Drop Tine Buck - your thoughts?

twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,231 Senior Member
The buck on the lefts picture was last year, the deer vanished right before season and was not seen. The picture on the right was taken just the other day. Notice the drop tine on the opposite side? I personally do not think this is the same deer, but damn it is awful close.....could it be? I have never heard of a deer's drop tine switching sides from year to year. I am thinking genetics in the herd, but am just not sure. The left side of the frame looks taller than the right, same from last year to this year, so this could be the same deer??? This is driving me crazy!!! Either way, nice to have another drop in the herd.

droptine2016.jpg

Replies

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    I would say that it is the same deer, and probably either one or the other of the cameras reverse the film. Probably the hand-held phone (?) one.
    The overall rack is too close to identical in my opinion for it to be two separate deer. Also, not sure of this, but is the deer pied? Looks like it in the photos. If it is, try to study the pattern and see if there is a close similarity. Same buck, I think, and you need to bust him this upcoming season!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,833 Senior Member
    I really like drop tines...there seemed to be the right genetics running around our place in KS as they weren't uncommon....we had one buck with double drops on our placefor a couple of years. He'd always disappear about the time season opened and showed up again promptly when season closed. We also had a drop tine bull elk at the refuge.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    I would say that it is the same deer, and probably either one or the other of the cameras reverse the film. Probably the hand-held phone (?) one.
    The overall rack is too close to identical in my opinion for it to be two separate deer. Also, not sure of this, but is the deer pied? Looks like it in the photos. If it is, try to study the pattern and see if there is a close similarity. Same buck, I think, and you need to bust him this upcoming season!

Here is the thread from last year (see below)....the drop has switched sides if it is the same buck, these picture are off the same salt lick, tree is not reversed...I find that very hard to believe its the same deer, but man I don't know.

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?25397-Trail-Cams-Out-for-7-Days-WOW
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,592 Senior Member
    One deer in a thousand developes a drop tine but they seem to keep getting them once they grow them if they avoid CPJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,224 Senior Member
    I think it's a different deer, likely from the same mom or dad - maybe even the same brood. The brow tines look significantly different and the switched drop tine side just doesn't add up to me for being the same deer. It's kind of like the Olsen Twins: they look virtually identical, but they're fraternal twins.

Either way, I wouldn't hesitate to take the shot.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,551 Senior Member
    I'm not that knowledgable about genetics, but everything that I think I know suggests that it is a different deer.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    I want to hear what breamfisher says, he's the Biologist here. I have Not a Clue! But I know that deer doesn't have the same rack he did last year wherever he is, so I would take a guess and say it could be the same one. I want to hear Breamfisher or some expert's opinion of whether a deer can grow a drop tine on one side one year and the other side the next year. I know another thing too. On our lease I've never seen a drop tine in the daylight where we hunt. I've never seen a drop tine there period, but the only drop tine I've heard about somebody else saw it on another part of the lease and he said it had them on both sides. I think big deer are rarely seen in daylight during hunting season. They didn't get that big being stupid. Smart old deer will be very scarce during hunting season so that's probably why you didn't see it again.

The bottom line is: If and it's a big if I would see him he's dead.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,833 Senior Member
    It's unlikely that it's the same deer...smae gene pool but not the same deer. I had the opportunity to watch our drop tine bull and collect his shed antlers for several seasons, When he was in his prime he had a lot of mass, as he aged that antler mass decreased but his reack was always the same basic shape and his drop time wasin the same place and the same shape. The only time there was a significant difference to his rack was when he broke off tines while fighting. Some of his offspring deveeloped pretty gnarly drop tine racks, but were never allowed to grow maturity
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"