1K for any pistol, with the exception of a Belgian Hi-Power.

JMHO

Keep you eyes peeled................

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=f1fnhpmk3
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,347 Senior Member
    I'm not a fanboy for a 1911. I've got one, a RIA which is accurate, and so far hasn't jammed on me. Which is all I require from a handgun. I've shot one of those expensive 1911s and it was super accurate, but it was $2000 or so.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Back in the late 1990's I bought a used AMT Backup for $300.00 plus tax and background check. It still launches 230 grain hardball efficiently and reliably and stays on target at GTFOM! distances. When I want a little extra ammo capacity, it accepts a slightly modified 1911 magazine as a reload once concealability becomes a moot point.

Carrying and trying to conceal something almost twice the size and weight to be able to hit a target reliably at ranges where disengagement or retreat would probably be a better option? Gotta sort of question the wisdom of that choice, from a purely practical standpoint!
    Jerry
    I think them 9mm Polish Radoms we see so many WWII pics of with Krauts carrying them that look a lot like a 1911 are cool.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,092 Senior Member
    I definitely agree with Zee and others. People spend more on their trucks than I'd want to pay too, but they get what they want and it's their money. Getting in to the higher end of 1911 is like buying a painting. You can go to the hobby store and get one for $10 and it will hang on the wall, or you can go buy a real "work of art." It will still just hang on the wall, but the buyer wants something nice that fills the role they want it to fill and is willing to spend the money it takes to get there.

Personally, I've had two 1911 pistols. The first, a Kimber Pro Carry ll. I wanted a 1911 for concealed carry, didn't want a tiny gun and didn't want a full size. I went with stainless, because I knew the gun would get moisture and sweat on it. The Pro Carry has an aluminum receiver, cutting down a bit on weight. Not overly expensive, but right in the price range I was looking to spend on a nice 1911 that would see some use. Kindof a middle of the road pistol. Not cheap, not overly expensive. The Pro Carry fit that role for me.

Later, my dad got his concealed carry permit and started carrying his Baby Eagle. He still loves that gun, but for a CC piece, it's a bit bulky and heavy. He found himself not wanting to carry it. So I made a deal with him. He got my Kimber Pro Carry, and I got a Kimber Custom ll. The role I wanted the gun to fill had changed, so I got one that took care of my needs and he got the same in return. He got a lighter and more compact CC gun that is easier for him to carry. I wanted a gun for non-concealed carry. I wanted it to be all steel and I wanted a longer barrel. Tough enough that I can put it to work and use it, nice enough to be happy with it, but not so nice that I won't play in the dirt with it. Accurate enough to put rounds on steel at 100 yards. And it's been reliable with everything I've fed it, with the exception of some lead 200 grain SWCs I loaded and tried in it. It shot them well, but didn't like to feed them.

While it's always fun to buy guns just for the sake of buying one, I think it is also wise to define the role the gun is to play, what features are wanted and then shop for what fits that role and falls within the budget.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,796 Senior Member
    All this talk has inspired me to break "The Sisters" out and take them to the range this afternoon. In the process, I decided to scale the trigger pull on all my 1911s and compare.

Here are the trigger pull weights of all my 1911 handguns from least expensive to most expensive.

SA Range Officer 9mm = 4lbs 8oz
    Kimber Custom Stainless TLE/RL II .45 ACP = 4lbs 10oz
    SA TRP .45 ACP = 3lbs 12oz
    Tripp Research "Harlot" .40 S&W = 2lbs 10oz
    Tripp Research "Perdition" .40 S&W = 2lbs 12oz

This is not indicative to all guns of similar range. Just the difference in MY guns on the price scale and only one aspect (trigger pull) of them.

So, there ya go.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,796 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    WHAT did you do with the DETONICS?!?!?!?!?!? PLEASE tell me you still have that gun!

Gave it back to my Mentor. It's too valuable to use and I don't do safe Queens. I most likely will end up with it anyway in the end. But, I'd just as soon he hang onto it for now.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    DAMN IT! I never got to shoot it... :bang:

You heard it here first, folks! Now we all know what Wambli's next "downsizing item" will be! :roll2:

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I've got exactly one 1911, and it's the only one I ever owned. It's a Springfield Armory that I paid $715 Drive out for. It's stainless and has adjustable sights. It goes bang every time I pull the trigger. It doesn't corrode and it fits my hand. Never had a failure to fire. It is all I can imagine I would ever want in one. I think some of this custom crap is a rip off.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Oh Lord NO! Scoring a Combat Master in good shape at a reasonable price was tough enough. The other models are made of unobtanium!!!!!!!

Your good deal ferreting and low price acquisitions skills are legendary. You'll rise to the occasion! :tooth:

• bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,572 Senior Member
    I've owned a Springfield Loaded and currently have a Kimber CDP. I wish I still had the Springfield; it was a mistake to let that one go. The Kimber is just what I wanted in a sidearm, and I got what I paid for. It would take a special gun to make me want to pay more than what I paid for the CDP.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    Colt has a new(er) version of a 1911 called Colt Competition Pistol....Blue grips and a dual recoil spring in 9mm and .45

I kinda like it and if I didn't have a DW P7 on a 70 series frame.......

http://www.firearmsnews.com/reviews/review-colt-competition-pistol/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_term=firearmsnews&utm_content=alternatestorylink

Around $800 give or take, I think

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=Colt+competition
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Colt has a new(er) version of a 1911 called Colt Competition Pistol....Blue grips and a dual recoil spring in 9mm and .45

http://www.firearmsnews.com/reviews/review-colt-competition-pistol/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_term=firearmsnews&utm_content=alternatestorylink

I've been lusting after that pistol recently as well. And those grips rock!

• horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    The problem with high-end 1911 pistols is the same as with custom firearms of every kind - the law of diminishing marginal returns. So called entry-level guns are so good now that the operational differences between them are becoming insignificant. Yes, a Les Baer gun might shoot a half-inch tighter group than a RIA or Taurus 1911, but unless you're a top tier competitive shooter, so what? OK, the expensive gun will have a nicer finish, but since that's the first thing that goes, and goes quickly especially along edges and muzzles from holster wear, again, so what?

Same with rifles. The new $350 Ruger American rifle, or any similar model from half a dozen manufacturers, will deliver the same accuracy you once paid a fortune to achieve. Yes, it does look better ... until you take it hunting the first time, get a couple of nicks in that fine, grade 4 walnut stock, and your gorgeous $3k rifle is now a used, VG $1.5K rifle.

The price-value relationship is toast. Quality, if defined as performance more than appearance, is no longer price-dependent. Thanks to advancing technology, the world is turned upside down. The only serious money I spend on firearms nowadays is for something especially rare, collectible, or of eccentric interest to me.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,692 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »

Odd... they undercut the triggerguard, a good thing, but don't bevel the mag well? Springfield does that on their Loaded models, and I think so does Remington on their "enhanced" models.

Really, Colt? Sometimes they make weird decisions.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,240 Senior Member

Really, Colt? Sometimes they make weird decisions.
    You mean like building an AR on an upper ready for a FA and dust cover, but no DC and a plug in the FA hole?
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,692 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    You mean like building an AR on an upper ready for a FA and dust cover, but no DC and a plug in the FA hole?
    Yeah, that too.

Or releasing concealed carry/enhanced 1911s for YEARS with razor-sharp edges. Manipulate it too vigorously... get cut.

Colt All American 2000. Colt Double Eagle.

As others have said, the prancing pony has a strong influence on the weak mind.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,240 Senior Member
    :uhm:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.