Wood pigeon season started today in Finland

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 229 Member
As I wrote in my introduction last week it's been almost two decades as I haven't hunted practically at all. A few mallards here and there but otherwise hunting has been out of my life for a long time. Today pigeon season opened here and I took my shotgun from my gun safe and went to see if there's any wood pigeons flying. I had been waiting for about 15-20 minutes when one pigeon came flying over me. One shot one kill. It's been a while but this one bird made me happy. :)
Later today I'm going for another round as they seem to be flying every now and then.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    No time like the present to get back into hunting! Sounds like you are getting the gears going well. You pigeon season seems to line up roughly with the dove seasons here in the states, which start at the top of next month. It's reminder that Fall is near and it's time to get back outside!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,554 Senior Member
    That appears to be very similar to the collared doves that sometimes mix in with the mourning doves and white-wing doves that we hunt in the prairie areas of western Texas. I like to shoot them because they don't count against the 15 bird limit that the state places on mourning doves, and they are bigger and slower. They are not considered to be 'native,' so there is no limit on them, basically about the same rules as we have on feral hogs - shoot all of them you can.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,727 Senior Member
    White meat or dark meat?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 229 Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    White meat or dark meat?
    It has dark meat.
    I got another one on the evening round :)
    -William Blake-
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,271 Senior Member
    Pigeons/doves have very dark breast meat with a flavor slightly like liver. There's not much worth eating anywhere else, so we usually remove the breast, wrap it in bacon, and broil it. A limit of 15 birds (here in Tennessee) is a pretty good meal for two people. The traditional opening day here is September 1st. no matter what day of the week it falls on, and shooting begins at noon. The rest of the season it's dawn to dusk, with a 15-bird limit per day. Collared doves are also "no limit" here. Fun shooting, but very ammo-consuming for all but the best of wingshooters! Those birds must have afterburners!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    Nicely done Turdus, congratulations ! I have a friend in Great Brittan that hunts them on a regular basis. They are considered pests there and there is an open season. He hunts with muzzleloaders. Keep yer powder dry..........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    That would be good hunting
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    In case you didn't know!

The Ring Neck or Collard Dove that Jerry refers to is not a native bird in the USA. These are a native of an isolated mountain valley in the Pakistan-Indian border region that is surrounded by high mountains which have kept this Dove isolated and restrained to this specific small area.

In the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin Hitler, in a so-called gesture of "Peace", had 10,000 of these birds captured in their native habitat and released during the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. You can see this in films of the 1936 Olympics.

From this release these birds have spread far and wide, being released from the small geographic area of its original homeland. High storm winds are credited with spreading the species from the North African coastal areas to the lower eastern coast of the USA. I was fully grown when the species suddenly appeared here in the Deep South. It's more of a pigeon in nature, and is not often seen outside larger metropolitan areas.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    We have tons of the Collared Doves around here but Rich is correct. You rarely see them outside of town. I have only eaten a couple, they magically fell out of their roosting tree early one Sunday morning.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    ..................... they magically fell out of their roosting tree early one Sunday morning.

We get a lot of that over here.

1283029856.jpg

All year round.

Woodpigeon that is.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,271 Senior Member
    Yep, passenger pigeons used to do that- - - - - -not any more! Ditto for millions of American Bison!
    :tissue:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    shush wrote: »
    We get a lot of that over here.

1283029856.jpg

All year round.

Woodpigeon that is.
    Oh! And I was happy for the three I just got :)

-William Blake-
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    We have some pigeons around here but mainly we have Mourning Dove, and at certain times we have tons of them. In the past, you had to go down to the Rio Grand Valley to find White Wing Dove, but the last 15-20 years I've seen a few up this far. We're about 250 miles up the coast from the Valley. Dove here fly supersonic and you better be pretty sharp and fast on the draw to score regularly with your shotgun, and it helps to have a modified choke. Full's a little tight for hitting one of those little supersonic darts. I've hunted with an Improved Cylinder but they fly so fast that many times they're 30-40 yards away before you pull the trigger and IC has too many holes in the pattern when it gets out that far. I've always had the best luck with a modified choke.

