Home Main Category Hunting

Caliber for coyote?

ArmoredmanArmoredman MemberPosts: 362 Member
I am going to try like crazy to get out this fall/winter, (we call it winter down here, but you Northerners would call it early fall, extended version), for coyote, with a buddy of mine trying to teach this fat old dog new tricks. Just wondering what people's favorite caliber is for the Wiley one. I have the choice of 9mm in a carbine, 7.62x39 bolt and 5.56mm semi auto, right now. No, sorry, no shotguns.
Thoughts, comments, rude noises?
«13

Replies

  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    You could use any of those.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,559 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Depends on your max distance, but were it me.....223 all day long.

    What the smelly one said.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    In virtually all circumstances, a .223 is the go-to cartridge for all-around coyote work. If you're trying to save pelts, a .22 mag with softpoint ammo will do better, but it's going to cost you a good bit of max effective range.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Armoredman wrote: »
    I am going to try like crazy to get out this fall/winter, (we call it winter down here, but you Northerners would call it early fall, extended version), for coyote, with a buddy of mine trying to teach this fat old dog new tricks. Just wondering what people's favorite caliber is for the Wiley one. I have the choice of 9mm in a carbine, 7.62x39 bolt and 5.56mm semi auto, right now. No, sorry, no shotguns.
    Thoughts, comments, rude noises?

    What won't work? I've killed them with a .308 and a.45-70 as targets of opportunity....pretty much whatever you've got will work. HOWEVER...my .223 or 6.8 SPC gets most of it done...if it's open country with the opportunity for longer shots...a .22-250...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    As Six Gun stated no matter what you choose. Bullet choice for saving pelts is an important consideration
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Just a PSA...Not sure where you live, but it seems the further south you get,the more mangy coyotes you encounter....if you shoot one (and you should---it's a mercy killing)..don't touch it, leave it lay, and whatever you do...don't bring it home...especially if you have dogs...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Because he's Happy, and that other guy is Dopey...I'm Sleepy....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NJSOGNJSOG Member Posts: 101 Member
    243 I like yotes vaporized


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,391 Senior Member
    .243. 90 grain Sierra FMJ if you want pelts; no shortage of more explosive options if you don't.
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,616 Senior Member
    What you want to shoot. Me, it would be a .223 and since you already have one, it makes the choice sweet. But anything you have will do the job. The .223 is accurate which recommends it. Reach out an touch them.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 362 Member
    Pelts down here have zero value, actually. I have never heard of anyone doing anything with coyote pelts in the desert southwest, but I might have missed it. I think the bounty is long gone.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Because he's Happy, and that other guy is Dopey...I'm Sleepy....

    Which one is Humpy again?
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,559 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Why I gotta be smelly? You're the one outside all the time sweating your bag off.

    Because we've been too nice to you lately.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,391 Senior Member
    Armoredman wrote: »
    Pelts down here have zero value, actually. I have never heard of anyone doing anything with coyote pelts in the desert southwest, but I might have missed it. I think the bounty is long gone.

    You'd need a cold climate for it to be worthwhile. Since that's not the case, 85 grain Ballistic Tips in a .243 or 6mm Remington would be my golf club of choice. Flat shooting and splatty!
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    .223 for what you have available.

    Hell in reality they are just a 40lb dog, a .22lr will work if you know your dope.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    That was my clambering of choice for two reasons.
    1- My coyote hunting mentor did indeed sell the pelts for realoading component money
    2- We hunted in CT where being nice about noise would get you invited back to hunt more.

    Calling them into range was never really an issue. My friend was REALLY good at it.

    The .22 mag stoked with 45 gr. Hornady Critical Defense ammo is what I am currently using, though it's admittedly a bit of an experiment to see if they will do too much damage versus a traditional softpoint. All I know right now is that they are incredibly accurate out of my Savage93GL.

