Reloading

pjames777pjames777 Senior MemberPosts: 1,027 Senior Member
Good week: 300 rounds .30 Carbine, 350 rounds .357 magnum, and 900 rounds of .45 ACP. Still have a lot of brass left. Love saving over 50% on ammo. All tested well at the range. Life is good. Storing away for when the Kommifornia agents come knocking. California will never get another sales tax dime from me on sporting/hunting items again. Online and Reno, Nevada is my "supermarket" from now on....

BTW: PMC brass is lousy. 20 cases went bad during loading for .357 magnum. All of the other manufacturers no problems, Federal, Winchester, Hornady

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I got pretty good results with PMC brass, but oddly enough the flash holes are very often off center.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,710 Senior Member
    Hey, good going to load up some like that.

I have had PMC (Pan Metal Corp, S. Korea) brass that needed the primer pockets opened up, too tight with a hand tool and other PMC brass that was just fine as is. It is like they squeezed the pockets tight around the brass.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,710 Senior Member
    Yep, 50% rule applies on savings when you load yer own. That usually holds true for me, sometimes more depending on the components cost and if I bought in bulk and on sale.

Some say you don't really save that much because you are shootin more. That may be one way to look at it, but round for round if you went out and bought the same amount of factory ammo that you reloaded and put the receipts for what it cost side by side you still would be saving at least 50%

After the initial layout for press/dies/scale/ other tools and the versatility of being able to customize your loads to different power levels/seating depths and bullet choices, reloading wins hands down.

Sure sometimes you can almost buy bulk factory ammo like 9mm and .223/5.56 for almost the same, but you are stuck with pretty generic loads. Just depends.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,027 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Yep, 50% rule applies on savings when you load yer own. That usually holds true for me, sometimes more depending on the components cost and if I bought in bulk and on sale...

After the initial layout for press/dies/scale/ other tools and the versatility of being able to customize your loads to different power levels/seating depths and bullet choices, reloading wins hands down....

This is the fun part!
    early wrote: »
    I got pretty good results with PMC brass, but oddly enough the flash holes are very often off center.

Maybe it was just the PMC .357 mag cases. Flash holes are smaller. But they distorted when I pressed the bullet in place. None of the other brands did so.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,663 Senior Member
    I've had my best luck using Starline brass, always consistent and priced right..........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    I've had my best luck using Starline brass, always consistent and priced right..........robin

I reuse the brass from new ammo that I shoot. Limit handgun ammo to three reloads as long as the case is sound. Purchased 500 rnds of .357 mag from a local indoor shooting range for .05 cents a round.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,364 Senior Member
    I have some 38 brass I remember helping Dad load in the mid 80's. I also have some 357 cases from the same timeframe. On near max loads I use "newish" brass. Standard pressure stuff, grab a case and load. It really doesn't matter that much.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    I like Starline brass for reloading...