Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

North Korea

SargeSarge MemberPosts: 324 Member
Yanno... I'm kinda surprised nobody hasn't at least mentioned http://www.redstate.com/brandon_morse/2016/07/29/north-korea-declares-state-war-us...hahahahahahaha/ this in passing. Or at least...something... Now y'all know the Sarge don't get political, but let's discuss, shall we?
Pain is okay. Puking is okay. Fear is okay. Falling is okay. Crawling is okay. Failure is okay. Quitting is not.

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    It's best to ignore them, at least publicly. We have to be ready for anything from them, but being goaded into attacking them would not be good. They are tough and fanatical, which means a prolonged drain on our military - basically, another unpopular foreign adventure, in the eyes of most of the public. Their nuclear stuff is in hardened sites that would be very difficult to destroy with air attacks, and they are probably capable of nuking South Korea, if they are losing badly.

If they attack South Korea, we have to help, but short of that, or a direct attack against us, we should avoid conflict, in my opinion, but be ready for anything.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,381 Senior Member
    The 38th Parallel has held for many years now. There have been some instances like the killing of two of our Officers with an ax in 1976
    and skirmishes during patrols, but no acts of war. When in the Army I had the opportunity to oversee the movement of our Military and those from the Swiss Compound . They look and watch everything, but I doubt they have the true resources to launch anything against the South.Anything beyond a skirmish will be short lived as the wrath of America will be on them. And the ROK Military is tough.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Some of the ROK units in Viet Nam actually had to set up firing ranges to keep their troops marksmanship qualified. The VC avoided their areas like the plague. The ROK troops I had a little interaction with were big, tough, and mean as a snake!
    Jerry
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I knew a former ROK soldier in basic/AIT...........he laughed at our training not being as realistic as he had, they would have to stand in front of tanks driving at them and take cover in a foxhole as they drove over them. Mouth off or do something wrong the ROK NCOs would administer some corporal punishment on the spot................. good guy and one I wouldn't mind to have my back in any situation.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    The U.S. and South Korea are preparing for military exercises and North Korea is doing what they do best; threatening to do something like declaring war, nuking the South, or going batscat crazy and conquering the known world. They do this every year, and any time the U.S. and South Korea have any military exercise of any scale, small to large. North Korea makes threatening speech all the time, and nothing comes of it. I'd be a lot more worried if they were quiet. They're like kids; when they're noisy and arguing then all is well, but when they get quiet best to find out what they're up to FAST!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    We used to say soldiers were happy when they were bitchin about something.............when they stop something is going on.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    We used to say soldiers were happy when they were bitchin about something.............when they stop something is going on.

No matter the service, it's the "E-4 Mafia" you got to keep your eye on! That's where the 'stuff' that happens originates. :roll2:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Hey I wuz a Spec 4 at one time until they gave me a lateral transfer to be a corporal................
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,500 Senior Member
    My dad told me of a chat he had with someone who served in the U.S. military on the south side of the 38th parallel in (I don't recall) the '60, '70's, or '80's. This person first arrived at his post and decided to stand up prominently and look over the border to the north. . .and was promptly tackled to the ground by another soldier who had been there a bit longer, and got a stern lecture on the fact that shots were still occasionally fired. "Dorothy then realized she wasn't in Kansas anymore. . ."

It's worth remembering that the war of the early 1950's was never - technically - ended with a formal peace treaty. The state of war still exists - technically - between North and South, and as a highly involved and interested party - it could be said it still exists between the North and the U.S. as well.

So basically, business as usual.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • SargeSarge Member Posts: 324 Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    No matter the service, it's the "E-4 Mafia" you got to keep your eye on! That's where the 'stuff' that happens originates. :roll2:

Ain't that the damned truth.

As far as the topic at hand goes, I believe in being prepared, but not wasting ammo at every little thing that goes bump in the night. When you start doing that, you end up with a house full o' holes, and no ammo, so when something actually does happen you're up the creek without a paddle. As for me and mine, we will train for everything.
    Pain is okay. Puking is okay. Fear is okay. Falling is okay. Crawling is okay. Failure is okay. Quitting is not.