AAR-ish. Talon Defense. Defensive Handgun.

EliEli Senior MemberPosts: 3,074 Senior Member
Had a chance to take another class with Talon Defense/Chase Jenkins last Saturday. As has come to be expected at this point, the class/instruction was fantastic. Chase is a really great teacher and is able to explain the content in a way that makes sense to everyone. In the few instances where the lesson doesn't "click", he also has the patience to continue working with individuals until it does.

This class deals with using a handgun in compromised positions, using a handgun while employing cover/concealment, and the consideration that has to be paid to all of the no-shootums that we come in contact with while living our day-to-day. I've taken this class a couple times at this point and I have every intention of taking it a couple more in the coming years. While no, the class didn't contain any super-secret-teir 11-ninja $#!+, it does do a fantastic job of getting you comfortable with the fundamentals of working a handgun, while NOT just working on a traditional flat range.

The video was taken by Abner Miranda.

I'm the fat guy at :32, 2:25, and 2:58.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dqJrqfkYoE

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That last drill showed in the video looked pretty intense.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    Very cool. Thought you mag change sitting at the picnic table was impressive.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I know who I'm taking to the next picnic I go to in the park on the bad side of a town!

Way to go Eli :guns::guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,925 Senior Member
    Very cool. Thought you mag change sitting at the picnic table was impressive.

Looks like fun, nice mag change, looked smooth.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    What was the stick for?
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    What was the stick for?

The instructor was using it to induce malfunctions.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    What was the stick for?

What Farm Boy said...

It's very handy to induce malfunctions in both handguns and carbines. Chase takes it easy on the first timers, but the folks who've gone through his classes before get several "teacher induced malfunctions" throughout the class, especially in the more advanced classes.

Trying to clean a handful of Alabama dirt out of your AR or Glock, in the middle of the night, while having a tennis ball taped in one hand, while the teacher is still calling out targets for you to hit can get.......interesting.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    What Farm Boy said...

It's very handy to induce malfunctions in both handguns and carbines. Chase takes it easy on the first timers, but the folks who've gone through his classes before get several "teacher induced malfunctions" throughout the class, especially in the more advanced classes.

Trying to clean a handful of Alabama dirt out of your AR or Glock, in the middle of the night, while having a tennis ball taped in one hand, while the teacher is still calling out targets for you to hit can get.......interesting.

Looked like a rock concert to me.

But that's from the friendly confines of my comfy couch. :worthy:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    Looks like a lot of fun, and very useful practice. :up:
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    Looks like a lot of fun, and very useful practice. :up:

DITTO :up:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    Looks like a first class operation to me.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.