July 28, 1976

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,578 Senior Member
On this day 40 years ago Eldon Joersz flew an SR-71 Blackbird at 2194 mph to set the worlds speed record that still stands today.

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    The record only stands, because they won't publish anything that may have gone faster.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,195 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Isn't the real top speed of the sr71 still classified?
    Yes. The Soviets would rig up a MiG-25, beat the SR's record, then we'd fly an SR and just open up the throttle a little more.

Supposedly in Vietnam the speed record was not just broken but shattered.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,836 Senior Member
    Kelly Johnson, of Nortthrup Grumman's Skunkworks was an absolute aeronautical genius.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,737 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    On this day 40 years ago Eldon Joersz flew an SR-71 Blackbird at 2194 mph to set the worlds speed record that still stands today.

JAY

That's a little over 3217fps.............from a projectile weighing in excess of 1050,000,000gr. The ultimate prairie dog chambering ..............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Isn't the real top speed of the sr71 still classified?

The top speed of everything Military is classified. Even the Navy's ships. Hell, I bet the army's deuce and a half's top speed was classified, :rotflmao:

I was on my son's old oil burning carrier for three days out at sea off Japan on a Tiger Cruise back in the mid 90s. Tiger Cruises were where the fathers, grandfathers, Brothers, one guy even had his mother, go out for three days or so, to give the families a treat and show them what their sons and daughters were up to. This period of time, usually about three days, was not wasted. They used this time to do the annual certification of the ship. They certified every part of the ship by proving it could hold to its design specifications. At one point we were on a speed certification run, which consisted of holding design speed for one hour. The U.S.S. Independence's design speed was 33 knots. We were at 33.1 knots average speed and another father and myself who had met at breakfast went down in one of the four engine rooms. There was an old round mechanical tach on the wall which was measuring shaft RPM. It was sitting steadfast at 153. The guy I was with was an engineer of some sort and he, being an Engineer with an inquiring mind, asked most the questions. And he asked the chief on duty "What's the fastest you've seen that?" He said "Sir, that would be FLANK SPEED and it's classified info. But I may have seen it as high as 173 RPM." Then it hit me, I'm on a vessel approx. 1040 feet in length doing nearly 40 MPH and that ain't top speed. We were throwing a 12 foot wake behind the boat. That thing could have probably pulled a hundred skiers.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    RugerFan wrote: »
    Kelly Johnson, of Nortthrup Grumman's Skunkworks was an absolute aeronautical genius.

I watched the documentary of that on Military (Now American Heroes) Channel. They said one day one of the team members answered the phone, "SKUNK WORKS" Kelly Johnson fired him on the spot....

:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,267 Senior Member
    Everybody but us knows the real speed because they track/chase it when its over their airspace.Ask Israel, they tried to shoot it down
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,195 Senior Member
    RugerFan wrote: »
    Lockheed.

Irv Culver was the engineer who got "fired" for giving it the name. He said he averaged 2 firings per day, so it didn't really affect his resume much.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The B-58's top speed was also classified, but I distinctly remember a maintenance debriefing at Little Rock after a mission where the pilot was bitching about handling problems "above Mach 3"!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,078 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I've managed to lay a hand on a few military/combat aircraft over the years and I remember touching the outer skin of an SR71 and thinking I could probably punch through it!!!

Porous on the tarmack preflight. Skin heated up and sealed up once it was in the air at a certain speed. Topping off the fuel was always done in air. Top speed of a fueling tanker is 20 knots slower than the minimum speed of the SR-71. Spoke with the navigator on a tanker once and he said fueling the SR-71 was "an interesting ride". Sometimes the crew sat on the tarmack up to five hours waiting for the plane to cool off enough to let them deplane.

McNamara tried to get the plane decommissioned as part of SALT treaty. Senate said no. So McNamara as Sec. of Def. cancelled all the contracts with parts contractors and we eventually ran out of replacement parts....Another Democrat that felt that he knew best!!
    It was always interesting listening to the Habu engine starts on Okinawa- - - - -something about the sound of that Mickey Thompson Pontiac V8 that made me homesick for a dirt track!
    :love:
    Jerry
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,085 Senior Member
    July 1976...I was in a body cast. Well from my shoulders to my waist anyway. Had a Bicentennial flag painted on it. Wish I had a picture of that.
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison
    When the SR's were flying out of Okinawa we could usually guess approximately where they were going by the number of tankers we launched to support their mission. A KC-135Q was required to refuel a SR, since the JP-4 that ran the tanker engines and the JP-7 the SR required couldn't be mixed. The Q models were the only ones with the special fuel manifold to the refueling boom.

If we launched 4 tankers, the SR was making a high speed, high altitude run across Russia to land in Turkey. If it was taking pictures over South Viet Nam or Hanoi and refueling repeatedly, then coming back to Okinawa, we launched 7 tankers to support the mission! SR's LOVE their fuel at relatively low altitude!
    Jerry