Home Main Category Personal Defense

What is your most reliable and accurate pistol and why?

Replies

• 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Olsburg KansasPosts: 1,650 Senior Member
    Glock 34 shoots their eyes out.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    45 ACP Witness
  • CoreyWCoreyW New Member Middleton, IDPosts: 14 New Member
    My Colt Commander, it is the 1991A1 series with flat MSH, only issues have been magazine related. The wife's P89 is a close second.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Folks can say what they want to, but a revolver is more dependable than semi autos period. If you use the correct ammo and it fits into the cylinder charge holes easily and you can easily close the cylinder, chances are 99.9999999999999999999999999% it will go bang when you pull the trigger. There is a lot going on with a semi that a revolver doesn't have to do, like feed, fire (both need to do this, less complicated getting there in a six-shooter), eject and reload another cartridge. Trade off is limited number of shots and slower reloads. True, you can get 7 shot six-shooters and 8 round mags fer a standard 1911.

This is an old argument Semi vs Revolver, pros and cons are many, but a good revolver will always function with less that can go wrong than any semi ever built.

Most of us will probably never "Need" anything more than a S&W model 10* .38 spl or other models in .357 (13/19/27/686 ect ect) or variations thereof in our lifetimes, anyhow.

I ain't saying it isn't fun/interesting to own many calibers in semi-autos and revolvers that can be used for SD/HD/Hunting chores, but basically it can be kept real simple.

I'm also a firm believer in the "Old School" way of thunking in starting new shooters with a revolver for centerfire calibers and then working them up to semi-autos. The exception is .22s, mainly because good .22 revolvers are $$$ anymore and there is little recoil to deal with.

* This could be a model 36/642/ a lightweight, a Colt Detective Spl or whatever along those lines or a Ruger SP 101...........
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • temmitemmi Member TexasPosts: 230 Member
    I see this question a lot.

I just don’t own any “Gun” which is not reliable or accurate.

So given all my handguns are reliable and accurate, I will say the Sig P220 is the “most”.

BUT

Only because I practice with it the most.
  • rallykidrallykid Senior Member Murder MittenPosts: 657 Senior Member
    My Glock 19 and 26 are both tied for reliability as I have never had any kind of failure with either. Accuracy with both are about the same at short range but the 19 gets the nod for longer distances due to the longer barrel and better sight picture as a result. I bought them for reliability and easy maintenance. They are the AK47 of handguns, they just keep going no matter what you throw at them. Other than the 1968 S&W Model 10 that the wife has every handgun in our house is Glock.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
  • amy1sgamy1sg New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    I own many handguns but the most accurate & reliable is my Ruger GP100 with 3" barrel. I can group 6 shots into a group the size of a quarter at 50 feet. It's just dead on accurate.
  • HKChrisHKChris New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    HK USP tactical .45.

Match barrel, match trigger, rubber o-rings.

Designed right behind the MK 23 for SOCOM so they would have similar performance in a smaller package.
  • 44special44special Member Posts: 64 Member
    I fail to understand why you exclude revolvers. So they are more limited in capacity and wider. So what? If members here have a preference for a revolver, why shouldn't we hear their stories?
  • bisleybisley Senior Member East TexasPosts: 10,815 Senior Member
    Big Chief,

I don't disagree with anything you said about revolvers being more dependable and easier for novices. It sounds right, whether it is or not. It is just a non-issue for me, because my semis are dependable enough.

There are some semis that are so reliable that you aren't really making a trade-off by choosing one. If a particular model of a semi-auto has been repeatedly demonstrated to fire 5,000 or 10,000 times without a failure, it's more than adequate for any responsible gun-toter, who takes care of inspects his handgun properly.

It doesn't really matter if a particular revolver will fire twice that amount, because most folks don't have a need for that extra assurance.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,034 Senior Member
    44special wrote: »
    I fail to understand why you exclude revolvers. So they are more limited in capacity and wider. So what? If members here have a preference for a revolver, why shouldn't we hear their stories?

Probably because revolvers are perceived as more accurate and reliable than autoloaders.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,034 Senior Member
    You know, the more I think about it, I don't buy that a revolver is "simpler" than an autoloader.

You need to get 5-8 chambers to line up with the barrel, every time. An autoloader has the chamber as part of the barrel.

The heavy cylinder is advanced by the small hand working on the ratchet of the much larger cylinder. An autoloader has a slide that feeds from a magazine.

The cylinder is held in place by a small cylinder stop that has to mesh perfectly with the cylinder bolt holes (multiple cuts on the cylinder, which can eventually wear out.) The timing of the stop and cylinder needs to be timed perfectly. An autoloader uses relatively larger lugs to mate with the slide.

A bent ejector rod or crane will either tie up or make a revolver less functional. The ejector shroud can get full of mud and dirt, making it hard to close the revolver. Kinda hard to do that to the frame rails and slide on an autoloader.

