Home Main Category General Firearms

Guns That Don't Do It For You?

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,887 Senior Member
The title says it all. What popular guns just don't trip your trigger, for whatever reason?

For me:

The Browning Hi-Power / P-35: First wonder-nine, only gun to fight on both sides of WWII, blah blah blah. I own one, a 1944 Inglis, and it's a resounding "meh." Weird trigger system, hammer bite, and cost turn me off to this design. I could dump $1500 into a Hi Power to make it what I want, or I could just buy a CZ-75.

Any Glock: I want to love them. Proven design, stupid simple to work on, reasonable price, cheap mags, the list goes on. The ergonomics and squishy trigger ruins it for me. I've had 3 Glocks and none of them stuck around long. I'll probably go nuts and buy another, and that one probably won't stick around. The M&P series does what I want, and at this point I'm so invested in maintenance equipment and mags there's no point in switching anyway.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Glocks...........but I may eventually get one anyhow.

ARs with too much crap hanging off them and most anything "Tacticool".

Tauruses/Hi-Points/Bullpups/Ravens and the like.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,347 Senior Member
    Weatherby rifles. Too much Asian influence on them, cotton eye candy (sweet but without substance,) inlays in the stocks, bowling ball finish. Not the Vanguards, but the rest of them.

Any single action revolver. They don't fit my hand. Not saying I wouldn't buy one if the price is right, but it would have to be a great deal.

T/C Encores. And Contenders. I've owned a couple in .35 Rem, .223, and 22 Hornet. I think they're ugly and unless you're a hunter, which I'm not.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,692 Senior Member
    Glock: bad ergonomics. For me an XD or a M&P is better.

Pocket .380s: KelTecs, Ruger LCPs, etc.... pocket 9s are almost as small, more potent, etc.

Colt Revolvers: just not into 'em.

Ruger .22s: Yes, they work. They're accurate. They're great. But when you've got access to a Colt Woodsman Match Target.... why? Only one that may interest me is the 22/45.

Winchester Model 70/Mausers: No real excitement. Sorry. Heck, I don't even get worked up over most Model 700s. Or other bolt-action rifles. I have one, a Model 788, but it was more of a "what can I do" rifle than anything else.

Berettas and most other DA/SA handguns: just no interest. Same with Sig. Exception: CZ-75.

Double-barrel shotguns: not much of a shotgunner. I appreciate the beauty and work, but for me a shotgun is for deer, birds, or home defense. Strictly functional.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Thumb-Hole stocks on rifles.............not because they don't work they do we are told (cpj?), but sure as the sun rises I'd yank my thumb outta joint or worse playing with it/cleaning it or shootin on the range bench and stand up to walk with my thumb still stuck in the hole :yikes: :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,700 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Thumb-Hole stocks on rifles.............not because they don't work they do we are told (cpj?), but sure as the sun rises I'd yank my thumb outta joint or worse playing with it/cleaning it or shootin on the range bench and stand up to walk with my thumb still stuck in the hole :yikes: :tooth:

Chief I was right there with you on the thumbhole stocks, but then I shot CPJ's I almost put my 10-22 in one and my .223 may end up in one eventually.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    cpj wrote: »
    Hehehehehehe

We thumbhole lovers will take over the world.

:up::up::up:

:down::down::down:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,613 Senior Member
    Glocks for the same reasons everyone else has cited. CZ has ruined me for most others...

... although gen 4 Glocks have yet to be experienced by me, being as they're unobtainium here in the PRC. Definitely want to try a 43 once I'm in the USA permanently.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Hehehehehehe

We thumbhole lovers will take over the world.

All depends on which hole you got your thumb in...
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,240 Senior Member
    every Sig, Beretta & Taurus firearm I've ever handled. CFR bolt guns, weatherbys and any rifle with a .277", .243" or sub .222" bore diameter

plus any handgun firing shotgun shells.

Y'all remember that goofy single shot 410 derringer we laughed about a while back? Oldest told me yesterday he's bought one. He did have enough sense to preface telling me with, "You're probably not going to like it but..."

I told him,"yep, you are correct"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,483 Senior Member
    1) The Judge

2) Savage Bolt Action rifles - do they intentionally make them as ugly as possible?

