Obama/AG/State Dept trying to stop TX execution

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
I hope this animal is put down today!
Whose side is our cotton-pickin Federal Govt on?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/06/mexican-national-inmate-on-death-row-creates-international-stir/?test=latestnews

"President Obama, the State Department and Mexico have all asked Texas for a last-minute reprieve of Humberto Leal, 38, who was convicted in 1995 in the brutal rape and murder of a teenage girl. Citing the U.N.-enforced 1963 Vienna Treaty, the officials believe Leal could have altered his penalty had he been given the chance.

"There was a 30- to 40-pound asphalt rock roughly twice the size of the victim's skull lying partially on the victim's left arm," court documents read. "Blood was underneath this rock. A smaller rock with blood on it was located near the victim's right thigh. There was a gaping hole from the corner of the victim's right eye extending to the center of her head from which blood was oozing. The victim's head was splattered with blood."

A "bloody and broken" stick roughly 15 inches long with a screw at the end of it was also protruding from the girl's vagina, according to the documents"

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/06/mexican-national-inmate-on-death-row-creates-international-stir/#ixzz1RRNoDVMJ

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/06/mexican-national-inmate-on-death-row-creates-international-stir/#ixzz1RRNi0XFY
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,222 Senior Member
    Light him up, and set it on extra crispy. He's been an air thief long enough.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Nah ... take his butt out of protective housing and put him in General Pop AND let the other inmates know EXACTLY what he did (of course off the record)! He won't last very long and that death will be more just than lethal injection or the chair ... thieves and murders still can't stand his type and they'll make sure he is punished. Remember Jeffery Dahmer ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Yep, just turn him loose in the exercise yard and let the guards have a 15-minute coffee break! If Obummer wants him alive, let him be his personal bodyguard!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    If you do, you might catch something penicillin can't cure!
    Jerry
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    I like the idea of turning him loose with the other inmates after somebody lets what he did slip. Tying him up with a bunch of hungry feral hogs has merit as well.
    The best option would have been to hit him with a 12lb sledge as soon as the foreman of the jury said guilty. Picture this, the guy is brought back into the courtroom and there is a big tarp on the floor under his chair everyone within fifteen feet is wearing a plastic suit and a deputy behind his chair with a sledge.
    No appeals, no last meal, no death row for 16 years just "Guilty"; SPLAT.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • ken55ken55 Senior Member Posts: 780 Senior Member
    Don't overlook the fact that the Obama administration is trying to enforce a foreign court ruling in a US-jurisdiction case. The US Supreme Court ruled in 2008 that the treaty was not binding on the states - that's buried in the article cited in the OP. Obama is trying to force TX to comply anyway - that's what we should be worried about.
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    Too late. Texas just solved the problem.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,230 Senior Member
    Unless something's changed, he should be due for the long sleep any minute now.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    farm boy wrote: »
    The best option would have been to hit him with a 12lb sledge as soon as the foreman of the jury said guilty. Picture this, the guy is brought back into the courtroom and there is a big tarp on the floor under his chair everyone within fifteen feet is wearing a plastic suit and a deputy behind his chair with a sledge. No appeals, no last meal, no death row for 16 years just "Guilty"; SPLAT.

Can you say Sledge-O-Matic ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPrYulad8W4
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    Another scumbag assumes room temperature! Good for Texas, and Obummer and his bunch of losers just lost another one! Too bad the execution was relatively quick and pain-free!
    Jerry
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,666 Senior Member
    Why didn't he pardon him??
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Buford wrote: »
    Why didn't he pardon him??

He's DUMB not STUPID!

(actually can a Presidential pardon cover a STATE conviction? I don't know if it can or can't ... :uhm:)
    - George Orwell
    :spittingcoffee:

My understanding is he could.

Like you said he's not stupid but if he felt so strongly about it.
    Big Chief wrote: »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/06/mexican-national-inmate-on-death-row-creates-international-stir/?test=latestnews

"President Obama, the State Department and Mexico have all asked Texas for a last-minute reprieve of Humberto Leal, 38, who was convicted in 1995 in the brutal rape and murder of a teenage girl. Citing the U.N.-enforced 1963 Vienna Treaty, the officials believe Leal could have altered his penalty had he been given the chance.

"There was a 30- to 40-pound asphalt rock roughly twice the size of the victim's skull lying partially on the victim's left arm," court documents read. "Blood was underneath this rock. A smaller rock with blood on it was located near the victim's right thigh. There was a gaping hole from the corner of the victim's right eye extending to the center of her head from which blood was oozing. The victim's head was splattered with blood."

A "bloody and broken" stick roughly 15 inches long with a screw at the end of it was also protruding from the girl's vagina, according to the documents"

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/06/mexican-national-inmate-on-death-row-creates-international-stir/#ixzz1RRNoDVMJ

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/06/mexican-national-inmate-on-death-row-creates-international-stir/#ixzz1RRNi0XFY

Holy crap. How did I miss this??

I wish they would go back to good old sparky. This going to sleep crap is to easy.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,151 Senior Member

I wish they would go back to good old sparky. This going to sleep crap is to easy.

How do you figure "easy"? It takes 11 years to get him there (which is FAST as these things are measured), then you have to make sure your lethal injection drugs aren't out of date, then you have to strap the guy up, tube him up, inject him with sleepy drugs, administer the lethal agent, and have a board-certified doctor pronounce him dead.

