Home Main Category Clubhouse

Roadkill!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 28,076 Senior Member
So, my boy and I were driving out of our neighborhood when he spotted a brown animal in the grass.
Boy - "Hey, what's that?"
Me - "Somebody hit a deer with their vehicle."
Boy - "Oh! Maybe we can eat it?!?"

I don't know whether I'm more proud he wants to eat deer or the fact that it's roadkill.

B362EE4A-2F4A-4D56-98CF-6F61496222DF_zpsl4udqfzz.jpg
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,564 Senior Member
    Smart boy, good time to teach about heat and meat.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Good stuff.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    So, my boy and I were driving out of our neighborhood when he spotted a brown animal in the grass.
    Boy - "Hey, what's that?"
    Me - "Somebody hit a deer with their vehicle."
    Boy - "Oh! Maybe we can eat it?!?"

I don't know whether I'm more proud he wants to eat deer or the fact that it's roadkill.

B362EE4A-2F4A-4D56-98CF-6F61496222DF_zpsl4udqfzz.jpg

What concerns me more is the question, is this one of those "Like Father Like Son" moments?
    .....:yikes:.....:fan:.....:bang:

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Seriously, I think your son is above all a true, died in the wool, conservationist and that ain't bad at all. Now, you can perfect this attribute by coaching him on the affects of time and temperature on meat,

:roll2:.......:roll2:.......:roll2:.......:roll2:.......:roll2:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    You'ns aint got no coyotes out thar? Down here where I am that animal would have been eaten up totally within 48 hours by all kinds of other animals plus buzzards and even crows.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,076 Senior Member
    It was hit last night at the end of my street. I noticed it this morning when I came in from work. So, no yotes are going to eat it in the daytime at the end of my street by the highway. Buzzards will probably be on it by tomorrow.

Yes, I explained to him that it was killed last night and that by this afternoon............it was too rotten for eating as it had been baking in the sun all day with hot temps.

He understood.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member VirginiaPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
    So, jerky?
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    So, jerky?

Possible.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    How many rednecks does it take to eat a road-killed possum?
    :uhm:
    Jerry
  • bisleybisley Senior Member East TexasPosts: 10,815 Senior Member
    First rule of roadkill - get there before the buzzards - they get all of the tender cuts.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,716 Senior Member
    That's awesome. Your son gets it! Of course, he has you as a dad and it makes that leap a little easier....:tooth: I ain't above eating a deer shot by a Honda.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    The more bloated the more tender!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member NEPA Near Lake WallenpaupackPosts: 3,056 Senior Member
    You spelled my name wrong in the thread title... :jester:
    Support your local Scouts!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    No post mortem for the lad? I'm somewhat disappointed that you didn't at least open it up for the boy to prove to him that it was beyond being valid table fare.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    No post mortem for the lad? I'm somewhat disappointed that you didn't at least open it up for the boy to prove to him that it was beyond being valid table fare.
    Ha!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    The lady whose yard its next to probably wouldn't like my disemboweling a bloated deer next to her petunias.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Somewhere north of MozambiquePosts: 6,637 Senior Member
    The lady whose yard its next to probably wouldn't like my disemboweling a bloated deer next to her petunias.

Maybe not this year, but next?? Buddy, those petunias are gonna thrive!
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Renton, WashingtonPosts: 2,598 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Maybe not this year, but next?? Buddy, those petunias are gonna thrive!

Exactly what I was thinking.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,671 Senior Member

Don't know if you don't ask:jester:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11