3) Remington 870 Shotguns - the old ones might have been nice, but the modern ones look like they were built in China with parts salvaged from the reject pile.

4) Remington Marlin Lever Actions - I want one, but I won't pay a premium price for a rifle with the fit/finish of a Yugo.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,404 Senior Member
    Revolvers.

Any of the newer S&W semi autos.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    The title says it all. What popular guns just don't trip your trigger, for whatever reason?

For me:

The Browning Hi-Power / P-35: First wonder-nine, only gun to fight on both sides of WWII, blah blah blah. I own one, a 1944 Inglis, and it's a resounding "meh." Weird trigger system, hammer bite, and cost turn me off to this design. I could dump $1500 into a Hi Power to make it what I want, or I could just buy a CZ-75.

Any Glock: I want to love them. Proven design, stupid simple to work on, reasonable price, cheap mags, the list goes on. The ergonomics and squishy trigger ruins it for me. I've had 3 Glocks and none of them stuck around long. I'll probably go nuts and buy another, and that one probably won't stick around. The M&P series does what I want, and at this point I'm so invested in maintenance equipment and mags there's no point in switching anyway.

How can you say a glock trigger is "squishy" and than brag about an M&P? The shield trigger is 10 times worse than a Glocks and and the M&P is not much better. Way to much pretravel. The reset is ok but the two piece trigger seems like the pull is about an acre before it does anything. I can live with a stock Glock trigger but not a S&W. Thank goodness for Apex.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I'm an opertunistic accumulator. Under favourable circumstances I might warm up to almost anything.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,887 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    How can you say a glock trigger is "squishy" and than brag about an M&P? The shield trigger is 10 times worse than a Glocks and and the M&P is not much better. Way to much pretravel. The reset is ok but the two piece trigger seems like the pull is about an acre before it does anything. I can live with a stock Glock trigger but not a S&W. Thank goodness for Apex.

Because with a few mods a M&P trigger can be made nice and crisp. I have 2 M&Ps: one with a factory Pro Series trigger and one with an Apex duty/defense trigger kit. They are both excellent.

A modified Glock trigger, in my experience, is still squishy.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,700 Senior Member

I remember you writing about how bad your trigger was without work. I actually prefer the trigger on my Shield over the Glock 43. Either I have an exceptional trigger for the Shield or bad one for the Glock????
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    early wrote: »
    I'm an opertunistic accumulator. Under favourable circumstances I might warm up to almost anything.

Hey! I resemble that remark!!!

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    BLOCKS, I own several also and have tried to warm up to them, but it just hasn't happened. I haven't owned a Ruger rifle that has been accurate for me, again, tried but no go.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    I have limited experience with Glock aftermarket triggers because my idea for Glock use is SD and a stock trigger will do okay. I do not like the Ghost stuff that drops the pull and in most cases does little to the amount of pretravel in the trigger. Now I did help a guy install a Skimmer trigger (a $160 trigger) and it actually was very nice with little pretravel and keeps a nice 5lb pull for SD with excellent rest ... but $160 trigger in a Glock :uhm:.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    Glock triggers ain't great but they are cheap to make good. My M&P performance center was, IMO, not as good as a stock Glock out of the box. The reset is but not the pull. Maybe it's that two piece trigger but it feels like a really long pull to me. I tried a shield the other day and it seemed really really long before you could feel the sear start to move. I wanted to like it and still almost bought it but said nah, don't want to mod a carry gun trigger.

NCFUBAR wrote: »
    I have limited experience with Glock aftermarket triggers because my idea for Glock use is SD and a stock trigger will do okay. I do not like the Ghost stuff that drops the pull and in most cases does little to the amount of pretravel in the trigger. Now I did help a guy install a Skimmer trigger (a $160 trigger) and it actually was very nice with little pretravel and keeps a nice 5lb pull for SD with excellent rest ... but $160 trigger in a Glock :uhm:.

That's less than a full apex trigger job for a Smith.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    every Sig, Beretta & Taurus firearm I've ever handled. CFR bolt guns, weatherbys and any rifle with a .277", .243" or sub .222" bore diameter

I get the .277 part. It's sort of a popular thing to do on this forum. But .243?

Really?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    That's less than a full apex trigger job for a Smith.