The reality is that a lot of these guys would probably get off on being disposed of with the slow and creative methods we like to dream up. Expedient, cheap, and quickly forgotten is the way to treat these guys - a pair of 9x19's in the back of the head and then a bill to his family to cover the cost of the ammo and cremation. To paraphrase possibly the best line from the Liam Neeson movie Rob Roy - "I will think of you as dead until the legal system makes you so. Then I will think of you no more"
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,765 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Expedient, cheap, and quickly forgotten is the way to treat these guys - a pair of 9x19's in the back of the head and then a bill to his family to cover the cost of the ammo and cremation. To paraphrase possibly the best line from the Liam Neeson movie Rob Roy - "I will think of you as dead until the legal system makes you so. Then I will think of you no more"

Think of who no more?

It is done...next case, please!
    "Old Sparky" would be a good idea, with one minor modification. Put it on a flatbed trailer, set it up on the courthouse lawn, and have the electric company tap into the nearest high-voltage transformer. March the convicted criminal out of the courtroom, strap him down, and let one of the victim's family close the switch.
    Jerry
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    Think twelve five would do the trick Teach? One phase one the head one one each leg.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Yep, just like a bug zapper!
    Jerry
    Bigslug wrote: »
    How do you figure "easy"? It takes 11 years to get him there (which is FAST as these things are measured), then you have to make sure your lethal injection drugs aren't out of date, then you have to strap the guy up, tube him up, inject him with sleepy drugs, administer the lethal agent, and have a board-certified doctor pronounce him dead.

"

I mean the way he dies. Putting them to sleep is being to nice.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    In his last minutes, Leal repeatedly said he was sorry and accepted responsibility.

"I have hurt a lot of people. ... I take full blame for everything. I am sorry for what I did," he said in the death chamber.

"One more thing," he said as the drugs began taking effect. Then he shouted twice, "Viva Mexico!"

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/07/white-house-seeks-delay-mexican-mans-execution-as-supreme-court-mulls-case/#ixzz1RVb9ia4g
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »

:cuss::mad::nono: Why does Mexico or any other country for that matter of fact get to have any say in our Penal system or choice of punishment? I got two suggestions Put him in the prison system and inform the other inmates of his hanus act, and let them deal with him, or lethal injection, or better yet use him for long range target practice, by expert marksman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
    We agreed to a treaty that's why.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,245 Senior Member
    We agreed to a treaty that's why.
    Yep. When you're in a representative form of government, this is what happens.
    Overkill is underrated.
    The Civil War notwithstanding, there is still the matter of the individual state's sovereignty.

The type of stand that Texas has made here, against the powerful forces who want to 'internationalize' the USA, is what will save this republic, if it gets saved. We are living in a time when tin-horn lawyers are asserting themselves as the self-appointed interpreters of 'the rules,' most of which they helped craft themselves. The letter of the law may be the only way to settle some arguments involving unreasonable or dishonest people, but it is no way to run a republic. It is absolutely not possible to write down laws and rules that will be fair for 300 million individuals who have such varying lifestyles and priorities. That can only be properly done on a regional basis, and even then it will be flawed. But it works because the politicians who want the power still have to go home and face the music from their constituents.

Now is a time when we need to remember what our laws were intended to accomplish, in the first place, and figure out which ones strengthen the republic, or weaken it. The safest way to reform the corrupt use of our legal system is for very popular state governors to disobey the laws they deem unconstitutional. If we let our republic be diminished by those who would use the law to remove individual freedoms, we are doomed to mediocrity.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,245 Senior Member
    Interesting. It seems the Vienna Treaty has already been used to stop an execution. Further, the Supreme Court has ruled that absent U.S. laws to enforce the treaty, it is an agreement with no binding action on the states. The decision was handed down in 2008, and involved another horrendous murder in... Texas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medellin_v._Texas
    Overkill is underrated.
    It sounds like Texans have the manhood to do what's right, regardless of the meddling of politicians who want to give the criminals more rights than the victims. Tall trees and short ropes, and the problem gets solved. The rapists and murderers can't climb out of the graveyard and harm anyone else!
    Jerry
  • blkbird305blkbird305 Member Posts: 219 Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Tall trees and short ropes, and the problem gets solved.

That's the way to do it. None of this expense of the drugs and such of the lethal injection and none of the cost of electricity for the chair. Heck, I'd even donate some rope to the cause.
    Interesting. It seems the Vienna Treaty has already been used to stop an execution. Further, the Supreme Court has ruled that absent U.S. laws to enforce the treaty, it is an agreement with no binding action on the states. The decision was handed down in 2008, and involved another horrendous murder in... Texas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medellin_v._Texas

Well, actually, it only delayed Medellin's execution.

It took about 13 years from the time the crime was committed for it to all get more or less sorted out, but when it finally got back to Rick Perry, he refused pleas from Washington and Mexico, and allowed the execution to proceed. Doing otherwise would have put his career in politics (in Texas) in jeopardy.

When it is all said and done, Texas has not 'rushed to judgment' on death penalty cases, at least in recent years, but it has been fairly consistent in assuring that a properly prosecuted criminal pays the price, in the end. Personally, I don't mind a reasonable appeals process, if the quality of the convicting evidence is in question, but the international courts need to understand that the United States federal government does not have the right to usurp the sovereign powers of one of its individual states.
    blkbird305 wrote: »
    That's the way to do it. None of this expense of the drugs and such of the lethal injection and none of the cost of electricity for the chair. Heck, I'd even donate some rope to the cause.

and a rope is REUSABLE!!!
    - George Orwell