Reloading a revolver takes more fine motor skills, even with moon clips or speedloaders, than reloading an autoloader.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member East TexasPosts: 10,815 Senior Member
    Has anybody ever done a Glock or XD torture test on a revolver?
    I don't know.

I can tell you this: having detail stripped an 1911 and a Hi-Power, versus looking at my Smith and Wesson revolvers, I'd rater work on the autoloaders. The Ruger GP-100, on the other hand, is easier to pull apart.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    You are correct on all counts !!! congratulations !

I had to shoot for ages before realizing what you just stated.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Central IndianaPosts: 902 Senior Member
    I cannot recall any of my pistols that are unreliable or when I had any malfunction. I do own a Walter P-38 that my Uncle brought home from WWII that I have never fired, as it has a slight bulge in the middle of the bbl.

I would say my most reliable pistols are my Colts.

Govt. Model Series 70, Combat Commander Mk IV and Lt. Wt. Ofc. Model I often carry. I don't remember any misfires or jambs with either.

As to accuracy I would say my S&W 624 3" bbl. is very accurate, if I do my job.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    Mine is my HK P7. Solid, heavy, and very accurate. The cocking system is weird, but it's trouble free. Familiarity by shooting and squeezing the grip are directly related. The barrel is fixed and very accurate.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • temmitemmi Member TexasPosts: 230 Member
    I did not give any thought to my Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt, it is a real shooter and my browning challenger (1975ish)

But the Sig is the one it shoot the most
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    temmi wrote: »
    I did not give any thought to my Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt, it is a real shooter and my browning challenger (1975ish)

But the Sig is the one it shoot the most
    Funny how that works, the newest one is the one I shoot the most.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Tampa, FL areaPosts: 2,954 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Funny how that works, the newest one is the one I shoot the most.

Nah... my old Ruger .22 is still the one I shoot the most. By FAR.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    I was not going to mention it, but anywho, since I have never had any what I consider "target or bullseye" or match grade competition handguns, most of what I have fielded were LE grade service arms, the most accurate and reliable handgun was a stainless S&W 645, .45 acp, rather large and heavy, but never a stoppage except with the crappiest re-loads, and dead on accurate once it was dialed in, adjustable sights, I could shoot ragged hole groups all day with boring preciseness.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    If you believe revolvers are more reliable than autos, you haven't shot enough revolvers. Revolvers have so many more parts to go wrong, and they fequently do go wrong.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene L wrote: »
    If you believe revolvers are more reliable than autos, you haven't shot enough revolvers. Revolvers have so many more parts to go wrong, and they fequently do go wrong.

I don't agree, "and they frequently do go wrong." is an illogical statement

And have the potential to go wrong.
  • shooter10mmshooter10mm Member South Georgia By GOD!Posts: 215 Member
    Most reliable, is my Glock 20......It's just never let me down. One stovepipe in all the years I've had it, and my brother limp wristed into that problem.

My most accurate? A Les Baer Boss .45.....I've had quite q few and she is purty dam nice!!
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man
  • NC JNC J New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    My Glock 35 Gen 4 for both. Stone cold accurate and reliable. My Walther PPQ .40 is tied with it tho. Both are fun and great guns.
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    I'd like to first point out that I'm not a huge fan of any pistol or revolver and because of that I only own 2 (the wife has 3 of her own)

That being said, my best is my Beretta 92fs. I've heard a whole lot of negitives about how it's an old piece of crap, too heavy, too bulky etc etc. Well I like the heft and the size fits my hands perfectly. The one I own is insanely reliable. It's gone boom with everything I've fed it, never a double feed or jam even after shooting 250+ rounds mag after mag after mag after.. (CCW class.. maaaan did we turn dollars into noise in a hurry) I wouldn't call it a nail driver but I can't really blame the gun for that as I know my pistols skills are not where they should be. I can hit a tennis ball from 21 feet but that's about my best.
  • wagnerwagner Member Posts: 40 Member
    I only own two handguns at the moment, both of which are so far equally - and flawlessly - reliable: Glock 23 and Walther PPS, both in .40. For some reason, I shoot more accurately with the Walther. I really have no idea why, especially considering that the grip on the Walther is less comfortable in my hand (the webbing between my thumb and index is permanently marked from the bashing I take from that little gun). It's probably a trigger issue. I love both guns, but the W's trigger is just a tiny bit smoother.
  • cluznarcluznar New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    I have three guns that I own and all are reliable and accurate.

Ruger SR9c
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Bersa Thunder .32

None has ever failed me yet. :popcorn:
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Zombie thread!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    No Doubt! After a bit I started noticing the post dates after seeing some old names.....then searched for the possible spammer who brought it back to life.....looks like Cluznar did an archive search.

Well to add to the thread:

To meet both criteria of Reliable AND Accurate.....that goes to my Sig 229. The criteria then gets split between the other two pistols I would carry. Reliable swings to the Glock 23, and Accurate swings to the SW 1911.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!