And in the same respect to the few M&Ps I've fired I see it the same way. As a SD gun the stock trigger will do just fine. Lightening the pull of a SD gun is just not my choice ... comp or target gun I can see but SD I just don't. Then again $160 Skimmer or $200+ Apex in a Glock or M&P or other polymer SD gun ain't for me ... just like Ruger and their magazine disconnects. To each his own but that G17 I installed that Skimmer I also installed Trijicon sights @ $125 along with an aftermarket mag and slide release ... he had already swapped out the guide rod assembly ... and my G19 put lead on steel just as easy. Yes it did feel slicker but $350+ on a $500 Glock doesn't seem to do much over a stock Glock for SD.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    Hi Points, I think they look stupid.

Marlin Lever Guns, I want to have one but this is about things that don't do it for you, and Marlin levers looks don't do it for me. Give me a Winchester for looks. But I know they are a bullet proof design and like I say, I want one to have one, I can't explain.

And finally sub 22 caliber anything. To me they're useless. They're cute, and they are a novelty. But I think that their use on medium game and larger should be discouraged for anyone except a skilled shooter who can surgically place the bullet in a small but very lethal area. But I've heard gun salesmen push them as deer rifles. "Oh yeah, they are so quiet and no recoil, great for your kid's first deer!" People like that have not a clue. I think a .22 CF should be the very minimum to be used on anything bigger than a Coyote.

Actually, I think the limits should be on Bullet weight, maybe something like No lighter than 50 grains. Of course I know a lot of people that have used a 45 grain V-Max and put it right behind the ear on deer from a .223 and killed lots of deer, but those people are not found on every tree. There's too many people that think they're Adolf Topperwein and can shoot the gnats off a goats balls at 300 yards. That ain't happening too often.

The problem is not so much that you need something bigger so you can kill deader, it's "there's not enough bullet mass to destroy enough tissue when it's not a dead on hit of the vitals," which is probably most shots. With an 06 size projectile, even if it doesn't hit dead on, it will expand into the vital area, especially when it penetrates into the body cavity and opens up causing massive blood loss. With an extra small projectile it may not have enough mass to do enough internal damage to down an animal before it runs off in the brush and dies where it can't be found. Of course, the problem with limiting bullet weight on the heavy side, some small bullets will expand and are frangible enough to come open and take out a large area of vitals so it's hard to draw the line.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,256 Senior Member
    This will raise a few eyebrows. Anything with a falling block action as they just never appealed to me. Pump shotguns, Glocks and wheel revolvers. I've about given up on AR's. As I've gotten older I keep it simple I like my bolt action rifles, , my pops model 94, semi automatic .22's & shotgun and my 1911.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,572 Senior Member
    Anything Sig. Categorically don't like them.

Revolvers with barrels over 6" - no point for me.

Desert Eagle magnums

Pocket pistols - hands too big; can't handle the noisy crickets

Ruger Super Redhawk - just.........no
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,692 Senior Member
    Wheel revolvers? What about hex revolvers, like the Rhino?

Chiappa-Rhino-357-cylinder-closing-pin.jpg?resize=248x
    Overkill is underrated.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    This will raise a few eyebrows. Anything with a falling block action as they just never appealed to me. Pump shotguns, Glocks and wheel revolvers. I've about given up on AR's. As I've gotten older I keep it simple I like my bolt action rifles, , my pops model 94, semi automatic .22's & shotgun and my 1911.

Oh Picky Picky Picky Picky!...:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,796 Senior Member
    This is too hard to define. Much like Early, I am an opportunist of sorts. But, the first dislikes that come to mind, aside from the general cheap Lorcin and similar ilk, are as follows.

Springfield XD
    Milsurps (other than Springfield 03a3 and Lee-Enfield)
    Flintlock/Caplock (I like to look at them and like the idea of owning them.......not the application of using them)
    BullPup Rifles
    Colt Handguns (Pistol/Revolver)
    Taurus Handguns
    Modern Browning Rifles
    Beretta anything

,,,,,,I'll likely think of some more........

Bullsi jogged my menory.

Edit to add:

Sig firearms
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,639 Senior Member
    Sig 22x series pistols. They just do nothing for me.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov