I watched "John Wick" last night

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,046 Senior Member
Yeah, I know... took long enough. Anyway not a bad flick. Love the Mustang, good shoot-em-up. But it and some other movies made me wonder....

Where do these professional hit-men, assassins, thieves, and other criminals go to learn how to shoot? Some of them are using transitions, reloading techniques, and the like that would do a SEAL/Delta Force/MARSOC Marine proud. Who teaches them?
Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    There are all sorts of exmilitary etc for hire out there for the right amount of money. There is a video out there with whatshisname training for the sequel and he is smoking good! Worked very hard at his training.
    I'm not talking about who trained Keanu Reeves. Evidently Taran Butler was involved in his training. I'm asking backstory for the flick.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,650 Senior Member
    But it was my dog. Great movie.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    I know some folks who think it was okay at best.

I asked how far along they are in transitioning from "male" to female.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    I never watch television or movies, so I've not seen this "flick". But you ask who trains the actors, and Wambli has correctly said "for the right price, ex-military personnel of all sorts". He speaks the truth!

Remember the TV Show "Hawaii 5-0? When it first aired--first show-- the Free World's Intelligence communities went stark-raving crazy. The producers of the Show had hired an ex-intel analyst of medium level rank to help write the scripts. This analyst simply drew from memory and chose to forget his oath for security. (Sound familiar in todays' political situation? :yikes:). Counterintel types were instantly jerked out of dangerous positions, infiltrated foreign positions, Diplomatic positions, etc etc. Within the first 30 days probably close to 40 individuals were pulled from "Harm's Way", and several, maybe 8 or 9, totally disappeared not to be found....period.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I'm not a huge fan of Keanu, but I did enjoy John Wick. I tell you what, you steal my Mustang and kill my dog, and see what *I* do about it! :angry:

(Yes, I sold the Mustang last year, but the point remains...)
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    He cared more about the dog than the car.

Shows he's not materialistic.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,737 Senior Member
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    I gained a lot of respect for Keanu Reeves after watching him train. He definitely put in the effort.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Is he an actor who, as others, thinks all guns should be banned? Just curious.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 696 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Is he an actor who, as others, thinks all guns should be banned? Just curious.

Yep, words to the effect that "ordinary people shouldn't own them"

Edit: I did some searching and my post was incorrect, he takes the view that perhaps it isn't "wise" to own them, but is not against them.
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 388 Member
    Direct quote when asked..

“You mean should citizens be able to have a weapon? Yeah, why not? I am not fundamentally against citizens having access to a weapon, but I think that it has complications, the use of it. It’s probably not the wisest thing. Personally I don’t own a weapon.”
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,719 Senior Member
    Got it for 2 bucks on blue ray when our video store finally closed, watched it tonight, good flick.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Flashover wrote: »
    Direct quote when asked..

“You mean should citizens be able to have a weapon? Yeah, why not? I am not fundamentally against citizens having access to a weapon, but I think that it has complications, the use of it. It’s probably not the wisest thing. Personally I don’t own a weapon.”

And that's fine for him, and frankly lots of people. I always say, don't like them? Don't own one. But leave me be.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,549 Senior Member
    I was entertained by the movie, but only because I am pretty forgiving of unrealistic Hollywood stories, going all the way back to the '50's.

The actor is a good gun handler, and that makes the movie watchable, if not really believable.
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 260 Member
    He had a Latin tattoo on his back. Fortune favors the bold, I think it's a marine motto from Hawaii, just what I've heard. Three men with a pencil, that gives me chills. BTW, the Mustang in the movie, the 429, would've never never handled like that. They were all but shoe horned in the engine bay. The boss 302 was slower in a straight line but was a much better handler.
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,017 Senior Member
    1hogfan83 wrote: »
    He had a Latin tattoo on his back. Fortune favors the bold, I think it's a marine motto from Hawaii, just what I've heard. Three men with a pencil, that gives me chills. BTW, the Mustang in the movie, the 429, would've never never handled like that. They were all but shoe horned in the engine bay. The boss 302 was slower in a straight line but was a much better handler.

The big block Mustangs suffered the same ailments as the big block GM's of that era, poor suspension systems/shocks and even worse bias ply tires....no traction or cornering ability compared to what you can get for those old muscle cars today.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,549 Senior Member
    1hogfan83 wrote: »
    BTW, the Mustang in the movie, the 429, would've never never handled like that. They were all but shoe horned in the engine bay. The boss 302 was slower in a straight line but was a much better handler.

True, but the 'Boss 429' Mustang, of which there were less than 900 built, was a completely different animal from the Cobrajet Mustangs like Steve McQueen drove in 'Bullitt.' The Boss 429 Mustang was customized by Kar Kraft to compete in NASCAR, and had a redesigned front end, widened fenders, battery relocated to the trunk, and anti-sway technology on the rear end. Unlike the 428 and 429 Cobrajet engines that were found in a wide range of special edition Fords, the 'Boss' was Ford's answer to the Chrysler Hemi, and had oversized aluminum hemi-style heads and aluminum intake manifold.

I don't know what John Wick was driving, but the Boss 429 Mustang was a whole different animal from the Cobrajet.
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 260 Member
    Well I won't fault him for driving the charger or the 'stang but only because he was packing a P30.
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19