    The area I am in is tough to hunt for coyotes. Numbers aren't terribly high and some of the meadows are very small. That said, when one comes into range, there is no doubt that a .22 mag will be beyond adequate.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,036 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Somebody's GOT to say it..... a 270. :tooth:

    Supposedly makes a damned fine coyote round :rotflmao:

    I couldn't believe it took til post #19... :roll2:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Somebody's GOT to say it..... a 270. :tooth:

    Supposedly makes a damned fine coyote round :rotflmao:

    Glad it was you.....and I thought it was only adequate
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    Glad it was you.....and I thought it was only adequate
    Ain't no way I'm wasting ammo and barrel life of my .270 for a damn mangie coyote. Anything from a 20 gauge to a 7 Mag. has been used on coyotes. But around here with the longer shots possible give me the best of the best, the .22-250 with a 45 to 60 grain bullet. Although I've never killed a coyote with my own .22-250, I'm going to start. A good accurate .22-250 is the perfect Coyote rifle.

    I've heard the .22-250 badmouthed on here and elsewhere as a needless cartridge, but for an all around rifle you can't beat it, especially since they come with tighter twist barrels nowadays where you can utilize more of the wide variety of excellent bullets available for it. You can hunt varmints, and Coyotes are varmints that are right up its ally, to deer and antelope size animals. Lots of hogs fall to the .22-250 around here. They are a very pleasant to shoot, very inherently accurate, very versatile cartridge.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,036 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    Glad it was you.....and I thought it was only adequate

    Wasn't it "Damned adequate"?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    Which one is Humpy again?

    I really believe that's supposed to be Dumpy. All these guys are past the Humpin' age.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Wasn't it "Damned adequate"?

    It's only just adequate because it is not convenient to use on Mangie critters. The Ammo costs more, it's a waste of barrel life because it is more suited to larger critters, it has more recoil than I want to go plinkin' at mangie critters with, and .22 CFs are more than adequate for the job and cheaper and more efficient to use. That's what the original calling of the .22 CF was in the first place. So, while the .270 will work, and is adequate, it is over kill.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    As Six Gun stated no matter what you choose. Bullet choice for saving pelts is an important consideration

    :that::agree:

    Yeah, even though I prefer the .22-250 where I hunt, whether you use a .22-250, a .223. or a God help you, a .460 WBY if you so choose, the bullet can be very important. You don't want to hand grenade anything of which you want to save the pelt of. Around here I'm not into saving Coyote pelts. Too many fleas and other critters. So for me, hand grenading a coyote doesn't concern me. I just want to keep their population in check. Buzzards gotta eat too!

    Now, the occasional Bobcat is a different story.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    Good excuse to go buy a 204.................:tooth:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Haven't hunted yotes in a decade. Centerfire rounds do way too much damage.


    firstyote_zps06fcb1ca.jpg
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

    Adam J. McCleod


  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Wasn't it "Damned adequate"?

    Damned for sure adequate for Jack pun intended
  • Savage99Savage99 Member Posts: 43 Member
    Use what you have for methods. Just get them.

    I shot most of them with the 243 because I was varmint hunting. However the coyote has eliminated the woodchucks here in New England! And I really used to enjoy chuck hunting.
    Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes!
    When we go to the eye doctor they ask us what lens we like! They have us look through lens's and find what we see best with! Do that with your shooting optics.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    Armoredman wrote: »
    .
    Thoughts, comments, rude noises?
    .222 and up; but, I'd get a .223
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Armoredman wrote: »
    Pelts down here have zero value, actually. I have never heard of anyone doing anything with coyote pelts in the desert southwest, but I might have missed it. I think the bounty is long gone.
    I disagree
    Just gotta hunt/trap them in the winter.
    Got a friend that traps them and sells the furs.

    Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Coyotes are not tough critters, actually they die pretty easy. Never had one take more than a few steps after a hit it the boiler room with a .22 mag. My old Mossberg with an old Japanese Bushnell 3.5-10 was my go-to gun for years.
    I agree. I have no doubt the .22 mag - especially out of a rifle - has the juice to make it quick. My only concern with this particular ammo is how bad it's gonna bang up the pelt if I happen to shoot a nice one this winter. Of course it would be a freaking defense load that shoots beautifully out of this gun and any of the softpoint ammo I tried for it.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement