Home Main Category Hunting

Caliber for coyote?

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    Screw you guys. .270....unless you can't handle the recoil and intend on needing a follow -up shot. If that is the case, a .223 stoked with fast V-Maxes is a great (best) choice.

Stay away from the 6mm or .243 chamberings. I missed 2 yotes at 80 yards prone over a bipod with seven shots. That caliber ain't no good for yotes.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,138 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Screw you guys. .270....unless you can't handle the recoil and intend on needing a follow -up shot. If that is the case, a .223 stoked with fast V-Maxes is a great (best) choice.

Stay away from the 6mm or .243 chamberings. I missed 2 yotes at 80 yards prone over a bipod with seven shots. That caliber ain't no good for yotes.

Mike

Sounds like a raging case of coyote fever coupled with a inadequate cartridge...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Sounds like a raging case of coyote fever coupled with a inadequate cartridge...

Man I don't know. Don't want to go under gunned. A .270 might be a little shy on killing power . Ya ever try a Garand with a Grenade Launcher?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 362 Member
    GAU8A with depleted uranium AP rounds do OK?
    Armoredman wrote: »
    GAU8A with depleted uranium AP rounds do OK?

Sure,,,if you want em skinned, cleaned and packaged... I recall a story about Chuck Yeager hunting deer with a P-39 Airacobra back in the day.....
    Jayhawker wrote: »

I've never had a raging case of anything, if you don't count Okinawa.

Mike
    N454casull
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Somebody's GOT to say it..... a 270. :tooth:
    Supposedly makes a damned fine coyote round :rotflmao:

Paul, Now that you mentioned it, I've got some 100 grain .270 HP rounds that would be perfect, LMAO........robin :deadhorse:
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • cpt-tcpt-t Member Posts: 37 Member
    Armoredman : I turley love to shoot Coyotes, and I have been doing it for along time, easily 50+ years. My Son laughs at Me because He say`s every rifle I have, I turn into a Coyote Rifle. But My 270, 308`s & 30-06`s always found their way to the back of the gun safes except during Deer season. Well that has all changed since I discovered Hornady`s 270 & 30 Cal 110gr V-Max bullets. Those bullets have turned my 270, 308`s & 30-06`s into Coyote Killing Machines that I use a lot now, rather than just becoming Safe Queens. A good body hit on a Coyote will almost turn one wrong side out. And I don't have to even consider, skinning one of the darn stinking things and saving the hides any more. And that is a good thing for most of the Coyotes I see are covered with Mange. And I have been warned that there are Coyotes that have been killed in my area that have the plague. So any Coyote I shoot any more just stays in the field where I found them, I don't want to touch them any more.
    ken
    Plague and Hantavirus are carried by the fleas, primarily on rodents.....so it makes sense that critters that feed on rodents, like prairie dogs, could become vectors for those diseases,
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I was talking to a guy at the LGS where my recent out of state purchase is being shipped. He says he's got a neighbor who shoots yotes with a .50 BMG rifle! That oughta skin 'em out pretty well!
    Jerry
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,907 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Good excuse to go buy a 204.................:tooth:

That was going to be my suggestion!
  • big elkbig elk Member Posts: 111 Member
    Depending where you live, but here in Wyoming with lots of open country i use my Remington 700 in 204. You can change bullets and loads depending on if you want to keep the pelt or not.
    big elk wrote: »
    Depending where you live, but here in Wyoming with lots of open country i use my Remington 700 in 204. You can change bullets and loads depending on if you want to keep the pelt or not.

Yeah, .204 or .22-250 are great for open country long range shooting. Also, with the right bullets, the .243 Win. or 6mm Remington. And the .270, .280 work good but are a little big for me, it costs too much and too much recoil for a stupid coyote. They are more than adequate but not ideal in my book. Oh hell I think I already said this once.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Mike

I would not blame the 243 for misses. more like bad gun or bad shooting. I have a Ruger #1 in 243 and have taken coyotes out to 300+ yards.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    I would not blame the 243 for misses. more like bad gun or bad shooting. I have a Ruger #1 in 243 and have taken coyotes out to 300+ yards.

2nd that opinion about the .243. A buddy has one (Ruger with SS barrel & synthetic stock) that shoots sub MOA all day with the right ammo. Extremely accurate for a bone stock mid priced rifle.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,187 Senior Member
    There is a guy on here that uses a .40sw
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • cpt-tcpt-t Member Posts: 37 Member
    linefinder: I have an old SAKO in 243 Win that I shoot Coyotes quite a bit with. And 58gr Nosler BT`s and 75gr & 87gr Hornady V-Max Bullets, all sure get the job done for me on Coyotes. I am real big fan of a 243 Win for just about anything I hunt for. IMHO the 243 Win is both an outstanding, Hunting & Varmint cartridge.
    ken
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,886 Senior Member
    I think some of y'all are missing the tongue-in-cheek nature of Linefinder's .243 comment.
    I'm just here for snark.
    Linefinder's only pulling your leg. He has a 6mm Remington which is nothing but a .243 on mild steroids. If you could look back on the old forums before a couple of crashes when he was still a very active P-Dog shooter, you'd see what he thinks of 6mm-.244 diameter rifles. I used to love to read these exploits of his. And he wrote about some terribly long shots at those minute targets. I wish he would get back into it.