As for their culinary value, I prefer doves to quail. My mother could fry them so fine they melted in your mouth. She would make a gravy that was out of this world and together with some fat cathead biscuits or some nice mashed (Real not instant) potatoes they make a fantastic meal. One time I brought home about 100 from a weekend hunt up at Charlotte Texas, below San Antonio, and she fried everyone of them and had everybody over. There was not one piece of dove left over. We polished the bones.

The pigeons around Texas are officially known as Rock Dove. I didn't realize it but Pigeons and dove are the same, however, what we call pigeons are usually larger doves.

Maybe your picture is playing tricks on me but those Wood Pigeons look about twice to three times bigger than our dove.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Teach wrote: »
    Yep, passenger pigeons used to do that- - - - - -not any more! Ditto for millions of American Bison!
    :tissue:
    Jerry
    Don't cry for them argentina!
    Woodpigeon is the UK’s major agricultural bird pest.
    Oh! And I was happy for the three I just got :)......
    Not me and not my pigeon, I might add.

snake284 wrote: »
    ..............Maybe your picture is playing tricks on me but those Wood Pigeons look about twice to three times bigger than our dove.

Our Collared Dove are much smaller than our Woodpigeon but still game.

Same for Stock, Rock and Turtle Dove, but all protected.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

One more. Seven birds total so far. As I got only one tiny rocky hill in between the sea and the forest behind our garage that pigeons fly over on their way to fields a few miles away from I'm pretty happy for the results. I should have done this a few years ago. To start again hunting for pigeons. Even when I don't have access to fields where they go eat in larger quantities.

-William Blake-
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I didn't know there were so many different types of pigeons.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbidae

I prefer pigeon to dove, personally. But ours are not wood pigeons. Not sure what kind they are, but I've never seen one outside of town.

I'm no pigeon expert and I'm not sure, but I really think what you have is Rock Doves or Rock Pigeons. Most all the literature I've read says that's the predominate pigeon in the US and it is usually a city dweller.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,071 Senior Member
    The common (around here) pigeon consumes garbage and anything else. I wouldn't eat one. They're not protected in GA, maybe because they're not a native to the area. They're a nuisance that shop owners would like to see go away.

They're trapped and used for live pigeon shoots. They also live in the country in silos. These I would eat, I guess. They're also raced; got a friend who races them. A pretty involved and technical sport.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Gene L wrote: »
    ................................ A pretty involved and technical sport.

For high and lowbred.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,546 Senior Member
    One more. Seven birds total so far. As I got only one tiny rocky hill in between the sea and the forest behind our garage that pigeons fly over on their way to fields a few miles away from I'm pretty happy for the results. I should have done this a few years ago. To start again hunting for pigeons. Even when I don't have access to fields where they go eat in larger quantities.

Those thing's look a bit bigger than our doves, do you just breast them or pluck the whole thing?
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    shush, there are probably 180-200 pigeons in that pile! First thought that went through my head was....whose gonna clean all these damn birds :yikes:
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    We already have pigeons by the ton but now they are filling an 1100' long ground pile.

8C646F4A-56A9-4160-8728-1AC70EBEB36F_zpsq2vjq4kh.jpg

I asked the boss what company policy was on dove hunting on property. He told me "you know what our hours are, don't get caught."

Which would not be a problem if work was outside city limits.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,554 Senior Member
    shush, there are probably 180-200 pigeons in that pile! First thought that went through my head was....whose gonna clean all these damn birds :yikes:

Three experienced dove hunters can probably 'breast' that pile in an hour. One uses scissors to clip the wings and the other two peel, until the wing cutter gets done. Then he starts peeling, too. I can easily do one per minute until my thumbs start cramping, and I know guys who can probably do 2-3 per minute.

The trick is to not bother with all of the loose feathers that stick to your hands and transfer to the the breast, after you peel the skin off. When you wash them, put the whole bunch of them in a five gallon bucket, stick a water hose in to the bottom of the bucket (turned wide open) and stir gently. The feathers will float to the top and run out. Just keep at it till all the feathers float out the top (maybe 5-10 minutes, and then start bagging them.
    Highly prized by many fine-dining restaurants at the moment.