Back from the beach at Erie

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 6,316 Senior Member
or Camp Perry

It was hot and 13 hrs on the range was enough for day one. We didnt embarrass ourselves for the first time in a trophy match. Shot the Hearst Doubles team match.

SFP=slow fire prone, RFP= Rapid fire, prone from standing, RFS =rapid fire sitting from standing, OFF= offhand, standing unsupported followed by yards, num after score is X ring count, x is the center of 10ring and is used for tiebreaker.
Team score was
rank..sf OFF 200..RFP 300.. SFP 600.... total
198/300 165 - 0 x 189 - 3x 169 - 0x 523 - 3x

So we were about 1/3rd of the way off the bottom as a place to start. Not bad for two old guys who cant see. FYI, I found a vendor who makes a contact lens for a AR hooded aperture. May not need a flattop.

My part was
rank ind
386 ... 87 - 0 ... 93 - 3 ... 84 - 0 ...264 - 3
My offhand wasnt as good as I have done at 200 yds before, and the rapid at 300 could have been a bit better, but I was OK with a 84 at 600 considering I only had 2 times to put that rifle on paper at 600 yards.

Right after that we did the vintage sniper team match with my 03aFaux and did a little better.
rank...300yd........600yd........total
85 ... 188 - 1 ......182 - 1 ......370 - 2 Good enough to get us into the top 40% and a medal. Top 40% scores from last year are in the medals, so if you had 100 people shooting, the score of the 61st person from the bottom sets the low end of the medals for the next year.

My part 94 - 1 96 - 1 190 - 2 Worse at 300 than 6, go figure

Carbine was the next day. That thing is like a wife. Either we do not get along at all, or she likes me. That day she liked me.
100yds reduced SR1 target
Rank .....SFP............RFP.............RFS..........OFF..........total
90/433 .. 92 - 1 ......92 - 0 ......76 - 0 ......83 - 0 ......343 - 1
That put me in the silver medals. They take the top 40% and cut it in half, so it is the top 20% overall.

Next day was Springfield and vintage bolt action, shot at 200yds
Springfield shooting a 03A3 @200
Rank...........SFP...........RFP............OFF.........total
29/646 ......94 - 1 .......98 - 2 ......90 - 0 ......282 - 3 I got a gold, which means that the top 40% (bronze) is halved, then from that 50% (of 40% silver) the top 1/3 is gold. 29th out of 646 shooters. I am ok with that.

The afternoon brought the vintage where I shoot the Krag. She and I just came to a understanding. I can shoot her on the ground, because I can find a spot in the progressive lenses where I can pick up the front sight and the target, but I cant bend my head enough to shoot offhand. The Krag peep is like a 03 peep, about 16 inches down the bbl. If you can see through it, they are hammers, but I just cant. It was never one I was real ready to get a gold with, but this was our swan song. If the son wants to shoot her in comp, I will load for her.
@200..........................SFP............RFP..........OFF.............total
349/418 30-40 Krag .....91 - 0 ...... 84 - 1 ......46 - 0 ......221 - 1

Then the Garand
Did OK, just OK, got into the bronze. Couldnt pull my head out for SFP and RFP and offhand was nothing to write home about. Kinda a "meh" match for me.
rank............SFP.......RFP.......OFF......total
339/961...... 91 - 0 ......94 - 1 ......79 - 1 ......264 - 2

And as a tease, while I was in vendors row, found a grail gun, has to wait, I am going to bed...
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    Nice shooting! I would be bragging about those scores too!!!!!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,316 Senior Member
    RugerFan wrote: »
    Nice shooting! I would be bragging about those scores too!!!!!

Just posting scores, I'll brag when I clean one (100 out of 100) :bang: I have shot a bunch of 96's, some 98's and a few 99's but can I break the century???? OH nooooooo......
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,290 Senior Member
    Makes me miss my HP days...
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    I would be very happy with those scores. But, I understand what you mean also.
    Met this guy. He isnt burly by any means. His shooting partner and he were a hoot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq7KefZzA5I
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,237 Senior Member
    Makes me miss my HP days...

:agree: Ya did good. The main thing is ya had a good time, I'm gonna pass on some advice given to me a long time ago, your only competing against your self, not the other 700 guys.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    and after the shot breaks, its just like it never happened.