BTW, just to be clear here, a .243 is actually .244 in diameter, same as 6mm. Same bullet-slightly different case.
    A 6mm in a true short action is really not much different powerwise than a .243. You need an intermediate or long action to take full advantage of its extra case capacity. It's not much at 4 grains of water, but it is more. And if you have room to seat the bullets out you can cram 5 more grains powder in it. It can out run a .243 by a couple hundred feet per second.

The .243 is made on the .308 Win. Case. The 6mm Remington is made on the 7x57 Mauser case. Some Mausers are made specifically for this length case, my Yugos being prime examples. They're shorter than a regular 98 Mauser action by close to a quarter inch, but their magazines being longer than true short actions. So they make great .257 Roberts and 6mm Remingtons not to mention 7x57s and 8x57s.

All this said, I don't think there's a dimes worth of difference in the two for shooting Coyotes. They're both deadly Yote Meds!
    For me Remington model 700 bull barrel laminated stock 204. rifle is heavy but only carry short distance to set up. very accurate and very little damage to pelt.
    I live in Wyoming and that's where I hunt. Also,if coyote has mange it stays where it's dropped, when the cold weather hits most with mange die and the rest are good.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    I've had good experience with .17HMR, too. But for all around usefulness, .223Rem should fit the bill.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    snake284 wrote: »
    Linefinder's only pulling your leg. He has a 6mm Remington which is nothing but a .243 on mild steroids. If you could look back on the old forums before a couple of crashes when he was still a very active P-Dog shooter, you'd see what he thinks of 6mm-.244 diameter rifles. I used to love to read these exploits of his. And he wrote about some terribly long shots at those minute targets. I wish he would get back into it.

BTW, just to be clear here, a .243 is actually .244 in diameter, same as 6mm. Same bullet-slightly different case.

I wish I was back there, too. But the plague came through here six years ago, and wiped out most of the pdogs in SE Colorado. My dogtowns were wiped out. They started showing some signs of life last year, and damned if the plague didn't cycle through again this past spring.

As tough as I was on those nasty rodents, Mother Nature is waaay worse. Maybe someday I'll get back in the game, but I'll probably be too old and feeble to lift a 14 lb 6mm.

Mike
    N454casull
    I use a 204.and can reach out to 200 and still do the job. I know some people say it will work fine out to 300+ yards. They are a better shot or better eyes than me.
    I wish I was back there, too. But the plague came through here six years ago, and wiped out most of the pdogs in SE Colorado. My dogtowns were wiped out. They started showing some signs of life last year, and damned if the plague didn't cycle through again this past spring.

As tough as I was on those nasty rodents, Mother Nature is waaay worse. Maybe someday I'll get back in the game, but I'll probably be too old and feeble to lift a 14 lb 6mm.

Mike

That's ok bro, you gave a lot of us some great days reading about your exploits. You had me inspired even if I don't live in a place to shoot em.
    I use a 204.and can reach out to 200 and still do the job. I know some people say it will work fine out to 300+ yards. They are a better shot or better eyes than me.

I would say with the right bullet your .204 is good for at least 2x that range.
    snake284 wrote: »
    I would say with the right bullet your .204 is good for at least 2x that range.

As to pdogs, Scootertrash's 2 go-to rigs was a .204 Ruger & a .20 Vartag. He said his comfortable range with them was about 400 yards, and beyond that, he'd leave them to me and my 6mm. He was a bit surprised when he finally realized that most of the 600ish yard shots I was making was with a .223 Rem. I pretty much reserved the 6mm for really long stuff, or really heavy wind.

Mike
    N454casull
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    Armoredman wrote: »
    I am going to try like crazy to get out this fall/winter, (we call it winter down here, but you Northerners would call it early fall, extended version), for coyote, with a buddy of mine trying to teach this fat old dog new tricks. Just wondering what people's favorite caliber is for the Wiley one. I have the choice of 9mm in a carbine, 7.62x39 bolt and 5.56mm semi auto, right now. No, sorry, no shotguns.
    Thoughts, comments, rude noises?
    40mm HE if you have it handy. Hanging some 88's is even better. From a more practical variety, anything in the 338 Lapua ballpark is preferable.

They need to be very dead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    204 is my choice for coyotes and prairie dogs. but in Wy. the wind plays a big part in what caliber I use. A 25_06 is not bad you still need to compensate for it.
    I don't think it was the 6mm or the 243.It sounds like the shooter needs to practise a lot more with these two guns, both have the capabilty to reach out to 200+ yds.