knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,869 Senior Member
Unfortunately I have.

Have you?

Have you dropped your carry gun? 41 votes

Yes
48% 20 votes
No
51% 21 votes
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,285 Senior Member
    Once in walmart. Nobody noticed.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,115 Senior Member
    Dropped my J-frame out of my pocket twice. Once in a friend's truck the other time at same dude's house. It's part of the reason I don't like pocket holsters, and don't like some models of pocket holster. Granted this holster was of my own build, but...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    I can't remember every dropping any gun. I don't think I ever have.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,731 Senior Member
    Nope
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,610 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Yes.
    A glock. One if the first times I carried it. Was taking a dump, stood up and pulled up my pants and the holster turned upside down and out came the gun. Landed smack on the back of the slide, on concrete. Had I not just gone, I would have crapped myself.

Better that than having it land in the toilet!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,002 Senior Member
    yes, one time. I picked up one of those cheap nylon IWB holsters and thought it would work ok. Went fishing with the granddaughter and about the 4th time I bent over out it went. I will never again use a nylon holster.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    I dropped a makarov out of my holster in a bathroom stall once. Only once. Terrified me enough to never let it happen again.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,640 Senior Member
    Yes.
    A glock. One if the first times I carried it. Was taking a dump, stood up and pulled up my pants and the holster turned upside down and out came the gun. Landed smack on the back of the slide, on concrete. Had I not just gone, I would have crapped myself.

And much to Horselip's surprise............the gun didn't go off and kill everyone in the building.

Miracle.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Only in the woods, nobody else around.

It was from a cheap shoulder holster.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Yep, just this morning. I've been going to physical therapy 3 days a week, and to avoid freaking out the gals in the PT department, I leave my P-64 in the glove box for an hour. (Makes me feel downright naked, BTW!) While reholstering it today, somehow I missed the Kydex on my homemade IWB holster and fumbled it. It landed on the asphalt of the parking lot and slid about a foot under the car!

This is the same gun that's got a little road rash on one grip panel from sliding down the road under me, and a Honda Gold Wing. It stayed in the holster that time, though!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    And much to Horselip's surprise............the gun didn't go off and kill everyone in the building.

Miracle.

While I do believe in miracles, I think he's not telling the whole story. I think his Glock did go off, and kill everyone in the building except him. What happens in the bathroom, stays in the bathroom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,078 Senior Member
    Yep....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,697 Senior Member
    I haven't yet but I 'm not discounting the possibility of it happening eventually.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Carry enough, it's bound to happen...

True enough....
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I have not, but I came close once. Like Denny, that was the last time Uncle Mike and I spoke.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    Not yet.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,675 Senior Member
    Nope, never have. But, now that I have said it, I probably will soon.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,464 Senior Member
    There wasn't a 'not yet' option, so I went with "no".
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,025 Senior Member
    NO.....Knock on Wood.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,658 Senior Member
    No - not since my testing phase of concealed carry, when I was experimenting to find the best method. All of that was done in private, before I ever carried in public. I was taught to never drop a gun, and have fortunately (so far) remained conscious of the possibility. It can happen, and probably will, but has not, so far.
    I can tell you that I scuffed a buddy's old CAR15 when I leaned it against the bench and it shifted, then slid sideways onto the concrete floor, twisting and landing on the rear corner of the carry handle. I felt awful, and offered to replace the upper.

He just chuckled and shrugged it off, saying "it's an old gun, that's just character." I still felt terrible.

So now it wears a Vortex StrikeFire in a piggyback A1 mount. Didn't give him a choice about it; somehow it ended up that way after he loaned it to me for a long weekend...

The lesson here is that guns v. gravity is a losing proposition in any situation. I now have a small C-clamp whose sole purpose is to provide a secure spot to lean a rifle when need be.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    I can tell you that I scuffed a buddy's old CAR15 when I leaned it against the bench and it shifted, then slid sideways onto the concrete floor, twisting and landing on the rear corner of the carry handle. I felt awful, and offered to replace the upper.

He just chuckled and shrugged it off, saying "it's an old gun, that's just character." I still felt terrible.

So now it wears a Vortex StrikeFire in a piggyback A1 mount. Didn't give him a choice about it; somehow it ended up that way after he loaned it to me for a long weekend...

The lesson here is that guns v. gravity is a losing proposition in any situation. I now have a small C-clamp whose sole purpose is to provide a secure spot to lean a rifle when need be.

Damn! You can barrow my guns anyday!!!Hey you need a deer rifle? You can drop it out of a tree stand on the scope anytime!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »

Damn! You can barrow my guns anyday!!!Hey you need a deer rifle? You can drop it out of a tree stand on the scope anytime!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    :rotflmao::rotflmao:

NRA Endowment Member
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    Yes.

Same here, but an M&P, never a Glock.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,115 Senior Member
    If you drop your Glock in the toilet, how do you tell if you got poo on it?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    I have. I was carrying a 4" Kimber 1911. Got out of the car and somehow the seatbelt got caught on the grip of the gun. Gun slipped out of the holster and landed on the concrete parking lot. This was the start of my relationship with high quality holsters that possess a "f#(% you" level of retention.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    Never have. I'm somewhat overly cautious about it. I'm that guy who you might catch checking his sidearm to make sure it's properly seated in the holster and positioned properly on his belt. I try not to, so as not to call attention to myself. I figure eventually I'll grow out of it.

When I make a head call that requires a seated position I take it out and find someplace to set it until the business is done.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »

When I make a head call that requires a seated position I take it out and find someplace to set it until the business is done.

Which shoukd logically lead us into the "hammock" method of handgun retention....since most bathroom stalls are not handgun friendly....Though this probably wouldn't work for anyone going commando and wearing a skirt or a kilt
  • bulldoggbulldogg New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    Yes I have dropped my carry gun before.:agree: